Lilkanyon

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2016 05:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh wow! Oregon no longer displays the state flag of Mississippi! I live just south of OR in CA and do alot of shopping in Medford and I love their progressive stance. Same time, I was born and raised in LA, right next to MS, of course, where racism is still rife. Black people there still will not look a white person in the eye. Their fear of the KKK and a shotgun in every truck keeps blacks, "under control." Exactly where the 2nd admendment wants them.
saab

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 12:28 am
@Lilkanyon,
I certainly did not likeyou to call your country people primitive at that time.
First of all it is not easy when a war is going on and you think that a person might be on the enemy´s side. It has nothing to do with being republican or democrate. It has to do with fear. Fear that also was on the other side of the fence. Which was mixed with the feelings of where I come from and whom I am today.
I am thankful to every soldier amonst the Allies
As far as I know it was the same for the Germans during WWI
And it was thanks the first of all the British and then the Americans that we in Europe were freed from Hitler and his regiment.
This is what the Allies found in the KZ and these are surviors
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Mauthausen-survivors-2-sq.jpg[img][/img]
NSFW (view)
Lilkanyon

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 01:08 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

I certainly did not likeyou to call your country people primitive at that time.
First of all it is not easy when a war is going on and you think that a person might be on the enemy´s side. It has nothing to do with being republican or democrate. It has to do with fear. Fear that also was on the other side of the fence. Which was mixed with the feelings of where I come from and whom I am today.
I am thankful to every soldier amonst the Allies
As far as I know it was the same for the Germans during WWI
And it was thanks the first of all the British and then the Americans that we in Europe were freed from Hitler and his regiment.
This is what the Allies found in the KZ and these are surviors
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Mauthausen-survivors-2-sq.jpg[img][/img]

When did I call my countrymen primative? And when do I need to be reminded of how valiant our soldiers fought for the freedom of Europe. And why do I needed to be reminded of the horrors of concentration camps, like I am unaware of that tragedy. I live and breathe those lessons every day, every time I hear Trump open his stupid mouth, I imagine him laughing over his Trump wine while immigrants starve to death...while he drones on and on about how rich he is, immigrants fleeing war torn nations drown in boats. While they pray for a safe future for their children, he speaks of killing them all like infesting rats. The Jews were denied entry into the US during WW2. So dont speak to me of the horrors of that day, at least I wasnt alive to be ashamed of them, but I carry the guilt even still. And I wasnt alive, again, to experience the bad decisions made that day, but I am sure seeing it now! Every goddamn vote for Donald Trump is a vote for fascism, hatred, intolerance, sacrifice of freedom! This is the price we are paying for pulling funding from schools to give our children a decent education. We have created a nation of bigoted idiots!
I am angry and disappointed and ashamed.
saab

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 03:31 am
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
We were a barbaric people then,

That is what you said and the person probably was a republican.
I am sorry if I did hurt you by saying that, but I just felt it was wrong what you said.
I do not think anybody should have to carry the guilt of the generation before them. Ethics and morals change, so we do not know why they did what they did. There are exceptions when we can be sad about how the generation before us was - but carry guilt no. We can do our best to change things for the better.
What does Trump have to do with what happened ages ago? We have idiots over here running politics.
Hopefully Trump will loose and we will never see him as a president.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:18 pm
@saab,
Ahh, I had to go back and read all of what I said and tie many posts into the one post you returned. In the 30's and 40's, the world was a barbaric place, as it still is...but America was a barbaric place! We interned Japananse, we denied entry into the US of Jews, and didnt care they were being exterminated. We refused black rights. We were barbaric! Ethnic discrimination is frowned upon today due to learning from our past and the consequences of ignoring its
existence.
What Trump has to do with it, is a systemic acceptance of racism that he feeds on. Maybe he personally never overtly "hurt" anyone from a direct racist action, but his retoric is a product of a long standing product of unresolved racial issues. He feeds on peoples negativity, and ignorance, and lack of compassion.
I understand you are against him too, but getting down to the brass tacks of HOW racism begins, and WHERE it comes from, and WHY we feel the way we feel, WHEN did it begin, and WHAT caused it, we will always be a barbaric
people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:25 pm
@Lilkanyon,
When I was in the USAF stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico in the late fifties, I was invited by a sergeant to have dinner at his home. His wife kept calling me "little jap boy" even after her husband told her to stop. When she didn't, he struck her.
I really felt uncomfortable after that.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2016 05:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When I was in the USAF stationed at Walker AFB in New Mexico in the late fifties, I was invited by a sergeant to have dinner at his home. His wife kept calling me "little jap boy" even after her husband told her to stop. When she didn't, he struck her.
I really felt uncomfortable after that.

I would slap her too. That is ridiculous. Thank goodness I never a knew a persoan like that. Not so overtly racist anyway. That has to leave alot of anger.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 03:28 am
What happened to C.I is absolutely wrong and that is not the way to behave.
What has been done in USA with Jews and Afro Americans and others discrimination is against all human rights. But you have done your best to get out if and have come a long way.
Just compare yourself with South Africa.
To call USA or Europe babaric to day is in my eyes not correect. What we do or have done and call it babaric makes the real babaric happenings sound much more innocent.
What ISIS is doing now is babaric. In Sudan instead of salary the soldiers are supposed to rape women and kill the old and children and then burn them dead or alive.
Who helped Europe after the war to a great extend USA. Care packets, Marchall help, Berlin Air lift was done by Americans and British. Thanks to them the people did not starve to death.
It does not help to see only the bad in an individual, people or nations.
When they change to the better and see they did something wrong we have to learn to try to forgive and not all the time remain people of what they have done. But we can take it and try to see to it does not happen again.
saab

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 03:38 am
@saab,
What about Arabic countries where people get stoned to death for small things
That is babaric.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
I've talked about one of my aunts here before, the one that hated japs. I don't remember my mother, much less my father, ever agreeing with her. I don't remember her going on rants, just that the hate showed up once in a while in a short sentence or two. We went back to california and stayed with her when she was having a serious operation, and again when my father directed some commercials in the hollywood area in the early fifties. In the mid fifties, we moved back to CA, and stayed with her until we bought a house.

Not long after that, when I went to university, our school, by the nature of it, let me meet a variety of people, to my benefit. My aunt grew to be disturbed by me and my choices of pals. I thought she was a wild eyed bigot, but she had company at the time, people who had lived right near the california coast and highly feared invasion. That house was mere blocks from the Sawtelle area, which I've talked about before here and you know about, of course. People taken away to camps..

My other aunt, my closest cousins' mother, the one who worked at Disney, the one whom I call my hundred year old aunt, was not like that at all. She was fairly well educated for her time, always then and later a well read woman, teaching in a school house in Washington state when she was nineteen, which would have been in 1919. The bigoted aunt did finish high school around 1920, but didn't seem to read much in our times staying with her. I'm not defending her ways, but I can understand fear and blame can be close forces.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 03:12 pm

Robert Reich
5 mins ·
I have a particular relationship to bullies. When I was a kid – and a very short one at that – older boys used to threaten me, and sometimes beat me up. Occasionally I was protected from the bullies by kinder older boys, like Mickey (Michael) Schwerner – who in the summer of 1964 was trying to register voters in Mississippi when he and two other civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman and James Earl Chaney, were abducted, tortured, murdered, and buried in an earthen dam by members of the local White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, the Neshoba County Sheriff's Office, and the Philadelphia, Mississippi Police Department.
When I heard that the young man who years before had protected me from my bullies had himself been killed by truly monstrous bullies, my life forever changed.
Donald Trump is a bully who’s stirring up other bullies to rage against Latinos, blacks, Muslims, and other convenient scapegoats – channeling the fears and resentments of the white working class into hatefulness and violence. He deserves to be condemned by every decent American.
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow! Thanks, edgarblythe. That's a very powerful statement. It means a lot to me. I was curious as to where you came across Reich's statement. Could you provide a link? I'd certainly appreciate it. Again, thanks!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why more in politics do not speak up is discouraging. They don't seem to have any principles by their silence.
0 Replies

Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Robert Reich
5 mins ·
I have a particular relationship to bullies. When I was a kid – and a very short one at that – older boys used to threaten me, and sometimes beat me up. Occasionally I was protected from the bullies by kinder older boys, like Mickey (Michael) Schwerner – who in the summer of 1964 was trying to register voters in Mississippi when he and two other civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman and James Earl Chaney, were abducted, tortured, murdered, and buried in an earthen dam by members of the local White Knights of th
e Ku Klux Klan, the Neshoba County Sheriff's Office, and the Philadelphia, Mississippi Police Department.
When I heard that the young man who years before had protected me from my bullies had himself been killed by truly monstrous bullies, my life forever changed.
Donald Trump is a bully who’s stirring up other bullies to rage against Latinos, blacks, Muslims, and other convenient scapegoats – channeling the fears and resentments of the white working class into hatefulness and violence. He deserves to be condemned by every decent American.

And yet people think barbarism no longer exists in the US today. It mystifies me how beating people that protest peacefully or threatening to kill the families of terrorists is not barbaric.
Has anyone watched The Patriot or Braveheart? I am not comparing Isis or Al Queada to those people at all, do not misunderstand me...but going after their women and children because you disagree with their men's calling is foolish, and Trump has called for that!
Do you think he has any care in the world for anyone except rich white America, if he can make a call like that on a national stage?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 06:32 pm
@saab,
You are correct; times have changed for the good in many ways, and improvements can be measured. However, blacks still get the wrong/short end of the stick by just being black. It proves that some whites fear the simple fact that they're becoming the minority. Not many, but they are around.
Lilkanyon

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 07:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You are correct; times have changed for the good in many ways, and improvements can be measured. However, blacks still get the wrong/short end of the stick by just being black. It proves that some whites fear the simple fact that they're becoming the minority. Not many, but they are around.

If our country went totally brown, I mean interracial children ect, that would not brake my heart. This obsession with racial purity is disgusting to me. Its really about fear, for all the white ppl and their hawkish talk, its really about fear. White ppl protect the 2nd amendment out of racism. If they think every black person thinks they have a gun at home, they feel safe. They allow the myth of the KKK knocking at a black mans back door if they get out of line. Noone can tell me Im wrong because Ive experienced it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 07:27 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Wow! Thanks, edgarblythe. That's a very powerful statement. It means a lot to me. I was curious as to where you came across Reich's statement. Could you provide a link? I'd certainly appreciate it. Again, thanks!

Reich posts daily on Facebook, if you follow him. Here is one link to Reich on bullies.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/robert-reich-trump-is-a-bully-who-deserves-to-be-condemned/article/2585710
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks! Smile
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 01:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Europe has to a great extent been very homegene - especially north of the Alps.
Now some people have fears - not that the white are going to be a minority but that the Muslims are going to take over too much.Like in Denmark when cetain imams want sharia laws to be part of the Danish law. When in about 8 of 150 mosques imams teach women how to beat their children.