The fastest you've driven?

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 01:35 pm
Vacation out west. 1am driving on the loneliest road in America somewhere in Arizona or thereabouts. Absolutely flat and straight. Wife and sister asleep. Curious to see what our '96 VW Passat, turbo diesel would do. With pedal left, I copped out at just under a hundred. Road in a taxi in Germany and had to sit in the front passenger seat. When he got up to 160kph and still was accelerating, I decided I had better things to do than watch a silly old speedometer.

I've had several VW's and I noticed something about them which may be true of other makes as well. At 90mph, the car just seemed happier, more in tune with itself, more comfortable and settled in, and the sound of the motor seemed less strained than driving 75mpg. I attribute it to the idea that the car was made to cruise at 90mph on the autobahn. ???
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
I second that...I had a 97 Jetta 4cyl, only 115hp, but according to the speedo it topped out at 120(or 125?)mph, but was smooth, quiet, and very unsettled. That car was fun on the highway, could cut lanes pretty quickly at higher speeds. The BMW's I had were also like that, but to a higher degree.
0 Replies

ropes

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
well lets see we did have it bord 30 over, and beefed up intake, a few other things but nothing to radical
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
My new $16,000 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo w/190 hp (also badged Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eagle Talon) was tested by magazines to 145 mph but the fastest I ran it before fear of the Wyoming Highway Patrol overcame me was 125. What amazed me was the car "launched" even at that speed when I nailed the gas. I'd like to know if any other car (w/air, cruise control power windows and four wheel disk brakes) since has offered that bang and top end for those bucks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:19 pm
On the way home last night I hit 115 in a Lancer. I was too skeerd of getting a ticket (I've had 2-3 in fewer months, dunno if it's two or three yet cause of a flash that hit me) to push it faster, plus the hill started going up (instead of the down I accelerated on).

If I get another ticket slappy, I'm goan kick you.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
That's right! Blame Slappy for your lead foot.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:54 pm
No no, I never speed (cept when I speed, and I got caught each time).

I'm all paranoid because of the tickets and drive like a grandma.

But Slappy made me curious.....

I'm gonna have to find out how fast it goes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:03 pm
For God's sakes be careful Craven!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 03:28 pm
Pitter, the new Dodge Neon SRT is under $20K and will hit about 150mph, I believe. It's a 220ish hp turbo, 0-60 in around 5 seconds.

Craven, is the Lancer what you ended up buying? If it's a regular Lancer, it'll probably top out around 115-120, my guess. But you don't have to take my word for it, go try again.

I think my current car, an 01 Maxima is the only car I've owned and not done a top speed test on. I think I remember reading it'll hit 135. I'm all set with that ticket right now.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 04:10 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Craven, is the Lancer what you ended up buying?

Yep. But I've put so many miles on it now that I already want a different one (like a Maxima).

Quote:
If it's a regular Lancer, it'll probably top out around 115-120, my guess. But you don't have to take my word for it, go try again.

I got the feeling it could do a bit more than the 115 I backed off at. It was still picking up speed, but it was also downhill (I picked a long bridge that goes downhill cause there were no cars on it and no places for cops to hide).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 10:25 pm
How can I warn him, I who like speed in appropriate places..? Aren't three tickets the charm?

Or does one with traffic school not count? Curious minds want to know whether to be concerned. (I trust craven for safety reasons, mostly, as far as these things go, but rather he would test this stuff in ... Montana.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm
Slappy the SRT Neon sounds like a blast. Wonder how "refined" it is (or isn't).
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:21 am
The Neon is as refined as a Neon. They've always been pretty shoddy cars, and I'm sure with the turbo and everything this car isn't any different. I'm sure it's fun to drive though.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 08:35 am
I've managed 74mph on a 125cc scooter - knees in, elbows in, chin against the speedo, down a massive hill near Scarborough in the North York Moors. That's obviously not as fast as some have posted here, but on a machine with 12" wheels that weighs about 120kg (260lbs) in the dark and on a wet, twisting road... I was s***ing my pants!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:54 am
I'm sure 74mph on a little scooter doesn't feel too stable. That's what makes it fun though.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:58 am
Yeah, Slappy. I learned to sit still at speeds over 30mph after the time I reached across with my right hand to push up the sleeve on my left arm to check the time on my watch, and promptly swerved off the road and into a hedge. All I broke was a wing-mirror but definately a lesson learned!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
150 miles an hour.

Honda 450.

Don't ask.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
WOOOOOOW
I bet your ears were pinned back.
0 Replies