Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language?

rstrats

Reply Wed 30 May, 2018 04:43 am
Perhaps a further wording of the OP may make it more clear:

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone who falls in that group of believers could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred?
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 05:31 am
Maybe someone new looking in might know of examples.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 05:20 am
Or maybe not.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2018 06:44 am
@rstrats,
I'm just going to have to leave this here.

https://i.imgur.com/IrL0SHw.jpg
rstrats wrote:

Or maybe not.

I'm just going to leave this here.

rstrats wrote:

Setanta,

re: "Nobody gives a sh*t."

I'm afraid I don't see how that comment is responsive to the question in the OP. I wonder if you might elaborate a bit?

rstrats wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you people? If you're just going to mock religious questions, why even have a religion category?

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 03:07 pm
@peacecrusader888,
Which calendar were they using? https://www.quora.com/What-did-the-calendar-look-like-in-the-time-before-Christ
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 03:09 pm
@rstrats,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion_darkness
Quote:
Crucifixion darkness
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

"Christ on the Cross", by Carl Heinrich Bloch (1834–1890), showing the skies darkened
The Crucifixion darkness is an episode in three of the canonical gospels in which the sky becomes dark in daytime during the crucifixion of Jesus.
Christian apologist Tertullian in AD 197 considered this not an eclipse but a portent, which he claimed was recorded in Roman archives. The third-century Christian commentator Origen offered two natural explanations for the darkness: that it might have been the eclipse (presumably of AD 29) described by Phlegon of Tralles, or that it might have been clouds.
Modern scholars have found no contemporary references to the darkness outside the New Testament, but have found mention of it in ancient writings that reference sources lost to us today, such as those of the Greek historian Thallus.[1] Some scholars favour natural explanations such as a khamsin (sand storm). Others note that similar accounts were associated in ancient times and in the Old Testament with the deaths of notable figures, and see the phenomenon as a literary invention that attempts to convey a sense of the power of Jesus in the face of death, or a sign of God's displeasure with the Jewish people.

Another interesting take on calendars. https://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/chinese-year-converter.php
izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 04:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is what Wikipedia says.

Quote:
Jesus never existed as a historical figure and was a mythological creation of early Christians under the influence of psychoactive mushroom extracts such as psilocybin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2018 05:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually, the story of Jesus follows Greek and Egyptian mythology. The virgin birth follows those mythologies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/05/horus_and_jesus_mythological_p.html
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2018 03:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
I was just having a bit of fun.

The concept of the sacrificed god is older than Greek or Egyptian mythologies. The Babylonians did it with Marduk.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 11:36 pm
@rstrats,
An idiom is a figure of speech peculiar to people in one place, an expression that means something other than its literal meaning. "Three days and three nights" was a Roman legal requirement: a person was not legally dead until the body had been in the grave for three days and three nights.

The confusion comes from people assuming that "sabbath" meant the usual Saturday sabbath. It did not: it was the passover, which takes precedence over the regular weekly sabbath.

Jesus died about sundown so he rose about sundown. The empty tomb was discovered Sunday morning, so he rose Saturday about sundown. Count back three days and three nights and you find he was crucified on a Wednesday, and the passover was on a Thursday that year.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2018 02:03 pm
@rstrats,
Quote:
re: "Solar eclipse?"
. The darkness may have been interpreted as one night.
rstrats

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 07:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter,
re: "The darkness may have been interpreted as one night."

That's an issue for a different topic.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 07:42 am
Perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:49 pm

I need to add to post #6,652,472- "and who thinks that a calendar day began at sunset".

0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 12:55 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern,
re: "The empty tomb was discovered Sunday morning, so he rose Saturday about sundown. Count back three days and three nights and you find he was crucified on a Wednesday, and the passover was on a Thursday that year."

That's an issue for a different topic.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 11:57 am
In thinking about it, I realize that it doesn't make any difference to this topic with regard to sunset versus sunrise.
0 Replies

rstrats

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 06:38 am
Perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 07:38 am
@rstrats,
As with all gospels - Matthew, is unsigned - Merely attributed.
Luke and Mark were Not even apostles.
Mathew is just Mark with romano-christian additives.
Read Matt and Mark side by side - You'll see... or Not, depending on how induced your brain is.

I have a great Gen 1,2 and 3 question - When you're done - If you like?
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 12:25 am
@rstrats,
"Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language?"

No. People pretend to know something when they don't, that's all.
0 Replies

HabibUrrehman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2019 01:41 pm
This is the only prophecy given by Jesus himself in Bible (according to bible authors) and it is not fulfilled.
1. First, we need to consider what exactly it means? Was being buried in earth for three days and nights a bigger miracle or was Jesus referring to be alive just like Jonah was alive in the belly of fish even when Jesus was buried. Of course my Christian friend will not consider the last option because that means Jesus was not crucified.
2.Was Jesus buried in the heart of the earth? There was no grave and Jesus was pretty much left in a room. That means he was not buried and this whole drill of three days and three nights is nothing but a hoax.
3. Let's even suppose Jesus meant actually the time factor and let's suppose he was actually buried in the heart of earth, even then the prophecy of time factor is not fulfilled because he was in the tomb for two night and one day.

What does this mean for Christians?
Bible is nothing but unreliable and work of man to make their own prophecies which they could not fulfill when writing the bible. Second Jesus was neither crucified nor resurrected and hence their whole foundation is based on lies.

Good luck on the Day of Judgement