The Supreme Court vacancy, a minefield for Republicans

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 08:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Yes plain old ordinary inappropriate citizens like me acted gleeful...but then again, we're not politicians and presidential candidates who are supposed to be concerned about the country no matter our personal beliefs like the ass clowns representing the teabilly/gop party

Reacting with glee to a political opponent's death is not a good quality in anyone.

But anecdotal evidence suggests you would do so were it a "libtard"
revelette2

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:06 am
I am not reacting with glee, but neither will I be hypercritical and pretend that I admired Scalia or that I am not hoping like mad he will be replaced with a liberal. There are several other old supreme court justices tottering on the brink. Which is why elections, all of them are so important and I hope Bernie supporters take note if Bernie does not get elected just what they would be voting for if they vote for a republican or sit it out instead.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:10 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
It doesn't shoot anything out of the water. The Democrats would certainly do the same under reversed conditions

And you know this how?
The Democrats have not done this. They have never threatened to do this. History shows they did vote on a Supreme Court candidate in the last year of Reagan's term.

I see you trying to create a false equivalency to defend the indefensible. I would be upset of the Democrats tried to do this. It violates the basic principles of our government.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:13 am
@Brandon9000,
But now you are arguing something completely different. Opposing a candidate because they are unqualified is NOT what the GOP proposed here. They have decided to oppose ALL candidates even those that would be extremely qualified.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Certainly no more than the Democrats did. Both sides have commented on the obvious. I have even seen liberals react with undisguised glee in a way that anyone would agree is in poor taste.

Random people on the internet are a far cry from elected officials charged with official duty. Did people act badly on the left? Sure. But they are not the people making the decisions. I am not going to complain about ramdom people on the internet on the right making this a political football. Our elected officials are supposed to put country first. Making the process impossible before it has a chance to work is not putting country first.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:53 am
@revelette2,
I hope Clinton supporters will do likewise.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 09:58 am
The conservatives will be in the mood for payback on Bork.

Although I don't think that SOB was worthy of the Supream Court anyway.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:53 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
The Democrats would certainly do the same under reversed conditions.

I don't believe this is true.

The idea of rejecting a sitting President's role in selecting the next Justice is so ridiculous, and such a bald political move, that I would reject it... and I believe that most Democrats would do the same.

What the Republicans are announcing to the world that they plan to do, to subvert the Constitution, is so clearly wrong... that they will pay it politically.

Oh really?

We should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances. They must prove by actions not words that they are in the mainstream rather than we have to prove that they are not . . .
This is just a prologue considering the constitutional harm and dramatic departures that are in store if those few are joined by one more ideological ally. We have to, in my judgment, stick by the precepts that I’ve elaborated. I will do everything in my power to prevent one more ideological ally from joining Roberts and Alito on the court.

Chucky Schumer - June 2007
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:01 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

And you know this how?
The Democrats have not done this. They have never threatened to do this. History shows they did vote on a Supreme Court candidate in the last year of Reagan's term.

I see you trying to create a false equivalency to defend the indefensible. I would be upset of the Democrats tried to do this. It violates the basic principles of our government.

But they did, in fact make this threat, during the Bush Administration and your lame excuse on another thread was that the threat was never realized because there was no additional vacancy. Someone, like you, so in tune with what the Democrats have to say, surely knew Schumer made the threat. You may have forgotten it since then but I would bet my car, my house and my favorite dog that you were not upset when it was made.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No. They didn't make a threat. You need to read the contemporaneous news reports from that time. Not the bastardized version of Conservatives trying to justify their own actions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:37 pm
@parados,
You're slick. I'll give you that, but you can be the best your party has on staff because you've only been assigned to this piddly forum.
revelette2

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 01:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Speaking for myself, of course I will vote for Bernie Sanders should he be the democrat choice.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:16 pm
@revelette2,
I don't think that's really at issue. The bigger question is will Sanders supporters vote for Clinton? If they think their man got cheated out of the nomination, there's a good chance many will not.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've no idea how many, but there are a number here on a2k. As I've said many times, I'll vote for her if she is the nominee. Hah, I just made a typo, nominess, nuts!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Did you bother to look up any of the stories from 2007? I'll bet not. Why inform yourself with actual facts when you can scare us with BS?

http://www.politico.com/story/2007/07/schumer-to-fight-new-bush-high-court-picks-005146
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I think you pretty much nailed it. I think a Clinton presidency would be similar to Obama's second term and not much would change.

My biggest concerns is that she is more hawkish than Obama and would have employed the military even more readily than he. I do not know if any opportunities for this militarism will come up but that is what I'm most concerned about with her. That she will more readily get us into foreign misadventure.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 08:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh really?

We should not confirm any Bush nominee to the Supreme Court except in extraordinary circumstances. They must prove by actions not words that they are in the mainstream rather than we have to prove that they are not . . .
This is just a prologue considering the constitutional harm and dramatic departures that are in store if those few are joined by one more ideological ally. We have to, in my judgment, stick by the precepts that I’ve elaborated. I will do everything in my power to prevent one more ideological ally from joining Roberts and Alito on the court.

Chucky Schumer - June 2007

Let's suppose, for the moment, that Schumer was indeed saying that the Democrats should have blocked any supreme court nomination by Bush Jr., just as McConnell said Republicans should block any nomination by Obama in the wake of Scalia's death. Can you think of one important difference between those two statements? I'll give you a hint: one of those men was not the majority leader of the senate when he made those remarks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 08:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
agree re her and the military, not to mention that there would likely never be any cuts, only probable added monies.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dont think you have noticed that most people who want Hillary havent said either you put her on the ballot or we vote republican or set out the election like some of the Bernie people.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2016 04:26 am
@blueveinedthrobber,

Brandon9000 wrote:

Yes plain old ordinary inappropriate citizens like me acted gleeful...but then again, we're not politicians and presidential candidates who are supposed to be concerned about the country no matter our personal beliefs like the ass clowns representing the teabilly/gop party

Reacting with glee to a political opponent's death is not a good quality in anyone.

But anecdotal evidence suggests you would do so were it a "libtard"

What evidence? Please find an example of me reacting with glee to the death of a political opponent.
0 Replies