Render Unto Caesar

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2018 09:04 pm
@MMarciano,
I understand how attractive cockatoo's are, they are freaking adorable......but they are LOUD!!!!!! Caesar may not be happy to see a baby bird (and sweet as he is, he might hurt the cockatoo) then everybody will be horrified.......

I know it's tempting......OMG it is so tempting......but please resist.
jcboy

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 05:49 pm
@glitterbag,
I thought the same thing, Caesar would not get along with another parrot that's for sure. He's loud enough on his own, we don't need another one.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 08:54 am
Caesar got me good about a week ago, elbowed me in the eye. I got a scratched cornea, they numbed my eyes, dilated them, put a clear bandaid on my eyeball and gave me drops until Monday morning when they remove the bandaid, hurt like hell.

He was just sitting on my shoulder when he decided to flap his wings! Mad
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 08:57 am
@jcboy,
yikes!

is he overdue for wing clip/attitude adjustment?
jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 09:03 am
@ehBeth,
Yep, he's going in tomorrow after I get home from my eye doctor appt.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 09:16 am
@jcboy,
too bad it wasn't closer to Hallowe'en

you could have really worked the bird and eye patch thing

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/old-pirate-parrot-eye-patch-bandana-holding-scarlet-macaw-d-digitally-rendered-illustration-31104884.jpg

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 07:00 pm
I tell ya. Dese boids is impossible. I hope you fully recover from your eye injury.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 05:27 pm
Today they removed the eye band aide and the doctor said it was healing. Felt good to have that out of my eye,, Razz

And the rainbow colored pigeon went in and had his wings clipped and nails trimmed. He's a totally different bird today ! Cool
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 05:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I wore the patch for one day, had to, the light bothered my eye.

I'll save it for Halloween Laughing
Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 10:38 am
@jcboy,
Arrrgh
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 08:39 pm
Caesar is going through parrot training.

If this doesn’t work we may have to re-home him. The Vet said it could be hormones. He’s reached that age and he wants to mate. We wait another week and then try hormone shots.

We haven’t been able to get anywhere near him for over a month now, he wants to viciously attack! When you try to take to take him out of his cage he tricks you, he puts his foot out like he wants to get on your arm then he pulls back and tries to bite!

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 10:29 pm
@jcboy,
is there a way to caponize him?

Animals that are fixed will settle down if you dont let it go for too long.
jcboy

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
That isn’t an option for parrots. The only thing you can do is hormone shots. The avian vet said he could go through this once a year or every other year and it can last up to two months. Shocked He gets pretty nasty, he has to be kept in a dark room for at least 12 hours a day, only then does he settle down a bit where you can take him out of his cage and let him sit outside on his perch.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 03:30 pm
@jcboy,
Get yourelf a crow, they are smart enough to rent a motel room and pick up a friend with which to hook up.

Parrots of the variety you hve seem dangerous. I have a buddy who bought a grey parrot when he was a Naval pilot. That was almost 30 years ago and this grey parrot is still healthy and fairly friendly . Hes noqhere near as magnificent as is yours but he is very attentive and verbose.

jcboy

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 03:57 pm
@farmerman,
OH he can be very dangerous, the kids are afraid of him now. That beak has 2500 lbs of pressure. He loves to trick you, try taking him out of his cage and he puts his foot out like he wants to get on your arm then he pulls back and bites, my entire arm is bruised.

We will see if he settles down after the hormone shots.
jcboy

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:08 pm
@farmerman,
Here he is on top of his cage, and he is not coming down!

You can't get him off the cage until he's ready to go back in!

https://i.ibb.co/C5vnrbK/Screen-Shot-2019-02-10-at-5-04-28-PM.png
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:30 pm
@jcboy,
holy kamoley !

I'm glad my friend's parrots aren't like this. They're more focused on each other and her rabbits. They can't be bothered to attack humans. I'd be totally freaked out if that happened.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:33 pm
@jcboy,
is he a quick learn??. Weve always used positive reinforcement for our border collies and weve never neutered any of them. A treat or some voice "Gboys" are 100 times more effective than scolding .
When Caeser gets horny, do all his faculties sink to his testes or does he still recognize that you are the master and a friend??

That guy is magnificent. Il be he spends lotsa time preening.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 05:31 pm
Sorry to hear you're having bird problems. I know that parrots pack a helluva bite.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 06:12 pm
He is beautiful, but I gotta be honest, I’m not a big fan of boids. Mainly because you can’t read their faces and know when to dodge.

Someone convinced me to hold a baby/young parrot once. I had a boo boo on the side of my nail and the little so and so thought the red was food or something, and dug that hooked beak right in there. YIKES! The owner thought it was funny. I did not. My instinct was to grab it and slam it onto the floor.

So I guess other breeds don’t go into Pon Farr?

https://starbaseatlanta.com/wp-content/uploads/st-ts-ostc260.jpg
0 Replies