Ladies: Have you ever fallen for a guy who was "just your friend"?

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:50 pm
I asked a girl to hang out as friends--both because I don't want to rush, and because I'm not comfortable with my life situation to be in a relationship, and because I don't know her that well. She seemed excited at the idea and obliged, which is great. I don't know right now if I'd ever be romantically interested, but once I'm "just a friend," am I always "just a friend?"

glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2016 11:59 pm
@mlssufan01,
Well maybe, maybe not. Don't rush, just see how things go. You said she was excited at the idea, so you still have to go slow to reassure her. If you choose a more blunt approach, god help you. If you go down this road you don't meassure up too high on the murder scale.
mlssufan01

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 12:13 am
@glitterbag,
I'm honestly not trying to pursue a relationship with her right now. We hung out and it was weird. I mean, we talked for an hour, but idk, I didn't really feel anything. I still wouldn't mind hanging out with her, but I've heard it said that inevitably one (or both) of us will start to have stronger feelings. I actually thought that since we had a good deal in common I would have infatuation feelings right away, but honestly I didn't. I still think she's a great person, but I'm not currently viewing her as a potential significant other. Honestly I feel like she's way above my league. Smarter, more responsible, more ambitious.
jespah

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 08:13 am
@mlssufan01,
Don't go out with people you don't want to go out with. Go out with those who interest you. Keep your options open, but don't be surprised if you're too late, if you have waited too long.

Please stop overthinking this.
0 Replies

440amf

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:05 am
From what I've seen and experienced, my perspective is that all relationships start out as "just friends". My wife and I have been together since our first date because once we were one on one, we almost immediately realized that there was huge attraction even though we were just friends prior.

How long a relationship stays platonic depends on how strong (or weak) the physical, emotional, and intellectual attraction, aka compatibility is, despite the original intentions.

There is pretty much always some amount of boy/girl dynamic in boy/girl relationships. The so-called "friend zone" is simply the level of relationship that occurs when one or both parties don't feel attraction sufficient to turn the relationship into something more. Typically, it can go either way, but it does seem that the longer it stays platonic, the less likely a romantic relationship that grows from it will be successful in the long term.
0 Replies

440amf

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:31 am
@mlssufan01,
I apologize, you were addressing the ladies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:02 am
@mlssufan01,
mlssufan01 wrote:
but I've heard it said that inevitably one (or both) of us will start to have stronger feelings.

naaah

some people are simply friends forever

my best friend is married to a guy I've known since we were little kids - he and I have always been good friends - there was never anything else

I''ve got a few other guys who have been friends of mine since university days - no romance ever

we like to hang out - joke - go to concerts together occasionally - are supportive of each other - we're friends
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 08:35 pm
@mlssufan01,
mlssufan01 wrote:
I didn't really feel anything.

that's good since you're not trying to pursue a relationship
0 Replies