Hawkeye's Final Thread

farmerman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:22 pm
@Miller,
According to those who follow Frankie, they said that Frank and Timur were given time-outs for calling each other names . Timur has returned with no damage to his reputation as a debator. Frank, petulant guy he is, has decided that we are not worth his company. So I guess he went to Martha Stuarts site, where he can be the "Sayresville Wild Man"
CalamityJane

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:25 pm
@farmerman,
Hahaha, Martha Stewart site....that's funny, farmerman.
joefromchicago

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:19 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
I don't know that many women have left A2K, but I suspect that many women don't post very often on this site. One reason could be the emphasis of threads on football, history, and politics

And the math threads. I've heard women don't like math either.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
I had to look up Martha Stewart (metaphorically of course).

Funny indeed.
ossobuco

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:24 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Oh wait, what is a nit?
Lordyaswas

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Nits are the empty white eggshells which are left when the (head) lice hatch.

Hence nit picking.

Or nitpicking.
ossobuco

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:28 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Ah, that flashed across my mind and out again before I posted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 03:33 pm
@Miller,
Plenty of us women like both kinds of football and other sports, are interested in history, and spend a lot of time considering political matters. Perhaps you regard women less well than men yourself.

I'll agree that demeaning stuff can get to us, but I don't really see it often here since I have the ignore button when one of those people shows up.
CalamityJane

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 05:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Haven't we established that Miller is Foofie?
CalamityJane

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 05:38 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I had to look up Martha Stewart (metaphorically of course).

Funny indeed.

Yes, and let's hope he'll be happy there from hereon out...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 05:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ehbeth and I weren't as sure as Set, but that was a while ago. I usually don't read either Miller or Foofie, but that one got my interest.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 06:12 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I'm curious about why you felt the need to subvert the authority of the owner of the site by publishing a screed from a member who he has banned from posting. If Robert does not want to provide Hawkeye with a platform on his web site, why are you undermining him by providing Hawkeye with that platform?

As A2K members we are essentially Robert's guests, bound by his rules and his dictates because we are congregating in his house. If he decides to ban a particular guest from entry, for whatever reason or violation he sees fit, sneaking that guest back in, by opening a side window for him, as you have effectively done for Hawkeye, is something I see as being egregious on your part.

Hawkeye lost his privilege to use this site to express his views. You seem to be more concerned with acing as a conduit for Hawkeye to continue to maintain a presence here, and thereby collaborating with him in flaunting Robert's authority, then you are in elevating the discussion about how to improve the site, or the appropriate behavior which "guests" here should display if they don't want to be shown the door.

I was wondering when a post like this would be made.

I don't believe you really are curious at all. Instead, I believe you've already arrived at an answer to your question and you wished to express your opinions concerning it. This is fine but I will respond somewhat as if yours is a actual inquiry.

First of all I don't consider the posting of Hawkeye's letter to be subverting anyone's authority, If Robert views it that way he can suspend me, but I see that he doesn't.

I also don't see this as anything even close to "sneaking him in through a back door." It never even crossed my mind to be a continuing conduit for messages from Hawkeye. It wasn't requested of me and had it been I would have refused. This was a one time deal. Hawkeye was whisked away without being given a chance to be heard a final time relative to his "side" of the story. I thought members would be interested in his "side", particularly in light of the Robert's announcement of changes and tighter controls, and continue to hold that belief. Whether it did or not is dependent upon the points of view of those who read it, but it could provide insight into the process of suspension. You may or may not have noticed, but Robert has hardly been effusive in his explanation of how suspensions operate and precisely what will trigger them. There have been a number of questions concerning the process asked by members throughout several related threads.

I also thought Hawkeye should have the opportunity to provide his "last words" and I would feel the same for izzy or anyone else whose suspension I might, otherwise, applaud. Obviously people such as yourself may not be interested or curious, and you were not compelled to read the letter. It is but one thread of many. I don't have any ability to propel it to "Popular" status, but that's where it currently stands. You may also be of the opinion that Hawkeye didn't deserve the opportunity I've provided his words, and that it was improper of me to facilitate it. You've had the opportunity to express that opinion and it is duly noted.

You need not lecture me on the private nature of this site and the acceptability of Robert setting whatever rules he feels are appropriate. I have made this point myself on several occasions. Unless Robert chooses to have all posts reviewed before they appear, people are free to post whatever they please...at least once. Fully understanding the way this site operates and Robert's "authority" I chose to post Hawkeye's letter. If Robert had decided that it was as egregious as you believe it to be, he might have suspended me or banished me permanently. If he had I would not have complained, but then you would never know that because I wouldn't be able to post anything and no one would have agreed to post one last message from me.

Frankly, I never gave much thought to the consequences that posting the letter might result in because a) I agreed to do it and once agreed I would fulfill my promise b) While I enjoy the forum, if I leave it for good I would prefer to do so on my own terms at a time of my choosing, but in any case I would manage to make what's left of my life meaningful, even without A2K c) Most importantly, I had a solid conviction that Robert would not take the umbrage you have taken. It would have been petty of him and it is also my opinion that regardless of what faults he may or may not have, pettiness is not among them.

I am not about to justify to your satisfaction the efforts I have taken to elevate the discussion in this forum, first because I don't think it's necessary that I try, secondly because I doubt I ever could, (Some levels of animosity just don't seem to be amenable to mitigation efforts), and finally because, honestly, your opprobrium is not something that concerns me much at all.

Of course you can think what you will, but I don't believe for a second that Hawkeye's desire to be heard one last time had anything to do with "flaunting Robert's authority." If that was all I thought it was, I wouldn't have agreed to it. I've no desire to childishly flaunt his desire either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk on eggshells with him. I don't think he's looking for that level of deference and if he is, then a suspension won't be a bad thing for either of us.

But thank you for your contribution to this thread. Whether you know it or not you've introduced an interesting element to the discussion that is worthy of others taking up.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Timur has returned with no damage to his reputation as a debator.

That's obviously a matter of opinion more likely, I think, to be taken by Frank's detractors than timur's friends. I didn't get in the middle of the Frank/timur debate before and I'm not going to now, but I think any objective reading of that thread would result in the finding that neither of them provided us with a great lesson on the finer points of effective debate.

Although you might be exercising your sardonic tendencies when you write "Timur has returned with no damage to his reputation as a debator" To be sure on this, I would have to have a better idea of your sentiments for timur and what you believe his reputation was before that thread and his suspension. (No need to tell me it wasn't a request for information)

Quote:
Frank, petulant guy he is, has decided that we are not worth his company. So I guess he went to Martha Stuarts site, where he can be the "Sayresville Wild Man"

Again, I'm not Frank's spokesperson but based on my recent communication with him I would have to say you are only partly correct when you write "we are not worth his company." I know he holds quite a few members here in high regard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 06:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Are you able to confirm they are the same person? do you have their ISP records?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Most importantly, I had a solid conviction that Robert would not take the umbrage you have taken. It would have been petty of him and it is also my opinion that regardless of what faults he may or may not have, pettiness is not among them.

As he quickly demonstrated after Firefly took it upon himself to assert Robert's authority FOR Robert, eh?

I think Firefly is very unhappy that he doesn't have the final say on this, rather than Robert. His pretense to being concerned about "subverting" Robert's authority just doesn't ring true. He was, however, probably trying to "goad" Robert into doing his (Firefly's) bidding with respect to silencing Hawkeye.

Robert said he doesn't wish to be that tyrannical. Firefly does. I'm sure he can establish his own personal fiefdom once the changes are made. Maybe he will want a "homosexuals only" channel.
layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:46 am
Quote:
“I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics or in anything else. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to Heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all.” (Thomas Jefferson)

"The last degradation of a free and moral agent," eh? I suspect that they are relatively few people left who even understand what's he's getting at, unfortunately. At least not among those who are "outspoken" at A2K.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:33 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Nits are the empty white eggshells which are left when the (head) lice hatch.

Hence nit picking.

Or nitpicking.

Here's another nit for ya, eh, Lawdy:

Quote:
Definition of nit: a minor shortcoming

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nit

Am I nitpicking now? Hell, yeah!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:46 am
@layman,
Not sure, but I believe Firefly is a female.

Like I wrote, I expected, at some point, a post like Firefly's and I'm not particularly surprised it came from her/him, but I am pleased that the thread wasn't inundated with similar posts. It certainly suggests that Firefly is alone in worrying about Robert's authority being challenged, or affronted, on his behalf, for my temerity and ungrateful behavior.

(Just between you and I, I am in cahoots with Hawkeye and our secret go between in a plot to subvert Robert's authority and provide Hawkeye with a means to hurl all sorts of nasty slurs at the people who have told us they are members of minorities, employ photos of minority figures for their icons or have user names that sound suspiciously like something a member of a minority would use. Once all the people that need to be defamed are libeled, we will move to Phase II which is to either wrest control of A2K away from Robert, or bring the forum to it's cyber-knees. Don't tell Robert.)
roger

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
YEAH!

1. Take over forum

2. Something happens.

3. Make lots of money.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 11 Jan, 2016 01:52 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

YEAH!

1. Take over forum

2. Something happens.

3. Make lots of money.

What? Wait a minute. You could see what I wrote, or did that SOB layman spill the beans?