@ehBeth,
Glad to see that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 10:18 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Quote:
How else can you explain George W. Bush?

Money talks. Big money screams. Kind of how he missed Vietnam.

You've made this "point" on numerous other occasions.

Forgive me for not knowing this, but did you serve in Vietnam?

If you did I honor your willingness to do your duty. Whether or not you carried out that duty with honor is something only you, the Vietnamese, your fellow soldiers, and God can say.

I hasten to add that I am not suggesting, at all, that if you served, you didn't serve with honor. The odds would be pretty good that you did, and for the purposes of this thread, I am more than willing to assume you did.

If you did serve, and particularly if you served in combat, I understand perfectly your derision for the wealthy, connected GWB's avoidance of the draft by virtue of a position in the National Guard. Although the NG is now called upon to send it's men and women to battle fields around the world, that wasn't the case back then.

Still, service in the Guard was, at least, a step better than dodging the draft and service entirely.

Case in point: Bill Clinton.

I may not know if you are a Viet Vet, but I do know you are a supporter of Clinton.

How come his dodge doesn't frost your ass the way W's does?
revelette2

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:00 am
Unlike George W. Bush who bought his way out of Vietnam. Bill Clinton was planning to go to and was in fact on his way to college in England when he was drafted. He then returned to Arkansas and enrolled in ROTC program but instead of attending that, he returned to Oxford University. He apparently felt guilty and resubmitted his name to the draft board but his lottery number was so high he never had to go. It is all there on google, you can look it up.

Bill Clinton college education
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:08 am
@revelette2,
OMG - You're even prepared to excuse Clinton's draft dodging.

You truly are an innocent - God bless you, but it's a shame you can vote.
revelette2

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You're even prepared to excuse Clinton's draft dodging

However you want to phrase it, it is verifiable for anyone wanting to verify it. BTW, I never said he wasn't a draft dodger, he just didn't buy his way out of it like George W. Bush did. He was smart enough to earn a scholarship at Oxford University to get out of going to Nam. More power to him, it was a terrible war.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:20 pm
@revelette2,
He used political connections to dodge the draft and any service. If he had money it would have been spent.

More power to him?

Then I guess you are prepared to say the same for W.
revelette2

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Then I guess you are prepared to say the same for W

Yes, I am.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 04:45 pm
@revelette2,
Fair enough.

Thank you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 05:18 pm
There's a teensy difference between George Bush's failure to serve and those others.

George W. Bush was serving in the United States Military. He raised his right hand and swore a vow" to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same". While serving in the Texas Air National Guard from May 1968 to May 1974, he went AWOL (absent without leave). His own pay records show that he did not attend any drills between mid-April and the end of October 1972. He was a pilot who just didn't show up for the duty he had sworn to perform
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 05:32 pm
The Failed Legacy of George W Bush:
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/mashek/2008/07/14/the-failed-legacy-of-george-w-bush
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 08:21 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
While serving in the Texas Air National Guard from May 1968 to May 1974, he went AWOL (absent without leave). His own pay records show that he did not attend any drills between mid-April and the end of October 1972.

Says who?
RABEL222

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 10:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Forgive me for not knowing this, but did you serve in Vietnam?

No, I dident serve in the Vietnam war. But neither did my dad buy my way out of the military. I had 3 kids and the military dident want me. I'm not going to be an asshole and ask you the same question because its none of my business. Any other personal questions in an attempt to silence me?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:02 pm
@oralloy,
Says the Texas national guard.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 04:51 am
This just in, Justice Scalia still dead.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2016 08:58 am
U.S. Supreme Court rejects two new abortion cases
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:18 am
This article is a little dated with so much more happening, I guess, we have forgotten about the cases which came up during this period with only eight justices. For the most part, most of them came down favorably for liberals since Scalia's death but the immigration case, didn't turn out so well.

Supreme Court Tie Blocks Obama Immigration Plan

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court announced on Thursday that it had deadlocked in a case challenging President Obama’s immigration plan, effectively ending what Mr. Obama had hoped would become one of his central legacies. The program would have shielded as many as five million undocumented immigrants from deportation and allowed them to legally work in the United States.

The 4-4 tie, which left in place an appeals court ruling blocking the plan, amplified the contentious election-year debate over the nation’s immigration policy and presidential power.

When the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case in January, it seemed poised to issue a major ruling on presidential power. That did not materialize, but the court’s action, which established no precedent and included no reasoning, was nonetheless perhaps its most important statement this term.

The decision was just nine words long: “The judgment is affirmed by an equally divided court.”

But its consequences will be vast, said Walter Dellinger, who was acting solicitor general in the Clinton administration. “Seldom have the hopes of so many been crushed by so few words,” he said.

It is a shame, for immigrants and for the US economy, unlike what the right wing rhetoric says, most immigrants come here to work. The decision is also a reminder of why saying stuff like "it is time to end choosing the lesser of two evils" is so trite and forgive me, stupid. It is more important now than even eight years ago to choose a liberal democrat so she will chose a liberal judge, who will judge more favorably on liberal causes such as immigration and women's rights and workers and voting rights. Also in light of recent events there might some cases relating to blacks and justice system coming up over the next eight years.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:13 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
It is a shame, for immigrants and for the US economy, unlike what the right wing rhetoric says, most immigrants come here to work. The decision is also a reminder of why saying stuff like "it is time to end choosing the lesser of two evils" is so trite and forgive me, stupid. It is more important now than even eight years ago to choose a liberal democrat so she will chose a liberal judge, who will judge more favorably on liberal causes such as immigration and women's rights and workers and voting rights. Also in light of recent events there might some cases relating to blacks and justice system coming up over the next eight years.

Liberal justices hate the Constitution and vote to allow our Constitutional rights to be violated.

Conservative justices love the Constitution and vote to enforce our Constitutional rights.

A vote for Trump is a vote for continued American freedom.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:17 am
@oralloy,
blah blah blah, Assertions from the NRA. Remember folks, if you want to be forced to think like oralloy here, youre gonna love the dismanteling of the Supreme Court by the GOP.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 02:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
blah blah blah, Assertions from the NRA.

Come now. Pretending that Liberals don't hate the Constitution is just silly. You yourself have posted your hopes that one day future generations would see our freedom overthrown.

farmerman wrote:
Remember folks, if you want to be forced to think like oralloy here,

No one is being forced to share my love of facts and freedom. But people are certainly welcome to do so if they wish.

farmerman wrote:
youre gonna love the dismanteling of the Supreme Court by the GOP.

Appointing justices who will uphold our Constitutional rights is hardly dismantling the court.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 08:02 pm
It is noteworthy, in the Bush bruhaha, that Bush did not complete his National Guard obligation, as determined by Lawrence Korb, and Assistant Secretary of Defense under Reagan, in a 2004 review of Bush's military records. You had to have political pull to get in the Guard during the war, and a political crony of his father got him in, later saying that neither he nor his father knew he had done so (Rolling Eyes). He used political pull to get transferred, and he left the Guard before he had completed his commitment. This came out in 2004, while the Swifties were all over Kerry. Sauce for the goose makes sauce for the gander.

Bush service controversy at Wikipedia, which includes citations