The fastest you've driven?

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
The Viper does it in under 4.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:06 pm
A friend and I once found ourselves in Columbus OH with a 69 Ford Galaxie that would not recharge the battery. So we made all possible haste getting back to Boston before dark so we wouldn't have to use the headlights. At one point I was doing a buck-fifteen on I-80 in Pennsylvania.

Never again.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:33 pm
George given the suspension, tires etc of a '69 Galaxie I bet 115 was more thrill than you ever wanted. At least the highway is pretty straight.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:45 pm
i tried out a government car once, in 1991 I think, when for some reason the Prosecutor General was giving me a ride from Prague to Bratislava. Those cars were a heritage from the communist era. They were called 613, they don't make em no more. He let me try it out on a highway, I must have been 16 or 17. It went 220 km/hour. The best part about those was no policeman would ever dream of stopping you. Even if the legal age to drive is 18!. Ex's bimmer was a fun ride too, especially since it leaned into the curve when you turned, not away like my Honda.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
I think the fastest was 150 something in a Lexus SC400 with minor mods. My Z3 Roadster had a governor that stopped her from going faster than 128mph, with half the peddle to go. I found out on my way to Wisconsin she got better gas mileage at that speed than she did in the city. Other than the tunnel vision effect, you'd never know you were going fast; smooth as can be (knocked 8 hours off Rand McNally). I took all my cars to their limit at one point or other... and that was the only one that hugged the road more as you increased speed instead of getting "light".

In a related event; I jumped a Honda CRX 176ft, a record I believe still stands today, in Walworth County, WI. I was cruising down a steep hill and it just didn't dawn on me that highway NN would act as a ski jump if I crossed it going 100 mph! Blew out all 4 shock towers when I landed and then proceeded to roll end over end into one ditch only to fly over the road to the other. It took about 30 seconds to figure out the car was upside down and then another 30 to find the only space big enough to crawl out the accordion. It is apparently true-> God protects drunks and children. A knuckle on my left thumb hurt a little for a couple of weeks. Other than that; not a bump, bruise or scratch. Good times. Cool
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:55 am
You won't find roads to do that in Costa Rica.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
Pitter wrote:
You won't find roads to do that in Costa Rica.
Too true. 100 Kilometers per hour seems awfully fast on those roads. :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:19 am
I actually drive pretty fast on a daily basis - 80 m/h is
normal on southern Californian roads.

A few weeks ago, a new freeway was opened that connects 2 parallel running interstate highways and very few cars
ride on it so far. There I let go and drive around 100 to
120 m/h.

Once I got stopped on the way to Arizona through the
ever so boring desert - clocking in at 110 m/h. The CHP
officer was very nice though and talked at great lenght
to me, why it is so dangerous to speed and so on.....
When he finally gave me my ticket it read 90+ on it Mr. Green

Nonetheless, the ticket cost me 295 Dollars http://www.borge.diesal.de/shock.gif
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:43 am
I know Walworth County NN pretty well, O'Bill ... scared myself a few times on it, a few times crossin' it. Flew right across it into the cornfield one night due to operatin' while stupid westbound on Weaver Road. That was embarrassin' as all hell ... had a date with me in the car.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:18 am
I was heading down Springfield Rd from Como on my way to the White Fox Den in Burlington for a late night snack when I crossed it. I shut the head lights off for a second to make sure no one was coming the other way, but I didn't think about what that level, even lipped surface would do in the middle of a hill at that speed. They measured the jump from where the steel cut into the road upon landing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
I did something like that once on a snowmobile. Hit a bump under the snow that we couldn't see at about 60MPH. We paced the jump off at well over 100'. Actually landed cleanly.
0 Replies

thatoneguy

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:04 am
I've gone over 450MPH flying back to and back from Germany, but in a car the fastest I've been was somewhere between 180-200MPH. It was in a 97 C5 with a supercharged 427. Don't know how accurate the speedo was and I didn't want to ask the driver to take his eyes off the road and tell me what he thinks...i'll see if I still have the video on my computer
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:14 am
Wow, post it if you have that.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:28 am
I hit 110 mph on a Tijuana highway (if you could call it like that...). The road was bumpy, and the ride was a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. I had to take an exit real quickly and almost passed it. Though it would have been better, cause I almost lost control of the car but damaged just a front bumper.

6 months after that the motor died and the car was sold for 750 dollars. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cmorbutts

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:49 pm
A car 120mph ( 1970 Plymouth roadrunner)
a motorcycle 105 (1978 Yamaha RD 400)
A bicycle 50 mph ( Chased by vicious dog)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:51 pm
a bicycle at 50 mph....must have been a helluva downhill.
0 Replies

imapom

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:28 pm
Have managed 130mph in a diesel Bora on the M6.
Also 130mph in a F355 on a racetrack (couldn't go on the road - boo hoo)
And have been clocked by a friend in a car at 57mph on a mountain bike - stopped pedalling well before that.
Have also been on the back of a motorbike at 140mph and it was bloody scary - down the middle of the road overtaking everything.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
Sunfire GT and like 130MPH
My crash in a Cavalier was like 100MPH which kinda sucked since I broke my arm and had glass all in my face....but I am okay now...I hope...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:34 am
Tried the other day to find out, if my new car [Opel Astra 1.9 CDTI] really does the 140 miles as advertised: could well be: 150 on the speedometer on the autobahn (legally, of course).
0 Replies

adastran

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:44 pm
Coincidentally, I knew Gerry Weigert in exactly the same way
We must have rented the upstairs West Washington studio right after Ossbuco. I signed up with this forum in hopes of exchanging an email with her about it, but find I don't yet have PM privileges. If you want to, O, it would be fun to compare reminiscences about Venice in the 70's.

Foster

ossobuco wrote:
I've driven fast by proxy -

But, back in '74, my downstairs neighbor was Gerald Weigert, the guy who designed the Vector. Heh, he bought my annoying Chevy van, taking over my payments on that lemon. I only saw him drive the Vector down what was then West Washington Blvd, now known as Abbot Kinney Blvd., at a stately pace, but I could hear what it might do, rrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm.
0 Replies