26

Render Unto Caesar

Ragman

2  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 08:21 am
Wow! The African Gray was a Navy pilot? They are smart!

Seriously though, our pets are very important to us all . Hopes for a good resolution.

rosborne979

3  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 08:48 am
I don't know much about Macaws. Are his reproductive behaviors something which is likely to pass with the seasons, or as he grows older, or are they likely to hang around for decades? I know those types of birds can live a very long time.

Just trying to offer options for the happiness of yourselves and your bird, and I know you would hate to give up such a wonderful bird, but if the situation becomes problematic, is there maybe a zoo or bird sanctuary that would like to adopt a beautiful male Macaw? I'm sure he would be a beautiful addition to any collection. Caesar might be happier with other Macaw's around rather than hormone treatments, and then you could give love and affection to another lucky bird of some type.

Just a thought. I really don't know much about these birds, or your situation.
jcboy

3  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 06:38 pm
@rosborne979,
We’re not giving up on him just yet. Not going to start the hormone shots. Following the vets, advice, give him plenty of toys to keep him occupied. Leave him in the dark for 12 hours a night and plenty of exercise. That is why we let him out of his cage. He wears himself out climbing up and down.

He can live to be 75 years old and can go through this for over twenty years!

Caesar is a hand fed Macaw, he hasn’t been around other parrots so I’m not sure rehoming him with other parrots would work out for him.

We’re just concerned with the kids being around him.

He’s our daughter’s parrot. He chose her out of the rest of us but even she cannot hold him at this point. We will just wait and see how it goes.
ehBeth

1  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 06:46 pm
@jcboy,
Have you done any training work with Caesar? I talked to my pal who's got 2 - she says they need training and jobs to do so they don't get bored. She also suggests looking into a pal for him - she says it's a big commitment but it could help with the current problem.
jcboy

3  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
We tried, the vet always said to try training him with a stick, that did not over well, he freaked out when he saw the stick and wanted to attack it!

He’s doesn’t like other birds, when he’s sitting outside and there are birds around he is so loud the neighbors have complained.

One thing he does love is his outdoor birdbath, OMG he will say in that bath water for over an hour!

https://i.ibb.co/SrDF7gq/bath.jpg
ehBeth

2  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:27 pm
@jcboy,
I guess you can use bathwater as a training tool. No bath til he behaves while training. He sounds like he really needs the discipline. They are smart buggers and know if they can get you on the run.

2  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 10:57 pm
@jcboy,
Do you take him to the outdoor bird bath, or does he take himself?

2  
Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 11:21 pm
@jcboy,
I don't know if this will help, but there is a Veterinary clinic in South Florida, Avian and Exotics Animal Hospital (they seem to treat a lot of birds and reptiles). The Vets all seem to have extensive experience with exotics and they are plugged in to Vet schools, and Vet specialists all over the Country. Dr. Susan Kelleher started the practice and she also owns a large bird (I think a Macaw, not entirely sure). I only know about them from National Geographic, I haven't vetted them, nor can offer any assurances.....but maybe they can point you to a specialist near you (forgive me if you are already seeing a specialist)...but it couldn't hurt to get a second opinion. I can send the phone number via PM if you like....but full disclosure (I don't own birds or reptiles...I live in Maryland...it's not ideal for exotics....and I have no financial ties to that practice) It's simply something I read about and it seems interesting to me....

Good luck with the boid.
jcboy

3  
Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 07:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks, he’s slowing getting back to his usual self, he will sit on my arm or on the sofa with us but I still don’t trust him on my shoulder.

He’s got plenty of toys in his cage. Macaws are problem solvers. He’s got two acrylic boxes in his cage, toys in the box, he has to figure out how to get them out of the holes, kind of like a kids toy. Round, square and triangle toys, he will sit there for two hours trying to find the right hole to get them out, and he gets it right all the time!