The fastest you've driven?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:44 pm
dlowan wrote:
150 miles an hour.

Honda 450.

Don't ask.

Unless you were dropped out of a plane strapped to that, don't see how that would happen...explain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
Don't ask me - I was on the damn back!!!!

Aaaah, hang on - got the bikes confused - this was on a Kawasaki 750 (they were pretty quick in the 70's - don't know about now?) - Me then fella raced the thing - and was used to speed - I was too scared to pummel him to stop at that speed. The people with us (behind us) did the clocking.

The Honda story is a spooky one, though. He got into a race on the freeway with his friends on the big, fast bikes. He didn't like to be beaten.....

I don't know what speed we got to on the damn Honda. My shoes were worn down - nemmind the goddamn footpegs. I guess he beat the superbikes on the bends?

I was REALLY mad about that one. He wasn't usually that stupid.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:02 am
I see the Neon SRT-4 has 230 hp and a 0-60 of 5.9 however also read the comment "it's loud and it's raw". Sounds like fun at stoplights but maybe a little punishing on a cross country trip.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:28 am
Pitter wrote:
I see the Neon SRT-4 has 230 hp and a 0-60 of 5.9 however also read the comment "it's load and it's raw". Sounds like fun at stoplights but maybe a little punishing on a cross country trip.

Well yea, it is a Neon. Would you want to drive any Neon long distance? Those cars plain out suck. That SRT-4 was designed for pretty much 18 year old guys.
0 Replies

427stroker

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
about 145 in an 87 supra. an awesome ride i might ad
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
Welcome stroke...and could you please slow down?
0 Replies

427stroker

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:09 pm
slow down?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:21 pm
How about this (posted elsewhere before -- illegal things---) for highest average speed over the longest stretch???

New Year's Weekend 1968

Mike and I left St. Louis, Mo on our way to San Angelo, Texas at noon on a Sunday. The car : a 1967 four-speed Mustang.

It's about a thousand miles. He was moaning about how he really wanted to see his girl but her dorm closed at 10:30pm. Then he went to sleep.

When he woke up it was about five o'clock. (We had already driven west from NYC for a day and half. )
He wanted to know if we were in Tulsa yet.
No.
Oklahoma City?
No

No, I said,we're passed all that. I've already gassed up twice and we are 20 miles south of Wichita Falls, TX. That's about 650 miles in a little over five hours. You figure out just how fast that little horsey went, I don't know anything except I kept that little needle pressed up against the end of the speedometer the whole time. And I ignored all those "Don't drive into smoke" signs.....

He took over and drove the last 235 miles on two lane roads to the San Angelo State University dorm in time to get a good night kiss.

So, St. Louis to San Angelo in ten hours and fifteen minutes. The worst part was the last six blocks, trying hard not to go 60 in a 15mph zone.

Joe

(ps: I've talked to Mike recently. He says it was right at 5:30 when he started driving, so I figure 118 mph average speed....... don't tell my ma.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:32 pm
No.

I won't.

Tell her.

j/osso
0 Replies

trailor

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:48 am
My dad's 95 windstar with a 155hp 3.8L is said to top out at 105mph... i got it to 105 a couple times, but im scared to go any higher because after i hit 90, the thing shakes like its about to fall apart...

My 95 Taurus GL wit the 2001 mustang 3.8L in it producin 190hp has a speedometer that only goes up to 85 and no tach Sad however, i know i've done well over 120mph, because my friends 96 taurus with a special racin tranny, but only a regular 3.0L, tops out at 120mph and i've been able to pass him up quite a few times Very Happy

My dad said that back in the 60's when he had his 64 corevette, he went up to 135mph, said he wouldnt try doin any faster, considering he was beginning to run out of road

I've gotten my bicycle, a huffy mountain bike, well above 40mph, i'd hafta to ask my friend chris, who had the speedometer on his bike, if he remembers how fast we were actually goin... we took a reaaaally steep downhill in Natchez, MS... man that was incredibly envigorating... if i woulda slightly tapped the brakes, i wouldve probably died... seriously...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
140MPH in a Mercedes 450SLC going downhill.

120+ in my current 3-series BMW. It's only supposed to go 115, but don't tell it.

300+ knots in a Piper Cheyenne II.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
My 6 year old 2.0 ltr Diesel still does 110 miles - on autobahns I drive 90 to 100, when possible.

The new model, I will get within the next 4 weeks, can do up to 140 - I can only test it, when Mrs. Walter isn't a passenger.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:33 pm
Not really a speed story, but sorta fun anyhow ...

Sometime back in the early '70s, one of the national car rental firms offered a one-week, unlimited mileage special. Havin' the time to spare, my brother, one of his idiot buddies, and myself went down to the local rent-a-car franchise and got ourselves a brand-spankin' new (it had about 300 miles on it) Lincoln Town Car for the week. We pulled out of the lot around 1:30 on a Monday afternoon. Rotatin' the drivin' among ouselves, stoppin' only for gas, minor maintenance, food, and rest-room breaks - pretty much consolidated into single all-function interuptions - we did one lap of America, proceding Eastward from the Chicago area to follow the Great Lakes shores through Michigan, down into Ohio, across a corner of Pennsylvania, up through Upstate New York, touched a bit of Vermont and New Hampshire, through and back down Maine and then down the Eastern Seaboard to follow Florida's coastline all the way around to start our Westward leg along the Gulf Coasts of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, turning Northward at Brownsville to more or less track Texas' Western border, then across New Mexico (where we had an unexpected interuption to replace a failed tire - fortunately, the Lincoln had a full-size spare), Arizona and California, turning Northward again to follow the Western Seaboard up through Oregon and Washington, then back Eastward through Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota, into Wisconsin, following first the Lake Superior shore then the Michigan border to reach the Western Lake Michigan shore, which we followed back Southward and around to return to the suburban Chicago rental car franchise from which we had begun our trek. A little before noon on the Monday following our start, we pulled back into the rental lot. In about 166½ hours, that Lincoln had racked up just short of 11,275 miles (which works out to a 24/7 average of not quite 68MPH). The girl at the rental counter, once she had overcome her disbelief, was aghast. We were satisfied.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:02 pm
Great story.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:14 am
timber - that's a great story.

My brother and his girlfriend rented a car in Capetown a few years ago. They knew their 10 week trip was going to be long and found one place that gave unlimited mileage.

In a standard compact Nissan, they drove a 10,000 mile tour including Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and back down the other side of South Africa.

Again, the rental owner was aghast and they had to pay for the repair of a scratch but a deal was a deal. What they only realised afterwards was that for 7 of the 10 weeks (when they were outside South Africa) they were completely uninsured!

KP
0 Replies

Trader4Less

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:33 pm
Fast!
The fastest is when I was in highschool I drove my friends Dodge R/T 440...from 90 to 130 in a heart beat!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:38 am
Yeah, no one asked "What was the fastest car you've ever driven". Mine by far was a Dodge Viper, though I didn't have a road to really test it out on. I had it up to 100 on an expressway (not a freeway), without even realizing how fast I was going.
0 Replies

Trader4Less

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Viper
Vipers are fast. My good buddy has a 2000 Viper and when he takes me for a ride we are the center of attraction. I have learned never to go out riding with him in the rain...squirrely to say the least! SOme day I hope he will let me drive it.
0 Replies

Trader4Less

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
Vipers are fast. My good buddy has a 2000 Viper and when he takes me for a ride we are the center of attraction. I have learned never to go out riding with him in the rain...squirrely to say the least! SOme day I hope he will let me drive it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
I've driven the new M3, new-body Corvettes, and one car I remember driving that was a rocket in a straight line was a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Probably the quickest was the M3 though, they hit 0-60 in under 5 seconds.
0 Replies