cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 11:12 am
@revelette2,
Totally agree.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 01:15 pm
@DrewDad,
Who do you think makes up the Republican party? Just a bunch of old white guys sitting around lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills?

Your list is a bunch of propaganda fed to you by daily by the media and liberal websites like this one. If you only came here for news you'd think Sanders was the second coming of Christ himself and that the Republicans were basically Morlocks eating the spawn of the poor.

Nothing on your list is even remotely true so far as the party goes. If you only listen to the nutters, of which both parties have in abundance, then all you will have is a hand full of nonsense.

Also, your infographic is from the "West Wing" and no place in real life. Liberals.... pft. Half that list was done by "liberal" Republicans.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 02:52 pm
@McGentrix,
Face it. The Republican party is an unholy alliance of successful capitalists interested in maximizing their profits at the expense of workers, religious fanatics interested in persecuting women, and racists terrified of anybody with brown skin.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 04:29 pm
@DrewDad,
Your opinion is noted, but carries less weight now.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:27 pm
@McGentrix,
It's funny how DrewDad continues to get thumb's up, and you have a negative 1.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:50 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Senate Republicans have...

At this point President Obama is rounding up all Republicans in the House and Senate. They will be executed by a single bullet to the head and dumped in a mass grave.

Disgusting and disgraceful to say the least. Especially from you, who yammers on about a Jewish ancestry.

Quote:
And finally the nation can move forward.

Move forward as what? A one party system is not moving forward.

While it is true the Republicans are being vindictive in their approach, that does not call murder. It calls for better voter turnout during Congressional and Senate elections. Better, as in smarter voters and more voters.

Your idiotic statement promoting murder makes you no better than Donald Trump.

If you want to make a difference, talk sensibly to people and get to your polling place on election day.

▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪now do as your usual and get your little buddies to help thumb me down into oblivion, since seeing the truth hurts you so much▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:55 pm
@Sturgis,
That was obviously hyperbole, but it does show anger, fed-up-ness, which a lot of us on various sides (more than two sides going on) feel, at least some of the time..
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 02:22 pm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/the-fight-to-fill-antonin-scalias-seat-on-the-us-supreme-court/article28898659/

some interesting stuff but I was mostly interested in the base deets on the current judges

Quote:
The judges

Sonia Sotomayor, 61
Nominated by Barack Obama in 2009
Yale, Catholic
Replaced David Souter (George H.W. Bush nominee)

Stephen Breyer, 77
Nominated by Bill Clinton in 1994
Harvard, Jewish

Clarence Thomas, 67
Nominated by George H.W. Bush in 1991
Yale, Catholic

John Roberts, 61
Chief Justice
Nominated by George W. Bush in 2005
Harvard, Catholic
Replaced William Rehnquist (Ronald Reagan nominee)

Anthony Kennedy, 79
Nominated by Ronald Reagan in 1988
Harvard, Catholic

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 82
Nominated by Bill Clinton in 1993
Harvard and Columbia, Jewish

Samuel Alito, 65
Nominated by George W. Bush in 2006
Yale, Catholic
Replaced Sandra Day O’Connor (Ronald Reagan nominee)

Elena Kagan, 55
Nominated by Barack Obama in 2010
Harvard, Jewish
Replaced John Paul Stevens (Gerald Ford nominee)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Says the King of thumb downs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:24 pm
@ehBeth,
It looks like the Jewish-Catholic club.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 03:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It looks like the Jewish-Catholic club.

What could be the reason? Are these religious traditions more legalistic than others, perhaps?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 03:44 am
What I find funny in this constitutional loophole is that it can theoretically go on forever. If Hillary or Bernie gets elected as the next president, the republicans can block any of their SC nominations, right? They can if they want to. So the SC could progressively disappear over the coming years, as the justices die one after the other without being replaced.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 04:55 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The idea that we only dream up positions to be contrary is ludicrous.

The idea that so many Republicans don't do that is ludicrous. The Republicans have a well-earned reputation as "the party of 'no.'"

So, just to tie this down, you are suggesting that our stated beliefs are not what we actually believe and that as soon as Obama advocates something we say we believe, we will reverse ourselves and oppose it? For example, you are asserting that if Obama started opposing abortion, we would start favoring it? If Obama started favoring deportation of all illegal immigrants, we would start favoring amnesty? This is what you claim? Yes or no.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 04:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Popularity on A2K is the measure of virtue?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 04:58 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
That was obviously hyperbole, but it does show anger, fed-up-ness, which a lot of us on various sides (more than two sides going on) feel, at least some of the time..

Advocating the murder of people who disagree politically is not excusable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 08:23 am
@Brandon9000,
I'm not looking at what Republicans say, I'm looking at how Republicans behave.

They have nothing new to propose, they only oppose anything that the Dems try to accomplish.

About the only thing Repubs are actually for is increasing the number of guns that people can carry around.

Otherwise, they obstruct and delay, up to and including shutting down the government if they don't get what they want.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2016 09:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
It is certainly a group that would benefit from some more diversity.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:22 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I'm not looking at what Republicans say, I'm looking at how Republicans behave.

They have nothing new to propose, they only oppose anything that the Dems try to accomplish....

As opposed to the Democrats, who do not oppose what the Republicans want. Yes, we have many things that we advocate the same as you. Stopping ISIS before they succeed in really hurting us, for example. I heard Ted Cruz propose that NASA undertake more deep space missions. That's certainly something I have advocated all of my life. I want to eliminate poverty and not just keep talking about it. The idea that we favor nothing is just the easy way out for you. The actual truth is that you oppose what we want the same way that we oppose what you want.

It's sad that you can't just say that you disagree and have to keep pretending that we oppose you just to be contrary or that we have no ideas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:50 am
Ah . . . you crack me up. Will you please tell us upon what occasion the majority leader of a Democrat-controlled Senate stated publicly that the Senate would not even hold a hearing on any nominee of the President? Then have the courtesy, if you will, of providing us a source for that? I am not buying your BS unless and until you do that.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 03:18 am
By the way, as Brandon probably has me on ignore as a result of his petulance, i will point out a few things here. Mr. Obama attempted to filibuster a Bush appointment, but the attempt failed because the Senate, then controlled by the Democrats, voted for cloture. Twenty Democratic senators voted for that motion. That shut down Mr. Obama's attempt at a filibuster. Mr. Biden once stated that a Democrat-controlled Senate should not consider hearing a {a[[u Bush nominee, if tehre should be a resignation from the Court. There was no vacancy to be filled at the time of Mr. Biden's remarks. But Biden was not the Senate majority leader, nor was Mr. Obama at the time of his attempted (and failed) filibuster.

More than that, talking about what the Democrats have done or would do is a logical fallacy. The Tu quoque fallacy holds that a moral position is wrong if the person expounding it is being a hypocrite. This is a form of the argumentum ad hominem fallacy in that it holds that a proposition is false because the person offering the proposition is a hypocrite. Even if Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden are hypocrites, the validity of their position rests on its own merits, and not whether or not they are hypocrites. It is a moderately clever tactic on the part of Republicans, because it puts their adversaries on the defensive. Democrats should combat this by using a spokesman who merely has not advocated such a tactic in the past. I have too little faith in the majority of the American electorate being able to absorb the logical fallacy being employed here.