Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:35 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The second, from NYU journalism prof Jay Rosen (pressthink.org) is that the mainstream media has evolved a framework for thinking/reporting which presents a posture of objectivity through a mandatory equivalence - "World round say some. Others disagree"
There's something to that all right. My bitch about the press lately is the shallowness of the story. After reading the headline, there is no need to read the rest of the story.
blatham

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:59 am
@Leadfoot,
Rosen is a very smart guy. I can't think of anyone who's media commentary I've found more helpful. I encourage anyone with a serious interest in present media to attend to his pressthink blog.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:53 am
@Lash,
Actually Kansas said Cruz.

Cruz - 35,207
Bernie - 26,450

Let's hope Kansas is wrong.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:58 am
@parados,
too many states (for my ease) having bigger Republican than Democratic turnouts
Blickers

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 11:05 am
@ehBeth,
Here's a question: Does turnout during the primary correlate to victory in November? I don't have an answer, I was just wondering.
engineer

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 12:23 pm
@Blickers,
Fivethirtyeight.com did something on this. Their take was basically that turnout is a function of how much people love their candidate/hate the other one and how close the race is. The Republican contests right now have lots of passion and are fairly close in a lot of states. Many of the Democratic contests are complete blowouts and exit polls show that Democratic voters in general are pretty happy with both of their choices, so not so much passion.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:07 pm
@blatham,
I meant that every time I go to a news site its 90% trump and 10% the rest of them. Media is all about money, not news. Yes I know, eventually one can find other information 50 or a 100 paragraphs down.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
After reading the headline, there is no need to read the rest of the story.

I will respectively disagree with you. Many headlines give one opinion, but if one reads on to the last paragraph you find it was not the right information.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:31 pm
@RABEL222,
"Never trust the cover of a book or the title of an article." Just say'n.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 07:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Most recent issues about replacing the president.
Quote:
From late 1943 until President Franklin D. Roosevelt's death on April 12, 1945, Roosevelt reportedly suffered from various life-threatening ailments, including malignant melanoma, hypertensive cardiomyopathy, severe high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and stroke-related symptoms (to which he eventually succumbed). Henry A. Wallace, his Vice President for most of this period, was largely regarded by many governmental and Democratic insiders as too close to the Soviet Union and potentially a Communist sympathizer, so that moving him into any sort of Acting Presidency or co-Presidency was never seriously considered. Also, it was considered[by whom?] necessary for national security during World War II not to show weakness to America's enemies. When Harry S. Truman became Vice President in January 1945, he also was kept unaware of Roosevelt's condition.
During the midpoint of Dwight D. Eisenhower's presidency, there were three instances in which the President was disabled. The first occurred in September 1955, when Eisenhower suffered a heart attack while on vacation. On June 8, 1956, he was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction that ultimately required surgery and incapacitated him for six days. On November 25, 1957, Eisenhower suffered a mild stroke, which caused him to be hospitalized for three days. In each case, Vice President Richard Nixon did carry out some of Eisenhower's informal presidential responsibilities, but full presidential authority (such as signing bills into law, for example) remained solely with Eisenhower.
In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson had a gallbladder operation. During the surgery and recovery, there was no move to have Vice President Hubert Humphrey assume presidential powers and duties.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@RABEL222,
What matters is how historians rank our presidents. I'm almost afraid to forecast how historians will rank Trump, and that's if the US is still in existence.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-hamilton/ranking-the-presidents_b_825455.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:38 am
@RABEL222,
"I meant that every time I go to a news site its 90% trump and 10% the rest of them. Media is all about money, not news. Yes I know, eventually one can find other information 50 or a 100 paragraphs down."

Too absolutist in framing but I get what you mean.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 09:02 am
The best clown ever.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 09:22 am
Looks like Trump to me. (It's the haircut that gives it away.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/jasperthecatt/Cursedearth.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 06:44 pm
@izzythepush,
I disagree. It's the eyes. Empty.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 10:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is that any way to talk about the next president of the U S of A?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 03:29 am
@RABEL222,
Don't you mean the last?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 07:55 am
Later I'll see what some forecasters say, but I am thinking the big dogs in the republican party are going to try to pull Trump out some or another and get Cruz in there. I think it will be close no matter who goes against Hillary and I am not sure she will win, not sure she will loose either. I am almost positive she will win the primary.

Trump, Clinton Look for Michigan Rebound

The Great Lakes State is the biggest prize among Tuesday’s electoral contests.

snood

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:03 am
@revelette2,
I think I'd rather the GOP candidate ends up as Cruz rather than Trump. I think they're both insane charlatans, but I think Trump's brand of crazy might prove more popular, and harder to beat.
revelette2

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2016 08:04 am
@engineer,
Maybe the passion is not there because many feel they already know who is going to win the primary. People just don't get excited by Hillary even if they support her and vote for her. Perhaps Hillary and her team is digging up everything they can on Trump and they will run a negative campaign against Trump. I know we like to think ourselves above all that, but some feeling has got to come from somewhere and if she don't, she is liable to be drowned out by Trump trying to discuss issues.

(sorry meant this reply to snood)
0 Replies