Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

ehBeth

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:48 pm
for all that the Bundys have said they're in Harney county for the locals, they don't actually want to listen to the locals

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/jan/08/sheriffs-meet-with-leaders-of-oregon-refuge-occupation/

Quote:
Federal, state and local law authorities have been closely monitoring the situation at the refuge but have so far taken no action against Bundy and his followers, apparently to avoid a confrontation. Ward has been the most visible law enforcement authority during the occupation, and his strategy so far has been to try to show Bundy that locals oppose the occupation and want them to leave.

Sheriff Ward got a lot of support during a packed community meeting Wednesday night.

At that meeting, local residents said they sympathized with the armed group’s complaints about federal land management but disagreed with their tactics and called on Ammon Bundy and his followers to leave.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:48 pm
@Glennn,
You are free to post as you please but may I request that you refrain from further back and forth with glitterbag?

Two reasons for the request

1) It is distracting you from your former practice of contributing posts that are germane to the topic at hand

2) This exchange will only end if you end it or it brings the thread to a close. It is extremely rare that any post, no matter how clever, pointed or truthful serves as the "last word" in disputes here.

My request does not imply any fault and, again, you are obviously free to post as you please. I won't be renewing this request or taking this matter further - Thanks
layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
1) It is distracting you from your former practice of contributing posts that are germane to the topic at hand

Why bother with germane posts, eh, Finn? They don't seem to get any response beyond insults from those with their own agenda, eh?
layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:00 pm
@layman,
Personally, I'm happy to see that Glenn didn't just let blatant misrepresentations pass as mere "hyperbole" or "subjective opinions." Robert can't clean this joint up and eliminate such slanderous tactics--only the members can.

I think Glenn's dispassionate responses to over-the-top hysteria is just what is needed, ya know?
0 Replies

Glennn

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You are free to post as you please

Yes, I am aware of that.
Quote:
may I request that you refrain from further back and forth with glitterbag?

Yes, you are free to make such a request. Isn't freedom great?
Quote:
This exchange will only end if you end it

If you are trying to say that a similar appeal to Glitterbag would be futile, then I would have to agree. Therefore, I will take the "high road" . . . again, and stop. However, when she returns to exact her revenge for my pointing out her misunderstanding concerning who threw out the first insult, and I remain silent, I will hold you directly responsible for that uncomfortable, helpless neutered feeling that I will no doubt experience. Smile
layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
for all that the Bundys have said they're in Harney county for the locals, they don't actually want to listen to the locals

You don't seem to be reading the same accounts of their (the Bundy gang's) statements that I do.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:15 pm
Quote:
At a town hall meeting on Wednesday afternoon, residents of the closest town, Burns, appeared divided on whether the militia should leave the refuge, a 45-minute drive away...

Later, as others spoke calling attention to the land-use issue the Bundys were focusing on, people said they had become sympathetic to their cause — which touches on a long-standing controversy between the government, which owns vast amounts of protected land in the West, and locals who want to use it for grazing, mining and economic exploitation.

The leader of the anti-government militia that has occupied a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon and the local sheriff met on Thursday in an effort to resolve the situation peacefully. The meeting ended without an agreement, but the two will talk again Friday in another attempt to find a solution....

A group of militia members led by Bundy arrived in a convoy at the rendezvous, witnessed by VICE News, while the sheriff came accompanied by a small tactical team. The two met by the side of the road for about five minutes, then shook hands, and agreed to talk again on Friday.

https://news.vice.com/article/militia-leader-ammon-bundy-sheriff-meet-to-end-oregon-standoff

What!? Talked? Shook hands!? Where's the shoot-to-kill ACTION, I ask ya? This is boring. Where's Montel?
layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:20 pm
@layman,
There's a 6-7 minute video of the talk at that site. The Sheriff starts off by saying that "there's been some positive stuff that's come out of this...I've talked to congressmen, senators, governors...I think the people of the country are excited about working out issues that come from government overreach."
glitterbag

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:38 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Nice try, but you know that was meant for you. I've always marveled that people like you fling derogatory insults with ease then get all faux offended if someone returns the favor.

You are having short-term memory problems. If you will recall, you threw the first insult out there when you referred to Layman and myself as being about as sharp as a bowl of oatmeal for the "crime" of asking bob for the source of a "fact" he posted.
Quote:
I'll never understand why a man who gets a return smart ass remark after they fling the first insult, has the unmitigated gall to pretend that their mother, their kids their wife or their dog and American flag have been somehow debased. That's a cowards move.

So, in view of the fact that I just reminded you that you threw out the first insult, how do you feel about having been shown that, according to your own
definitions, you pulled a coward's move? Don't you just hate it when this kind of
thing happens to you?

You have a reading comprehension problem, my remark about oatmeal was not directed at you. I think it was starkly apparent who I was referencing. It's stretches credulity that you think I lumped the two of you together. It's astounding to think you and the other guy are considered a package deal. You can't possibly think that, if you do I'm sorely disappointed. Nevertheless, your little 'joke' was laden with spiteful innuendo that everybody recognizes. But if you insist you made a playful joke, then consider my response to your joke as a friendly haha to acknowledge your sense of humor.
glitterbag

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:44 pm
@Glennn,
Sadly I missed that note from Finn, sorry I make Glenn feel neutered. Glenn old pal, I'm going to put you in the same status Finn is in. Bye Glenn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:47 pm
@Glennn,
Thanks - I think
Glennn

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You really owe me . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:38 pm
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2016/01/07/finley-bohlman-slides002_wide-43b0eb73684e6b62e97f6e8e7ac89ae10cc6a7df-s800-c85.jpeg

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/08/462286523/these-photos-inspired-the-creation-of-that-occupied-oregon-refuge

if this is correct

Quote:
back in 1920 during a campaign to drain Malheur Lake and sell the land to farmers. That campaign failed. Fifteen years later, Franklin Roosevelt added an additional 65,000 acres to the refuge.

less of the refuge was once ranch land than I'd calculated toward the beginning of the thread

I'll have to do more poking around.
0 Replies

Glennn

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 04:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You have a reading comprehension problem, my remark about oatmeal was not directed at you. I think it was starkly apparent who I was referencing.

Well, let's see. Here's your insulting remark: At this point, does it matter what their plea was? They were found guilty.

(Bob, some folks reasoning abilities are as sharp as a bowl of oatmeal. We should pray for them, chant or maybe do nothing
)

That was your response to Layman. Considering that he and I were the only ones calling bob out on his fabrication, who else could you have had in mind when you threw out that insult? Nonexistent posters? And if you're going to claim that it was directed at only Layman, the fact is that we were both trying to convince bob of the wisdom of producing the source of his now defunct point. So . . .
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 06:32 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

At his point, does it matter what their plea was? They were found guilty.
(Bob, some folks reasoning abilities are as sharp as a bowl of oatmeal. We should pray for them, chant or maybe do nothing)

I don't see your name anywhere. You imagine I was talking or referring to you. I don't think you've been a member long enough to even notice. What is it, 5 months? If you feel compelled to answer, have at it. I'm done, you just aren't that interesting.
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:38 pm
There ONE thing that always stand out to me during these discussions of rights in the USA. Despite the fact that the US presents itself to the world as the home and centre of freedom and democracy, a fact that the conservatives particularly will trumpet at every opportunity, no external threat has ever frightened an American more than the fear of the power of their own government.
BillRM

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:43 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
no external threat has ever frightened an American more than the fear of the power of their own government.

That go from the very start of the nation where no one wish for a large standing army but instead depended on the states militias.

In fact the whole national army was only in the ten thousand before the civil war.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:50 pm
@Wilso,
That's mostly true, but on the east coast we were shelled by German subs prior to WWI and WWII, and sadly the Russians have been trolling our coastline since they have had subs. We do have countermeasures in place and we are pretty good at detecting foreign subs, when you live in an area that everyone knows is a potential target, you might worry a tad that unfriendly's could blow you off the map.

I forgot to mention the sub activity during WWII, my Dad would be deployed from Ft. Moultrie in South Carolina. His missions were of relatively short duration, so my mother was able to live near base close to the ocean with Dad. Body parts and parts of vessels would wash up on the beach (there was a war going on) and I think many of the children whose parents served think about
that.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:07 pm
Seems the feds are startin to fear the locals now, eh?

Quote:
Concrete barriers went up outside the Harney County courthouse and sheriff’s office Friday morning in preparation for a possible protest, according to workers at the building.

Heavily armed sheriff’s deputies were seen on foot and in patrol trucks in the neighborhood around the courthouse in Burns.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/law-enforcement-protest-harney-county-courthouse/

Heavily armed, eh? There's some pics there. Looks like they're getting ready to block access and form a barrier they can stand behind if they tear gas a crowd, or something, eh?
George

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:28 pm
@layman,
I wonder what constitutes a crowd in Harney County?
0 Replies