Am I over reacting?

kialani

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 12:41 pm
I have a friend who I have never met. We are not romantically connected in any way and never have been.

We have been text friends for around ten years and live about 160 miles away from each other.

I have tried to meet up before as friends, but he has never put any effort into it at all. He even cancelled the meet I had arranged after five years of friendship and never rearranging.

We text almost every day, and he said he classes me as one of his best friends. I have always been there for him through weird relationships he gets himself into (so I am not jealous) and other incidents. I had always supported him when he needed me.

He told me today that he has been trying to meet a woman he met online as they have been talking for around six months. I felt like this had hurt my feelings. In all the years we have been friends, he has never put effort into meeting me, but when I tell him how I feel, he starts getting annoyed and saying I have no right to feel hurt about it.

I just want to know if you think I was overreacting, and he is in the right, or his actions should be speaking volumes to me?

roger

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 12:51 pm
@kialani,
I don't think you are overreacting. It's going to be difficult to fill the hole in your life if you drop him, but you might as well get used to it.

I know you didn't ask advice, but that's mine, anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 03:00 pm
@kialani,
Your are internet acquaintances. He isn't interested in meeting you now. If he does get into a good relationship, he will have less online time for you.

I think you are both right in a way. The problem is that you both see your acquaintance/quasi friendship as different things.

Probably best to accept that you over-invested in an acquaintance, and move on.

0 Replies