The fastest you've driven?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
Hi, Foster - that's interesting!

Hmm, maybe I'll start a topic called Venice in the seventies.
I'll put it in the North America forum.

Edit to say here's the link:

Venice in the Seventies
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39461
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:09 pm
Humm.......a 113 mph in my firebird that I had. That was in the Foothills of the Oachitau Mountains. Twisted, curvy roads..but I hit that in the narrows..fairly straight. Didn't have to worry about the local deputies pulling me over.

106 on a motorcycle, which I was passenger on. That was WILD......I kept wondering why the guy that was driving was smiling at me in the mirror. I figured it out when I felt my shirt slap me in the face..it had come unbuttoned and was up..LOL
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:14 pm
I've ridden my bicycle all over the Oachitaus. I don't know where you ever found a straightaway longer than 1/8 of a mile. Those roads are twisty but the scenery is great. Sometimes some ol' girl will come barrelling down the highway on the back of a motorcycle with her shirt over her head..........
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:51 pm
When Dys and I drove to San Francisco this spring, I was driving on one of those long, straight, empty roads in Nevada. Dys looks over and says, "Wanna have some fun?" I said sure and he said FLOOR IT. This was the 1989 Porsche and the first time I had ever driven a sports car. I hit between 125 and 135 before I started to slow down. When I thought I'd reached the speed limit, Dys turned to me and said, "Diane, you're still going 100mph."

To this crowd that isn't very fast, but to me it was the most fantastic thing in the world. The Porsche loved going that fast--it was as if it suddenly came alive, unlike a regular American car that would have been falling apart at the seams.

That rush is definitely addictive!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
Diane, German cars are definitely "in place" at higher speeds. I had a 4-cyl Jetta that drove great at 100+ speeds, and my last BMW...amazing at 100+, felt so smooth and capable. Not that I drove that fast alot, but sometimes you just gotta do it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 10:57 am
Even my pre-21st century BMW is happy as a clam at 100+.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Even my pre-21st century BMW is happy as a clam at 100+.

To bad the car in your avatar goes nowhere!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:33 pm
What, spillover from the insult thread?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What, spillover from the insult thread?

I'm sorry <head is down, feeling shameful>

Actually, you have the nicest avatar car on the board. Can I take it for a spin?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 02:16 pm
Actually Joe.....your right, there aren't many straight shots in the mountains here. But this piece I'm talking about...you come out of one curve.....straight shot, head into another one and then its a straight shot again.....the road is wide and 4 lanes..so you can handle it.

We still call it the narrows, it was rebuilt back in the early 90's, they hauled in loads, upon loads of dirt and built the highway up...and over what we used to call "dead mans curve". What they did to it, actually helped it out..considering it looked like a someone had followed a snake around when the first pavement was laid.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:36 pm
Slappy said:

Quote:
Not that I drove that fast alot, but sometimes you just gotta do it.

Exactly!! Why have that beautifully engineered car if you can't push the envelope once in a while.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
Diane wrote:

Exactly!! Why have that beautifully engineered car if you can't push the envelope once in a while.

Would you mind if I quote you when I get the two photos of me (and my car), taken yesterday on the autobahn? Laughing
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:23 pm
I wonder if there has ever been a speeding ticket issued here in Colombia. The highway patrol here is the Army and I suspect if they don't like the way you're driving they'll just shoot with the perfectly reasonable excuse that you might have been FARC in a stolen vehicle.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:33 pm
We climbed the 21 miles to Queen Wilhillemena Lodge on a clear autumn Friday morning. I set my speedometer to 'beep' at 50mph and we headed back down the switchbacks. That speedometer beeped six or seven times on the downhills and twice while I was trying to figure out which piles of gravel would hold me the best around the curve. We roared back into Mena by three in the afternoon and the max speed showed 61.3 mph. Just shows it pays to be a little over the weight limit if you need the extra speed.

It took us over two hours to climb up and a little over twenty minutes to come down. Hoorah.

Joe
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 08:51 pm
Wow Joe...I'm impressed!!

BTW, thats not far from me, ever heard of Degray Lake?
0 Replies

XBOX MAD

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
I went on a track day and went in a Aston Martin DB9 (the new model) some famous old person was givin out rides for money(ofcourse) and we went 196mph. thats the fastest ive ever been. also i want to design for Aston Martin!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:44 pm
XBOX, not to rain on your parade, but most cars read higher than true speed at higher speeds.

I've read that car's top speed is 171-185. Not that there's a big difference anyway. I wish I could drive that car at that speed....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
I forgot I did 130mpg on a KZ-1000 - never again!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
I once drove a '68 Roadrunner GTX at above 160 miles per hour on a five mile stretch of uncompleted interstate (it had a 160 mph speedometer, and i buried the peg). We had to drive over a cornfield to get there, but the car owner didn't mind. We all took turns. I was 17 years old. I was drunk. I cannot now imagine doing that.

Boss I had a 69 factory hemi - buried it just a couple times - the fron end got to light also buried a mustang mach1 was all over the road with that baby.

In about 1991 I buried a Porsche Turbo Cerra(sp) - spent about 2 hours sporting around in that baby - it was a reward from a EVP Laughing
0 Replies

tommystang

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:20 am
In a car it was a Subaru WRX Sti AT 165MPH
On a Bike it was a GsxR 750 that was 175MPH
I LOVE SPEED!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO JOIN THE 200 CLUB!!!!!
0 Replies