cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:43 am
@saab,
With the freedom of religion, it seems those who fear Muslims are ignoring the laws of the land. Criminals, no matter what religion they belong to, should be prosecuted for their crime. Fearing a whole race or religious belief is just discrimination and ignorance.
saab

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
It is much more complicated than just to say they are criminals.
1. female genital mutilation it is often done when the family is back in their country and it will first be noticed when the girl is grown up
2. Forced marriage. How can you punish that? It is not against the law and also often happens in their original country.
3. Marriage with underages girls. Take place again in their homeland and cannot be punished in our western world.
The list is long. Unfortunately the moderate or modern Muslims very seldom critize or condam the situation.
After the add is a film which shows the situation for millions girls
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3481796/Child-bride-seen-preparing-big-day-grown-MAN-video-highlighting-horror-underage-marriages.html
saab

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:19 am
@saab,
It is also sometimes the fault of too political correct Scandinavians.
For years there was served vegetarian food, pork meat and another type of meat in schools and day care centers. All of a sudden a P.C Scandinavian has the idea that Muslim children should not have to see porkmeat even. So out it goes. Then the Muslims are blamed when it was not their idea.
The Scandinavians have become more P,C in a negative way and the Muslims more radical.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 02:25 pm
@saab,
That's almost funny. Similar situation happened at UC Berkeley, because there were too many Asians attending - representing some 40% of the student body. Other minorities, blacks and Hispanics, cried foul. Now, Asians are over represented at the university, so their numbers are being reduced to allow other minorities to attend.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 02:30 pm
@saab,
Here's another issue about education at UC Berkeley and Stanford.
http://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/fall-2015-questions-race/coloring-lines-how-racially-diverse-should-elite
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 02:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good article, many facets to it, a saver for me; thanks for the link.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2016 01:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
That is something like equality. Same amount of men and women in certain workplaces and preferable in the government.
That is the end of " best person gets the job"
It is discrimenating to not let the best come first. I want a good doctor, a competent teacher, a banker who knows what s/he does. My cleaninglady should clean better than I do.
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 12:21 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

That is something like equality. Same amount of men and women in certain workplaces and preferable in the government.
That is the end of " best person gets the job"
It is discrimenating to not let the best come first. I want a good doctor, a competent teacher, a banker who knows what s/he does. My cleaninglady should clean better than I do.

Definately "affirmative action" or quotas is not a perfect solution. Or, I think, meant to be a permanant solution. I think it was the only way the govt could think of, to give certain "stereotyped" peoples a way of getting their foot in the door. It was hoped, once white america realized blacks and mexicans and asians could be just as qualified, the racism would relax. Of course that can backfire in some ways. But without it, do you think things would be better today?
saab

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 12:57 pm
@Lilkanyon,
How do we know if things would be worse today or not. It is not only laws that change but also people. Often laws are changed because of how people think.
Would you believe me if I told you that within a certain group of women in Denmark there is a discussion if stoning an unfaithful woman is ok and if it is ok to beat a wife who does not obey her husband.?
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:11 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

How do we know if things would be worse today or not. It is not only laws that change but also people. Often laws are changed because of how people think.
Would you believe me if I told you that within a certain group of women in Denmark there is a discussion if stoning an unfaithful woman is ok and if it is ok to beat a wife who does not obey her husband.?

Is scandanavia buying the Muslim propoganda? Its so hard to believe. But lets put this into persepective. In "white" America, men fear losing their position of power to blacks, mexicans...ect. I dont know much about Scandanavian areas, but, as of yet, I will go on a limb and say that male WHITE majority is not threatened yet by "people of color." Except by female white majorities. So...again...its racism (sexism). Call it what you want. Anytime a majority ruler feals threatened, they consider action to suppress that threat. It sounds like women might be gaining just too much power for men to handle. Is that what is going on?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:15 pm
@Lilkanyon,
“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”: FDR
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:44 pm
@saab,
I'm rereading this thread, remarking about one of posts on page 4 (that's a guess since I can't see the page number now that I am replying) - Sweden is where my Estonian friend landed, courtesy of Sweden. Thank you folks. She with her family showed up in Los Angeles in time for her high school participation. We've a 50+ year friendship since I met her in a university embryology class in '60.

As an aside, that was a good year, when I got to know a spectrum of people from cultures new to me. I think that made my brain actually grow.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm rereading this thread, remarking about one of posts on page 4 (that's a guess since I can't see the page number now that I am replying) - Sweden is where my Estonian friend landed, courtesy of Sweden. Thank you folks. She with her family showed up in Los Angeles in time for her high school participation. We've a 50+ year friendship since I met her in a university embryology class in '60.

As an aside, that was a good year, when I got to know a spectrum of people from cultures new to me. I think that made my brain actually grow.

See? I think thats a HUGE factor! How can anyone have an opinion about a peoples youve never gotten to know. Cruz, for example, critisized Trump for being a New Yorker, so thereby not a true conservative. Thats not about Trump, thats about attacking his "wordly" experiences. Being corrupted by liberalism, aka, meeting new people with different ideas. New York is notoriously liberal. Thats a good thing! But the south has no clue. They are still licking the wounds of the civil war and civil rights. They dont handle change and it reflects in the politics. There are a few bright blue spots in the south. But they are minorities. And those under threat of becoming blue are now curtailed by voter laws recently in effect.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:57 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Mmm, my last home town area was Humboldt county. Never did get to Medford.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 12:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Haha! Stopped permanantley for the really good weed? 😝
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:03 pm
@Lilkanyon,
from page six, if you don't completely get the reply system (not saying you don't)

I've thought for a long time, semi chuckling to myself, that miscegenation is the answer. That's a smartass point about a very ugly word, but there is some truth to it, in that familiarity doesn't routinely have to mean contempt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I wasn't clear, as she was a d.p. (displaced person) as a young child, not sure what age.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This was the portion of your post I was commenting most too. Meeting new people and appreciating where they came from and who they are, to me, is what all modern society, not just America, should be about. But I would love if we led the way with that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:20 pm
@Lilkanyon,
I'm a pre boomer, and never got entirely into mj. Also, never against it, except for the young. I'm waiting to see if I can grow some seeds in my own place if I have a pained life in the future, a reasonable possibility. If so, getting serious pain, new laws will let me buy it? That is not enough. I want to be able to grow it a bit.
Off topic, of course.
Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 01:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Lol! Gotcha...sorry for the joke. Humbolt county is notorious for MJ