Hawkeye's Final Thread

Robert Gentel

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 09:49 am
@firefly,
It's not special treatment, it's just not a level of authoritarianism I seek (in any of these cases). If someone wants to say goodbye to the community it I find it a bit draconian to want to prevent that.

If the message contained a continuation of the content that resulted in the suspension (e.g. if someone spams on the behalf of a banned spammer, or decides to relay the slurs that got the user suspended in the first place) that would be addressed and if it became a regular thing that too would not be allowed but this is not something I personally care about.

As you mention, others will definitely think differently, and that is the single biggest thing I want to address with the rewrite of this site. There are many ways to go about community management, and there is also not one perfect way. Different strokes for different folks and all. So the new site will let people run their own communities however they like. This might be something I have wrong in community management theory, and others will be able to put that to the test.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:01 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Why does Hawkeye merit some special means of allowing him to get "the last word" after a suspension? And what entitles Finn to provide him with the platform you, as the owner of the site, have already denied him?

If you're so concerned with upholding, and strictly honoring, the owner's authority, then why do argue with him when he asserts it in the way he sees fit, I wonder?
firefly

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:14 am
@layman,
I'm not arguing with how Robert chooses to assert his authority.

I think we differ in how we interpret Finn's posting of Hawkeye's screed. That's a different matter.
layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:16 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I'm not arguing with how Robert chooses to assert his authority.

I think we differ in how we interpret Finn's posting of Hawkeye's screed. That's a different matter.

You're not? Why do you question it, then? Why do you demand explanations from him? What makes you think you're due an explanation as to why he didn't use his discretion in exactly the same manner YOU would have, if only you were the owner? What am I missing here?

Quote:
Why does Hawkeye merit some special means of allowing him to get "the last word" after a suspension? [Because that's what the owner decided] And what entitles Finn to provide him with the platform you, as the owner of the site, have already denied him? [Same as above].

Does that help?

Just curious: Do you happen to have a strong disliking for Finn, too?
firefly

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:29 am
@layman,
I'm not demanding an explanation from Robert--I clearly said it's his call how he want to deal with it.

You're trying to stir up conflict where there is none. Robert understands my point of view, you don't.

Quote:
Just curious: Do you happen to have a strong disliking for Finn, too?

I'm not sure what you mean by "too"? I have absolutely no dislike or negative feelings for Robert.

I have no feelings for Finn, I generally don't pay much attention to him. I am curious why he chose to act as a conduit for Hawkeye with this thread.

layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:41 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I'm not demanding an explanation from Robert--I clearly said it's his call how he want to deal with it.

He already gave his explanation. You read it, just like I did. He basically said that's the way he preferred to do it. But that didn't satisfy you, did it? So you pressed the subject. AFTER he provided his explanation.

Why? I mean, why, if your only concern is that his wishes be strictly obeyed? What more is there to talk about, if that's your true position?

Quote:
You're trying to stir up conflict where there is none.

Could be. On the other hand, your comments could be read as trying to stir up trouble and could be seen as arguing that Finn should be punished for "disobedience." You wouldn't have any personal reason for wanting to see Finn reprimanded, would you?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:49 am
I have a category suggestion for the new look A2K.

How's about a "Nit Pick an Argument" community?

People could spend hours analysing each others posts until members drop out due to exhaustion or boredom.

It would potentially keep layman busy enough to the point that other members not predisposed to pointless dissection and happily posting in other communities could be forgiven in thinking that he no longer exists.
realjohnboy

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:52 am
@Lordyaswas,
Should Nit Pick be one or two words? Nitpick seems right to me.
ehBeth

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:54 am
@Lordyaswas,
http://blog.deeringbanjos.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Thumbs-up.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 10:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
I don't have anything to "argue" with you about with respect to that post, Lawdy. I think your motive is clear enough, and you made no attempt to pass off some bullshit motive for making it.

I do have a problem with those who attempt to persuade the admins to implement their personal agenda by making a bogus appeal to "what's good for the community," however.

If you don't, that's fine with me too.
layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:17 am
@layman,
I wouldn't argue with his presentation of his motives if JCboy had simply said something like:

Quote:
Look, Bob, I'm gay. Hawkeye isn't. I think we agree that Hawkeye is a homophobe. I find his mere presence here to be utterly despicable. It really bothers me to see him have any opportunity to present a "parting message." I don't think his ilk should be allowed to utter a single word on this forum. So, I'm asking you to indulge my outrage by deleting this entire thread. Will you do that, just for me, please?

And, while we're at it, I think anyone who aids and/or abets a homophobe should be dealt with in the same manner as a homophobe should be. Don't you agree?

But then, I would probably argue that his desire to silence those who didn't share his views was inappropriate, so, there ya go, eh? Ya still got the same problem.

If you don't like people like me questioning people like him, then, until such time as you can persuade Bob to ban me (which he may well be on the verge of) then I guess the only present relief available to you is to ignore me.

You would certainly be forgiven if you then ceased to think I exist, ya know?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:29 am
@realjohnboy,
Are you nit picking? Very Happy
farmerman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:34 am
@Lordyaswas,
I rather like your original "pay a dollar per post over the end" to keep a thread going.
layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:46 am
@Lordyaswas,
If you show me a nit, and a good reason to pick it (like, say, it was cotton), then you can bet your last cotton-pickin dollar that I'm gunna pick it, eh?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:49 am
@farmerman,
Of course I shall expect 5% commission on any funds raised.

Times is 'ard, now I've retired.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:50 am
@farmerman,
Such certainly would keep this thread going - it's frustrating that no-one posts here frequently.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:53 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I'm curious about why you felt the need to subvert the authority of the owner of the site by publishing a screed from a member who he has banned from posting. If Robert does not want to provide Hawkeye with a platform on his web site, why are you undermining him by providing Hawkeye with that platform?

I found the actual text a bit boring and it didn't move me in the least. The part confirming the suspension is interesting, plus the 6 month duration which is indeed too much in my book... But i think Finn's quoting of Hawk's final (or semifinal?) words here was a nice gesture. There is some elegance in it. Even people on the galleys were allowed their last word. Maybe it should become a rule for anyone kicked out for more than a month or something. The right to a final post prior to going dark...
0 Replies

layman

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 11:54 am

Johnny's lyin, of course. That boy picked his self a shitload of cotton down in Arkansas when he was a chile, eh?
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 01:22 pm
@farmerman,
Where's Frank Apsia?
Miller

Sun 10 Jan, 2016 01:34 pm
One of Hawkeye's comments that truly amazed me was his surprise that so many women have/had left A2K.

I don't know that many women have left A2K, but I suspect that many women don't post very often on this site. One reason could be the emphasis of threads on football, history, and politics and of course the impolite, crude sexist posts by some males who love to irrate and demean women.