Hawkeye's Final Thread

layman

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

... the anger about it seemed silly and outside of the context of resenting the growing power of gays in society seemed nonsensical. Caring too much about what pasta someone buys is silly.

If it's not obvious, Bob, the last couple of posts I made were partially in response to this comment of yours. I claimed that:

Quote:
Any person with any sense of personal dignity and integrity will strongly object to such tactics.

It wouldn't surprise me if, as with Hawkeye, you would see my comment as "homophobic."
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 03:13 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly!!!!!!!!

Good to see you!
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 03:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I switched to De Cecco and found that I like it better than Barilla. Not sure how widely it's distributed around the world, but it's a good quality dried pasta.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 03:28 pm
Hawkeye was always a jackass on the forum, he’s probably always been and always will be a jackass. But I will say he was one of the few Jackass’s I never put on ignore because reading his posts was liking watching a train wreck, you just couldn’t turn away. Cool
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 03:43 pm
No need to dissect his posts now - he's gone and the lengthy mail he wrote shows how hurt he was by it. Maybe it will teach him to a) be more open about other ideas and b) admit he's a jerk. On c) he'll probably be back in a year or so....

In the meantime let's enjoy the hawkeye free zone!
0 Replies

layman

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 04:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
Never piss off a bunch of bitchy queens they can be pretty vindictive especially in this town.

I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the "bitchy queen" comment came from a homosexual.

Assuming that I am right in my assumption, I wonder if Bob would consider it to be a bannable "per se slur" if Hawkeye had referred to them as the "Saint Pete bitchy queens," eh?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 04:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Come now, that does not do justice to my legendary reading ability. I can read them better than the entrails of a goat!

Smile

Quote:
In poker you can't tell what cards someone has till you see them either but that doesn't mean you can't read their pattern of actions and their tells and make a highly educated guess on what they are holding. You can even get good enough at this to make a living off of it, did that myself briefly.

And just like poker life presents the same case where what people say will not always be truthful and you can and should have skill in reading people beyond what they are willing to say about themselves. A gazelle should not wait for a lion to say "I'm going to eat you" to run and in life we must recognize less explicit patterns that stated intent.

Of course you make a valid point, and I feel I have a decent level of skill in this regard, but I didn't get the same impression from him that you did. I will admit though that I didn't read a lot of his posts, nor was I all that interested in figuring him out. There is also the fact that I seldom found myself arguing against him, not because I agreed with everything he wrote, but because

a) There were always enough people arguing with him to make anything I might write likely redundant,

b) The fact that so many people were arguing with him (many in a crass way) made joining in feel like piling on,

c) There is only so much time in a day and while I have been devoting an inordinate amount of time to A2K of late this is unusual. When I'm here, my time has been, generally, taken up on more interesting, challenging, or (sad to say) compulsive efforts than debating hawkeye, and

c) While he never considered himself "conservative" and insisted on describing himself as a leftist, I think there were enough areas of agreement between us to classify him as, if not a member of my "tribe," then a "neutral," or "free agent:" Someone who most often followed a far different road than I, but one which intersected with mine with some frequency.

I don't maintain a particularly tribal attitude in this forum, but, it would be disingenuous to suggest that tribalism doesn't flourish here. I think an honest observer would acknowledge that this is less the case among those who might be described as "conservative" than it is among those who we might, similarly, consider "liberal." One might argue, as an explanation, that "conservatives" are more independent than "liberals," and that may or may not be correct about the "conservatives" and "liberals" who participate in this forum, but I don't think it holds much water in general. I have seen plenty of tribalism displayed by conservatives in other settings. Why it's the case here, I can't say with anything approaching certainty, but I will add that if there is a general reluctance among the "conservatives" to criticize one of their fellows, there is also a similar reluctance to leap to their defense.

Nevertheless, I do feel an affinity towards the other "conservatives" here and to a certain extent it affects the way I interact with them. In this forum, the "conservative" viewpoint is in the minority and there is no shortage of members who will argue with or attack it. As a result, I, generally, avoid criticizing a fellow "conservative" when I feel that I could. Despite many people's insistence that I do, I never feel compelled to criticize anyone for the sake of some abstract notion like "truth" or "honor," and, generally, for the people who do or have done the insisting it's rhetorical device that is incorporated in an attack or argument made against me, so I don't take the self-righteous umbrage at my refusal very seriously. I will note that there are a couple of "conservatives" who have no reluctance to criticize others of their "ilk," but whether this is because they genuinely feel compelled to address "wrong thinking" wherever they find it or are simply intent upon establishing their bonafides as "objective" and "fairminded," I can't say. I can say that it doesn't bother me very much and I only find it irritating if I perceive it is clearly the latter of the two possible motivations. It's certainly never considered anything like a betrayal.

Since I don't feel I must address wrong thinking wherever I find it I am only rarely going to call out someone I like, who is a member of my very informal A2K tribe, or who I consider a "neutral" or "free agent," unless it is a special case. Given this general philosophy I don't usually examine the arguments of these folks with enough scrutiny to identify "problems," as I am far too busy examining the arguments of the Liberal Tribe members.

At the same time, I am sure that some of the things he said about gays, blacks and women simply didn't seem offensive to me in the way they may have to you and others. Whether or not this makes me homophobic, racist or misogynist is dependent upon the things he said which didn't trouble me, and boils down to a matter of opinion. I'm comfortable with where I stand in this regard, even if others are not.

To cap off this point I will say that I don't believe he was the personification of prejudice and bigotry, others believe him to be, and I don't think it was the duty of all decent people in this forum to either constantly call him out or denounce him categorically whenever given the chance. A number of people who have joined this thread have indicated they didn't find his threads interesting, inviting or of value. Some have expressed that they found his posts, at times, offensive. It seems to me this is fair commentary.

Quote:
In any case being a bigot is not against the rules

Which is fortunate since if it were, there may not be many people here discussing politics or social issues. Bigotry exists outside of race, sexual orientation and gender.

Quote:
We have typically allowed bigotry couched like that in order to have debate about bigotry but have never allowed it to get to the point of lashing out and using hateful slurs at other members here.

You have explained your reasoning in this regard before and I don't have a problem with it. I don't think, however, that it precludes me from making any of the suggestions I have offered concerning what should or should not be grounds for suspension. You've replied that the ostensible reason for his suspension was not something he wrote two and half years ago and I have no reason to question your veracity. If it had been I would be troubled and I see no reason to retract that statement.

Quote:
There will be other bigots who will come along and take up his crusades and as long as they maintain the standards of tone and decorum the community has they will be tolerated too.

Well, since they are already here and have brought crusades other than those you ascribe to hawkeye, I'm sure this is the case.

Quote:
I found no use for Hawkeye shortly after he got here and he made sure to try to annoy and attack me as much as possible, but he was tolerated for almost a decade with no interruption. It was his choice to start adding such slurs to his attacks in the last few years and this is not a community that allows that, it's just that simple.

I don't think you need to defend yourself, but I understand why you might want to. It all boils down to his violating known rules. The rule in question is a good one but even if it weren't he didn't have to violate it.

Quote:
If he wants to be part of this community he can follow its rules, if not that's his choice but it's his loss more than ours for sure.

I would be surprised, but not shocked if he returns, and certainly the forum isn't going to fall to pieces if he doesn't, but I continue to believe that, to some extent, he will be missed, and that the entire "hawkeye saga" is not one of his sins alone. Much of what is wrong with this forum was brought to his threads and put on full display there by others, but if nothing else, I think his suspension and the discussion around it has moved the forum in a positive direction, and I don't mean because he is gone from here.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 04:46 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Excuse my ignorance as I don't spend much time here any more (I did years ago mostly as it relates to the rejection of religious belief). How about a very quick summation?

Of what? The Hawkeye Saga or the Great Pasta Boycott Massacre?
joefromchicago

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 06:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

the Great Pasta Boycott Massacre

With full orchestration and five-part harmony and stuff like that
0 Replies

layman

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 07:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

the Great Pasta Boycott Massacre?

I've never looked at this thread before, and still haven't read it all, but it does raise some interesting questions and it's fascinating to see how differently people can view the same events.

Quote:
JCboy: Never piss off a bunch of bitchy queens they can be pretty vindictive especially in this town....there was this one restaurant that was asked by a Pride board member if he would hold a hurricane party in his bar, Pride would supply the hurricane glasses, you would order a hurricane for 8 bucks, got to keep the glass, 4.00 went to pride and 4.00 to the bar owner for every hurricane sold.

He turned them down, it was all over town within 24 hours and people stopped going. About a week later he posted a public apology on his facebook page and a few started returning to his restaurant but not most. I believe he lasted about 4 months before he closed his doors....

If [Barilla] wants to make it right perhaps he can make a large donation to a GLBT charity.

The following quote is from Sturgis, another gay, who takes a view similar to mine:

Quote:
As a 100% queer, I have to say that I have no intention of boycotting Barilla. Why would I? Mr.Barilla has stated his views, including at the start that he has a 'respect' for homosexuals. He just doesn't plan on going with same gender couples in his ads. Has it been asked, how he is with single parent situations where a child came into being without benefit of marriage?

He can have his ads done in whatever way he chooses. He hasn't put out an ad saying 'our pasta is for heterosexual men and women. Gays need not try it as they are not worthy of our great and delicious products.' If he said that (or similar regarding any other group) then I'd have a major issue and would be less than comfortable buying his products.

JCBoy your behavior reeks of hypocrisy....If someone is willing to overlook what they see as a dreadful statement just for a few dollars donated to a cause or group/organization, then I need to question how sincere they really were about the boycott in the first place.

As stated, as a queer I am not thrilled by Barilla's comments neither though am I greatly offended....I shall continue to purchase Barilla pasta and sauce....I have no intent of giving up one of the few things which I can handle, just because some people think a man saying he isn't planning on placing same gender couples in his advertisements is the greatest disaster and hate-mongering since the grape boycott of yesteryear, which had much better teeth as to a cause...

As an aside, here is another gay referring to himself as "queer." Would the world "queer" also be a per se slur, like fag, I wonder?

"Shaking down" honest businessmen is not a practice that is likely to get these homosexual fanatics much sympathy--except among other gays and their knee-jerk supporters, maybe.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:19 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

the Great Pasta Boycott Massacre?

I've never looked at this thread before, and still haven't read it all, but it does raise some interesting questions and it's fascinating to see how differently people can view the same events.

Quote:
JCboy: Never piss off a bunch of bitchy queens they can be pretty vindictive especially in this town....there was this one restaurant that was asked by a Pride board member if he would hold a hurricane party in his bar, Pride would supply the hurricane glasses, you would order a hurricane for 8 bucks, got to keep the glass, 4.00 went to pride and 4.00 to the bar owner for every hurricane sold.

He turned them down, it was all over town within 24 hours and people stopped going. About a week later he posted a public apology on his facebook page and a few started returning to his restaurant but not most. I believe he lasted about 4 months before he closed his doors....

If [Barilla] wants to make it right perhaps he can make a large donation to a GLBT charity.

The following quote is from Sturgis, another gay, who takes a view similar to mine:

Quote:
As a 100% queer, I have to say that I have no intention of boycotting Barilla. Why would I? Mr.Barilla has stated his views, including at the start that he has a 'respect' for homosexuals. He just doesn't plan on going with same gender couples in his ads. Has it been asked, how he is with single parent situations where a child came into being without benefit of marriage?

He can have his ads done in whatever way he chooses. He hasn't put out an ad saying 'our pasta is for heterosexual men and women. Gays need not try it as they are not worthy of our great and delicious products.' If he said that (or similar regarding any other group) then I'd have a major issue and would be less than comfortable buying his products.

JCBoy your behavior reeks of hypocrisy....If someone is willing to overlook what they see as a dreadful statement just for a few dollars donated to a cause or group/organization, then I need to question how sincere they really were about the boycott in the first place.

As stated, as a queer I am not thrilled by Barilla's comments neither though am I greatly offended....I shall continue to purchase Barilla pasta and sauce....I have no intent of giving up one of the few things which I can handle, just because some people think a man saying he isn't planning on placing same gender couples in his advertisements is the greatest disaster and hate-mongering since the grape boycott of yesteryear, which had much better teeth as to a cause...

As an aside, here is another gay referring to himself as "queer." Would the world "queer" also be a per se slur, like fag, I wonder?

"Shaking down" honest businessmen is not a practice that is likely to get these homosexual fanatics much sympathy--except among other gays and their knee-jerk supporters, maybe.

Sturgis is another guy who I haven't seen in a while. I know he was pretty ill. Does anyone know his present status? His was a reasonable comment on that thread, which I seem to recall was fairly typical of him. I also seem to recall that if he wasn't happy with someone he could be razor sharp with them.

I would think that if a member of one of the protected classes opened the door on using a term like "queer," heterosexuals could walk through as long as it wasn't used in a derogatory fashion. For instance, "Sturgis, as a queer, do you find the pasta boycott rational or silly?" Personally, I would feel, at the least, awkward using any term like that in just about any fashion and so regardless of whether the door is opened, I doubt I would walk through it.
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:21 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Excuse my ignorance as I don't spend much time here any more (I did years ago mostly as it relates to the rejection of religious belief). How about a very quick summation?

I'll try.

- Robert has returned!
- He posted a thread "A2k Sucks" that says basically that A2K is going to get some changes to modernize it.
- After looking around, he posted another thread saying the bad behavior has gotten out of hand and "assholes will be shown the door"
- There are rumors of some regulars getting suspensions.
- Robert saw several threads where Hawkeye was using slurs and suspended him for six months.
- Hawkeye asked Finn to post a final screed.
jcboy

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:21 pm
@layman,
I always knew Sturgis was gay. I never really paid attention to what he posted because he reeked of being a gay republican. I wonder if this will bring him out of the closet now?

I never knew a gay republican until I lived in Florida. That’s kind of like being an African American or a woman for that matter and voting republican.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 9 Jan, 2016 09:49 pm
@engineer,
That's a good down and dirty summary. Actually Hawkeye asked someone to ask me to to post his manifesto, but that's probably a distinction important only to me. I noticed you didn't wait until Chumly answered my question. Didn't want to risk my writing a "quick" summary? Smile
farmerman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 05:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Wow, 6 months. That is extreme. Hawkeye's really harmless except for his inability to accept our societies evolution . He would be very comfortable in the 1940's

Will he return? Will he be the same Hawkee? Will they find a way to fix VW diesel mileage?
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 07:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm curious about why you felt the need to subvert the authority of the owner of the site by publishing a screed from a member who he has banned from posting. If Robert does not want to provide Hawkeye with a platform on his web site, why are you undermining him by providing Hawkeye with that platform?

As A2K members we are essentially Robert's guests, bound by his rules and his dictates because we are congregating in his house. If he decides to ban a particular guest from entry, for whatever reason or violation he sees fit, sneaking that guest back in, by opening a side window for him, as you have effectively done for Hawkeye, is something I see as being egregious on your part.

Hawkeye lost his privilege to use this site to express his views. You seem to be more concerned with acing as a conduit for Hawkeye to continue to maintain a presence here, and thereby collaborating with him in flaunting Robert's authority, then you are in elevating the discussion about how to improve the site, or the appropriate behavior which "guests" here should display if they don't want to be shown the door.
Robert Gentel

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 08:12 am
@firefly,
I get your point of view but don't really see it that way personally and have no qualm with this post. If it were a regular occurrence it might be seen as circumventing a ban etc but I do not want the rules to be so strict that this kind of thing is a big deal.
layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 09:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I get your point of view....

After looking at the Barilla thread, I think I get his point of view, too:

Quote:
firefly wrote [to Hawkeye]:

Are you threatening to boycott A2K? That would be too good to be true.

Just kinda takin a wild-ass guess here, I don't think his point of view has much to do with your authority.

Quote:
...sneaking that guest back in, by opening a side window for him, as you have effectively done for Hawkeye, is something I see as being egregious on your part. Hawkeye lost his privilege to use this site to express his views.

Some "views" just aint acceptable, see? It's egregious, I tellya!
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 09:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
Whether or not you see it, or want to treat it. as a big deal is your call, but I can't regard Finn's posting of "Hawkeye's Final Thread" as anything other than a way of circumventing a ban. I don't know why it would have to be a regular occurrence to fall into that category.

Why does Hawkeye merit some special means of allowing him to get "the last word" after a suspension? And what entitles Finn to provide him with the platform you, as the owner of the site, have already denied him?

Robert Gentel

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 09:42 am
@engineer,
A couple of nits to pick:

- the changes in tone are not motivated by the community behavior getting worse (the community is less vibrant but the tone is not markedly worse) but because of the upcoming changes, if this is going to just be one community in a community of communities then it can afford to set a more restrictive tone, there will be other communities that will pop up to cater to what this community does not want to.

It's the decentralization of community that allows for this one to be less inclusive and that is the driver behind the changes in culture that this community will see. I want there to be communities run different ways by different people who see things differently than I do, and by better fostering that I can run this community more how I would like to and thusly A2K culture is changing (slightly) toward what I prefer for this particular community.

- Historically people who used such kinds of slurs were banned permanently, Hawkeye's suspension will last till the new site is ready (which is likely going to be more than 6 months but unlikely to be less) because when the new site is ready these cases will not result in the user suspended from the platform (the community of communities) and their suspensions from individual communities will be up to the individual communities.

When the new site is ready it is likely that all users will be unsuspended anyway. 99% of them are just spammers and if they happen to come back would be quickly suspended again but the new site will allow for users to create communities that allow for this kind of speech and other users will be able to choose whether or not they want to participate in those communities, so all users will be unsuspended to allow for each community to decide what kind of standards for inclusion they want to set.
0 Replies