The fastest you've driven?

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
Dunno, slap. I had a '79 Datsun pickup that someone before me had put a 5-speed in to get it going a little faster on a freeway. I drove it up and down California one weekend after a piece of tail, going about 80 the whole way. Destroyed the head. Damn thing just couldn't take it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:05 pm
I dunno about cars, but the fastest I have driven...probably under 2 minutes, but I was 15.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:15 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I dunno about cars, but the fastest I have driven...probably under 2 minutes, but I was 15.

Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:18 pm
Yeah, I've matured since then doglover. Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:49 pm
Yea, now Cav doesn't waste time....30 seconds is the norm. I mean, after all, who cares?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:56 pm
patiodog wrote:
Dunno, slap. I had a '79 Datsun pickup that someone before me had put a 5-speed in to get it going a little faster on a freeway. I drove it up and down California one weekend after a piece of tail, going about 80 the whole way. Destroyed the head. Damn thing just couldn't take it.

Chasing tail??? My mother use to use that expression when talking about my brothers!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:03 pm
The GTX we were using in a failed attempt to incinerate ourselves had a 440 with Holley dual-quads and a Mopar "slap-stick" automatic transmission. It took about three miles to peg out the 160 speedometer, and then you needed just about all of the remaining two miles to slow down and turn it around. If a ground squirrel had run under the tires, i have no doubt we'd all have been toast.

But my friend Jeff and i had the most fun at low speed. He had a '58 Buick, and his daddy (a farmer) had a shed full of re-treads. We'd throw about four or five of them in the trunk, and head out to the strip mines, where the crushed-rock haulage roads are about eight lanes wide. We'd crank the wheel all the way over, and "cut fuzzies" (known to Yankees, i believe, as "doin' doughnuts") until we hit the ditch. We'd count the number of complete circles we made by counting the number of times we'd see the moon passed the windshield before we ditched it. Far more fun than simply driving fast.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
HOW DRUNK WERE YOU KNUCKLEHEADS!??!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:06 pm
Well, come on EOE, bein' drunk was essential . . . in those days, for ten bucks, you could fill the tank and buy two packs of cigarettes and a case of PBR . . . and get change . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
Pabst Blue Ribbon eh....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
Took me awhile to decipher PBR. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 03:12 pm
What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon
What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon
What'll ya have
Pabst Blue Ribbon
Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer!

. . . ah, the good ol' days . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 04:38 pm
As a young man, I was know as "Speed" Ratzenhofer because of my propensity to tear down the local streets at breakneck speeds.

Here is a rare photo of me being chased by a parade.

http://www.blankspacecomics.com/Brett-Tractor-Pic.jpg

I managed to escape, and, if I remember correctly, I had that ol' tractor up to 37 mph on that particular day.

I believe that's the fastest I've ever driven.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 05:14 pm
Yall are (or were) crazy. I never drive real fast (I have a van) but I lived for awhile in Capetown. Once a month or so, I would hitchhike the 1000 miles to Jo'burg to visit a girlfriend. 1000 miles of pretty much desert, with drivers of unpredictable expertise. (More than once in my years of thumbing I would tell the driver to pull over RIGHT NOW because I was about to barf--and I would leave).
Anyway, not once but twice I got picked up by this guy heading in the same direction. Italian-South African with a nice car. He was a great driver who knew every stretch of that highway. 110-120 mph for a sustained distance of hundreds of miles, with opera on the sound system and he didn't mind when I had no problem with my dozing off. In a car going 120 mph. -rjb-
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:16 pm
I've driven fast by proxy -
myself, I have gone 105 in my fairly new Fiat Spyder of what year, oh, 1971 or so, and like Soz, I have found myself going 90 on some california highways in whatever car. I try not to do that for many reasons now.

But, back in '74, my downstairs neighbor was Gerald Weigert, the guy who designed the Vector. Heh, he bought my annoying Chevy van, taking over my payments on that lemon. I only saw him drive the Vector down what was then West Washington Blvd, now known as Abbot Kinney Blvd., at a stately pace, but I could hear what it might do, rrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The black car in the link is later and a tad smoother looking than the red vector he had when we were in the same building (we had art studio/gallery/theater upstairs, and he had one of the three storefronts downstairs.) http://www.team.net/www/ktud/vector.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:20 pm
Great description, realjohnboy...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 07:21 pm
1972 in my '63 Valiant with a slant 6 and three on the tree I hit 100 mph on the Route 66 parkway to Dulles Airport. Man, I was alive and the speedometer didn't go any higher.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
220 kph - about 135 mph with my dad's BMW. The fastest my car goes is around 125 mph. Of course, you have to drive this fast from time to time on the autobahn... :-) It's good for the car!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 06:07 am
Pan, those 225 slant sixes were the whip. They had hemi-heads, and could develop quite a lot of power. My mother's Dart with a 225 would do over 100 mph, and the was with me and my two brothers inside--well over 600 pounds. Gutsy little engine . . .
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
About 135mph in a 1983 Rover V8 Vitesse gaining on a Williams Renault Clio on the Knock dual carriageway Belfast N Ireland
0 Replies