RESEARCHING HOWARD DEAN, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:20 pm
DEAN AT CALIFORNIA
Quote:
Sacramento -- Presidential hopeful Howard Dean electrified the state Democratic convention here Saturday when he leveled a verbal barrage against the Bush policies in support of the war in Iraq -- fists raised, roaring, "We want our country back!"

FULL ARTICLE
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:40 pm
Dat's my man! (so far)
0 Replies

Orophin

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 01:47 pm
http://www.deanforamerica.com/dean.cfm?section=about&page=issues

This is a page on Dean's site. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but it's worth posting anyway. For those of you who haven't taken the opportunity to browse deanforamerica.com, look at this page!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:19 pm
You can sign up on Dean's site and get on a list, and then they send you stuff. That's how I found out the candidates were going to be on a forum on C-span. They sent me notice.

I first really came across Dean in a New Republic article about a year and a half ago, and got curious. Then I started reading about him. I have a friend in Vermont who's interested in politics, thinks he's great. On the C-Span forum, he closed by saying "if..........then I am a liberal!" He had a lot of different things to back up his ifs, and he came out very strong on liberal. Wants the word back in the vocabulary with due respect paid to it. I found that declaration to be telling. This is a man who's been in politics longer than most people think, who's actually done some things for his people, and is not afraid to speak his mind. I also find it interesting that his wife is a practising doctor under her own name, and they seem to enjoy a mutual satisfying relationship. In other words, it doesn't seem to be lip service with him. I harbor a suspicion that this is the guy they modeled Bartlett on in West Wing.

So far, he's my top pick, too. I'm also wondering if he may benefit from what the Bush PR people have tried to do - that is, push Bush off as just ordinary folks. Side by side, there's no comparison. Dean is ordinary folks with a difference. he's smart, he's experienced, he's knowledgeable, and he's beginning to pick up support.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:58 pm
I'm glad you folks dropped by....it was getting lonely. MJ, I appreciate your newsy yet non pushy prose.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:34 pm
BM
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:38 pm
bowel movement?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:42 pm
Book Mark Exclamation

I wouldn't sh!t on this parade, this is one of the good ones Smile
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:43 pm
Hey there, Snood! If it was on a medical chart it would be definitely what you say it is. However, I think he meant BOOKMARK! Laughing
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:46 pm
Thanks for asking snood, I too assumed BillW. was defacating hither and yon, glad to have THAT question answered.

Yeah, Dean.......................................

if he is his own person.............................

I MIGHT EVEN VOTE FOR HIM.....

And those of you who know me, (Of course, none of you REALLY do, but that is another thread....) will realize that alone is no lowell george*.

(* small, or rather, little feat)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:02 pm
Yes, maxsdadeo, I do know you (inasmuch as any of us knows the other in this realm), and I'm surprised to hear you like Dean. What gives?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:28 pm
hmmm, is there a fox in the old, alert, this is an alert only - everyone beware!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 10:20 pm
Max, you're always full of surprises, and cordial to boot. But I'm curious too. Why you so favorable to Dean? (And I know it's an if.)

Thanks, ML.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 11:47 pm
Well, it is like this.
Ever since the last election, I have been witness to the most sincere, heart felt and REAL anguish by my brothers and sisters on the left.

While I on the other hand have been agreeing with the administration most (but make no mistake, by no means ALL) of the time.

I think that it is high time that I started to protest the actions of my government, cause to be truthful, I kinda of feel left out.

But seriously, I have always fancied myself as someone who voted for the man (or woman as the case may be) as much as the message.

What I may disagree with Dean on philosophically, I have to give him credit for his conviction and his intelligence.

Thanks for asking, all.

Ok, we can now go back to disagreeing...
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/jedi1.gif
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:46 am
Mmmmmmmmm.....is it possible we are withnessing the birth of a candidate who appeals to a wide representation of Americans?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:11 am
mamajuana, why did you cop the Bush avatar - did Max convince you to abandon you politically standing? Surprised Cool
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 01:24 pm
Which Bush avatar? Have had enough now so I can't remember. But avatar hunting has become my new hobby. Was it the man peeking from behind the curtain? I found a really wicked Bush one, but I'm trying to be adult about this. Just tell me, Bill, I'm willing to go back. I'll even share some of the sites with you.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 01:26 pm
And while I like Max and enjoy his company, I don't think he could convince me to change how I feel. Like Howard Dean said (and I did in an early abuzz thread), I'm a liberal and proud of it.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 01:37 pm
Glad to see all the good stuff you found, Mapleleaf! Thanks!

Dean's the most exciting candidate of the bunch -- way more so than any of the others. And I agree with him and been a supporter since back a ways when he actually wrote personal thank you notes for enthusiastic but very small contributions. The other day I was in touch with one of his staffies and was no less impressed by the response and the degree of savvy and organization. So Dean will have to do something really outrageously awful for me to jump off his bandwagon!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:00 pm
Whew! Just listened to the Brian Lehrer interview and was delighted to hear a politician who doesn't equivocate and doesn't duck for cover!
0 Replies