sounds like ethnocentrism to me.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
-=Exister=- wrote:
You get my point?

sounds like ethnocentrism to me.

If you mean by race then you're wrong cause I am Japanese. I don't know a single person that's lived here for at least 5 years that doesn't agree with me. I may have come across strong but that doesn't make me wrong.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:04 pm
edit
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:09 pm
-=Exister=- wrote:
If you mean by race then you're wrong cause I am Japanese.

No I mean by culture. Where did you spend the first 20 years of your life..ie where did you grow up?
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:10 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
-=Exister=- wrote:
If you mean by race then you're wrong cause I am Japanese.

No I mean by culture. Where did you spend the first 20 years of your life..ie where did you grow up?

That would be Japan.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:10 pm
doglover wrote:
Thanks for the pic Jer. He really looks hot. Rolling Eyes

I'm with squinney on this one. The boyfriend pillow cannot:

Say 'I Love You'...bring me flowers...hold my hand...share a meal with me...kiss...stroke my hair...dance with me...and a million other things.

What is the pillow good for except cuddling and sleeping with? With a real life man you can:

Kiss him...cook him great meals...warm his feet on a cold winter night...hold his hand...celebrate special anniversaries and holidays...feel your heart flutter when he walks through the door at the end of a workday...and a million other things.

Yeah but with another woman can do all that too which begs the question...?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
-=Exister=- wrote:
That would be Japan.

But you make a distinction between Japanese "then" and "you" which. This is a perspective which suggests you regard the japanese as the "other" and it further suggests that you regard yourself as not Japanese. You also make blanket negative generalizations that judge the Japanses from another cultural perspective. A perspective that seems western to me. Your English is also very good and a bit colloquial. That was the basis on which I called your statements ethnocentric. Are you culturally Japanese? That is were you raised by a family that has spent a considerable period of time in some place other than Japan?
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:28 pm
My biological father is American. I went to an international school in Okinawa cause my mother wanted me to learn English. You could say I grew up in 2 different cultures. One being the school and the other Japanese society. I don't consider myself to be either Japanese or American. I'm a Double.

Why is it that although you have never lived in Japan you automatically think my statements are wrong?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:40 pm
I did not say your statements were wrong, I said it seemed you were judging the Japanese by an outsiders set of values. I have not lived in Japan, but I have had sibling who have (military), and I have known many Japanese expat's in the states (mostly scholars and colleagues). Judging from my siblings descriptions and those Japanese that I have known, none of your statements ring true.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:48 pm
Military, scholars and colleagues. Well, one thing these 3 all have in common that limits them from seeing the culture indepth is that they aren't Japanese. If you were to send a Japanese person that spoke hardly any English to America for a career and they stayed maybe 4 years do you think this Japanese person would have an indepth and accurate portrayal of America? This person would only know what he sees on TV and hears from friends who most likely aren't fluent in Japanese. Also, TV in Japan usually hides crimes and negative stuff.

What's funny is that my statements have been proven true for quite some time. If you still don't believe me I'll look up the article yahoo news on teenage prostitution. And Japanese being sly is so common I shouldn't have to prove it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
-=Exister=- wrote:
Military, scholars and colleagues. Well, one thing these 3 all have in common ... is that they aren't Japanese.

The military are siblings. The scholars and colleagues were/are Japanese anthropologists who have been in the states for varying periods of time.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:03 pm
Re: Japan lovers may not want to read this.
I realized after that I misread your comment about the expats. Since you're disagreeing with me because what you've heard is different, let's go over what I've stated.

Quote:
Young girls sell their bodies so they can buy designer bags and clothes.
This is already proven so I won't get into it.

Quote:
Couples get together for short periods of time and then easily lose interest when the relationship requires work.

Japans single and divorce rate is so high that the government is worrying about the birth rate. This single pillow is not the only thing on the market to keep single women satisfied with a single life.

Quote:
Those in their 20's live with their parents and haven't a clue about adult life.
This is also already proven so I won't get into it.

Quote:
The women would all be lesbians if it was more accepted and the guys are all gay but just don't know it.
There is no proof to it and I was just generalizing.

Quote:
The most revolting part of Japans culture is to hide the truth. They'll tell you one thing and mean another. They'll act friendly then stab you in the back. Now I know this happens in other places as well. But not as rampant as here. You've got to have lived in Japan, really in the Japanese society, to understand this.
They hide the truth from the public. Only recently have crimes been made public because of the severity and surprise. It's the custom in Japan to say something polite instead of the truth.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:07 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The military are siblings. The scholars and colleagues were/are Japanese anthropologists who have been in the states for varying periods of time.

To a Japanese person it's customs and culture won't seem strange. Japanese find it strange that foreigners are so blunt and direct. Here it's like everyone knows who's wrong but it won't be said out loud. Let's all pretend to be friends while we can even though we know we're not.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 08:50 pm
That's called a deferential culture
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:13 pm
Exister,

I believe that the average age for a child leaving home for the last time in Canada is about 27 years old, so you needn't be too worried about this:

-=Exister=- wrote:
Those in their 20's live with their parents and haven't a clue about adult life.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 11:34 pm
Jer wrote:
Exister,

I believe that the average age for a child leaving home for the last time in Canada is about 27 years old, so you needn't be too worried about this:

You serious? Rolling Eyes As for Japan, it's not me that's worried about it. It's the government.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:01 am
I've heard about a certain syndrom which appears to be peculiar to Japan, wherein teens and young adults are known to withdraw completely from society, living in their bedrooms and communicating only throught the internet. I don't know much about this but I am curious about it's cause and prevalence.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:42 am
I am serious indeed exister - I'm guessing that most of it has to do with a lack of good-paying jobs and the high price of real estate in our cities. It's not like it was when our parents were young.

The other thing that effects this number is that kids go to university and then go traveling and then end up at home for a year while they sort themselves out. So it's not like they haven't left home, it's just that they have left home 'for the last time' before 27.
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:15 pm
Jer wrote:
I am serious indeed exister - I'm guessing that most of it has to do with a lack of good-paying jobs and the high price of real estate in our cities. It's not like it was when our parents were young.

The other thing that effects this number is that kids go to university and then go traveling and then end up at home for a year while they sort themselves out. So it's not like they haven't left home, it's just that they have left home 'for the last time' before 27.

The situation there is easy to understand and makes perfect sense. Over here alot of them don't go to University and still remain with their parents till 27 or 28. Even if they have a good paying job and could afford to move out they won't. And the parents still care for them as if they're kids. Like doing their laundry, ironing, cooking, etc....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 08:26 pm
Well, one parent in particular is apt to be doing that...

Edit to say that my cousins have had one son live with them off and on in his troubled times, and no, they don't do his laundry.

I lived with my parents after I had left, when I came back to LA after internship in lab work totally sans funds (I made $200. a month, got $162 after taxes, paid $95. for rent, $13.00 to Beneficial Finance for the $200. it took for me to move down to San Diego, and had to buy uniforms and nylons and "nurses' shoes". And then I needed to have some food.)

Hard to live with parents of my parents' generation in one's twenties. And just after I got an apartment, they became more and more ill.

Still, even though I did it too, I think it can be a way not to grow up.
0 Replies