The Supreme Court vacancy, a minefield for Republicans

jcboy

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:21 am
@Sturgis,
Queen please!

I only called you a gay republican because I knew you had no sense of humor and it would bring out the true bitter bitchy queen in you.

It worked. Zing!
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 09:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Ah . . . you crack me up. Will you please tell us upon what occasion the majority leader of a Democrat-controlled Senate stated publicly that the Senate would not even hold a hearing on any nominee of the President?...

Are you trying to disprove my assertion that Democrats regularly oppose what Republicans advocate on the grounds that they have not opposed it in this particular way or to this degree?

As you alluded to, during a speech he delivered on the Senate floor on June 25, 1992, then Sen. Joe Biden urged his Democratic colleagues to block until after the presidential election any potential Supreme Court nominations President George H.W. Bush might name. I'm not arguing that he was wrong then or that the Republicans advocating something similar are right now, only giving an example of prominent Democrats strongly opposing Republican actions.

Democrats have certainly opposed Republican positions by staging their share of filibusters. Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis (D) filibustered for 11 hours in 2013, helping kill a bill that would have implemented some abortion restrictions.

Everyone knows that both sides actively oppose the other regularly, which was my claim.

By the way, claiming that I probably have you on ignore in order to ridicule me for it is a straw man argument, and calling me petulant is an ad hominem argument since it is directed against a person rather than the position he advocates.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:06 am
@Setanta,
bears repeating

Setanta wrote:

By the way, as Brandon probably has me on ignore as a result of his petulance, i will point out a few things here. Mr. Obama attempted to filibuster a Bush appointment, but the attempt failed because the Senate, then controlled by the Democrats, voted for cloture. Twenty Democratic senators voted for that motion. That shut down Mr. Obama's attempt at a filibuster. Mr. Biden once stated that a Democrat-controlled Senate should not consider hearing a {a[[u Bush nominee, if tehre should be a resignation from the Court. There was no vacancy to be filled at the time of Mr. Biden's remarks. But Biden was not the Senate majority leader, nor was Mr. Obama at the time of his attempted (and failed) filibuster.

More than that, talking about what the Democrats have done or would do is a logical fallacy. The Tu quoque fallacy holds that a moral position is wrong if the person expounding it is being a hypocrite. This is a form of the argumentum ad hominem fallacy in that it holds that a proposition is false because the person offering the proposition is a hypocrite. Even if Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden are hypocrites, the validity of their position rests on its own merits, and not whether or not they are hypocrites. It is a moderately clever tactic on the part of Republicans, because it puts their adversaries on the defensive. Democrats should combat this by using a spokesman who merely has not advocated such a tactic in the past. I have too little faith in the majority of the American electorate being able to absorb the logical fallacy being employed here.

all of it

(and we know I don't say that very often)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:51 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

As you alluded to, during a speech he delivered on the Senate floor on June 25, 1992, then Sen. Joe Biden urged his Democratic colleagues to block until after the presidential election any potential Supreme Court nominations President George H.W. Bush might name.

There was no opening on the Supreme Court at the time of Biden's speech. There is no comparison to be made other than apples to oranges.
Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:18 pm
Of course, as i believe i've already pointed out, neither Mr. Obama nor Mr. Biden were Senate Majority Leader. Then, of course, there's that messy little tu quoque fallacy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
You're kind of slow Brandon--an argumentum ad hominem is a case of making a personal attack rather than arguing the position. I argued the position very clearly. Your argument, basically, was "well you guys do it too!" That is a tu quoque fallacy. Saying that you are petulant is just an added perquisite of the debate.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 01:48 pm
@Setanta,
I see that DOW Chemical, after the "recent happenings in the makeup of the USSC" has decided to settle its appeal in the amount of , lets say, severql BILLION dollars (regarding price fixing). With the court now evenly divided and the person , upon whose two opinions formed the nuclei of their appeal --, dead,-- DOW is cashing in its chips and cutting its losses so as not to suffer even greater losses as a result of a USSC affirmation of the lower court decision.

McConnell , I think, is gonna be eating huge slices of humble pie because of his attempts at incorrectly defining and rewriting the US Constitution . A smarter thing woulda been to hear the nomination as it states in the Constitution and vote up or down.

I think he will piss off not only the cosntituencies, but the USSC justices (except for Judge Clarence whose entire court history has been to consistently cast his votes without any careful analyses of the issues
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 02:01 pm
They've been consistently handing the party over to the teabaggers, which in fact results in it falling into the hands of corporate America, who manipulate public opinion--à les Koch Brothers. Look for Joe's interetsing thread on the proposed repeal of the XVIIth amendment.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2016 06:26 pm
That Democrats have their sins to atone for in terms of SC nominations doesn't necessarily make the GOP's ploy "right" from the standpoint of what's good for the government and the nation, but it does make their indignation, and righteous rhetoric laughable.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

As you alluded to, during a speech he delivered on the Senate floor on June 25, 1992, then Sen. Joe Biden urged his Democratic colleagues to block until after the presidential election any potential Supreme Court nominations President George H.W. Bush might name.

There was no opening on the Supreme Court at the time of Biden's speech. There is no comparison to be made other than apples to oranges.

There is a comparison and I made it. I was supporting my assertion that Democrats regularly oppose Republican efforts.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're kind of slow Brandon--an argumentum ad hominem is a case of making a personal attack rather than arguing the position. I argued the position very clearly. Your argument, basically, was "well you guys do it too!" That is a tu quoque fallacy. Saying that you are petulant is just an added perquisite of the debate.

1) You were using the adjective about me to make your argument seem stronger, which makes it an ad hominem attack. By the way, your persistent habit of insulting people who are not insulting you, or anyone else, is not, in my opinion, mentally normal. Calling me "slow" would be another example. And, no, I'm not asserting that it invalidates any of your opinions.
2) I have not made a tu quoque argument, because I was never asserting that someone's position was right or wrong based on a failure to act consistently with his statements. I was asserting only that Democrats regularly oppose Republican efforts by giving examples of them doing it.
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 02:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
No, i wasn't. That you cherish a paranoid delusion that everyone who doesn't agree with you is obsessed with insulting you is not in fact evidence that that is true. The argument--that you were employing a [tu quoque[/i] fallacy, does not need to be strengthened--it is self-evident.
parados

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 02:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

There is a comparison and I made it. I was supporting my assertion that Democrats regularly oppose Republican efforts.

An interesting argument since there was no Republican effort since there was no open Supreme Court seat. Are you arguing the Democrats regularly oppose Republican NON efforts?
Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 02:25 pm
@Setanta,
I took the time to go back to check. This is what you posted to which i objected and responded.

Brandon9000 wrote:
The actual truth is that you oppose what we want the same way that we oppose what you want.

I asked you to provide a case in which the Democratic Majority Leader had publicly stated that the Senate would not even give a nominee a hearing. You have not done that. Hence, you were peddling a tu quoque fallacy.

Of course, if you can come up with that example, i'll gladly withdraw my criticism. As for the remark about you having me on ignore, that was made because time and time again i have remarked on what you have posted, and you have not responded. Small wonder that i came to believe you have me on ignore. It seems to me that you look for excuses to whine about how people speak to you. Here's a new word for you--you're umbrageous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 02:29 pm
@Setanta,
Here, i'll repeat (with added emphasis) what i said in response to your post, so that you don't have to search for it. It will also obviate any attempt on your part to falsely characterize what i wrote.

Setanta wrote:
Ah . . . you crack me up. Will you please tell us upon what occasion the majority leader of a Democrat-controlled Senate stated publicly that the Senate would not even hold a hearing on any nominee of the President? Then have the courtesy, if you will, of providing us a source for that? I am not buying your BS unless and until you do that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 03:45 pm
These silly argument made by the left involve differences without distinction.

"No Democrat ever did what McConnell did! We win!"
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 03:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
one of the distinctions was that McConnell announced (roughly within a few hours after being notified of Scalias passing) that there would be no consideration given for any nomination made by the sitting president.

I think that is a precedent setting communication.

McConnell has usurped the words and spirit of the Constitution. I can certainly understand why. He fears a potential sea change in the highest court which could block the Koch's attempts at "stacking the opinions in their favor".
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 04:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I think that is a precedent setting communication.

Only if you're oh-so virtuous Democrats can't resist to respond in kind.

you wrote:
He fears a potential sea change in the highest court which could block the Koch's attempts at "stacking the opinions in their favor".

Of course he does and so do I and millions of other conservatives. Do you really think that is problematic because instead of disagreeing with you we are all evil?

As for this Koch bogeyman crap, you and blatham are either a paranoid pair or a couple of clowns crying "The Koch Brothers are coming..."
engineer

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 04:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Dow Chemical just settled a suit saying Scalia's death made it unlikely they could win on appeal, so it is having an effect.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dow-chemical-settles-lawsuit-citing-supreme-court-position-after-scalias-death-1456491317
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2016 05:31 pm
@engineer,
So?