The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 10:53 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, OK, Bob, whatever you say. I will in one last swoon resurrect a prior hypothetical I advanced.

Suppose the President plans an "address the nation" speech, designed to articulate his goals and, presumably, open them up to "public" discussion. But, before the address, he sends his agents in to shut off the TV's of every person he doesn't like.

Wouldn't that strike you, on principle and a priori, as somehow wrong?

That's simply not "public" discussion. It excludes potential critics, that's all.

This is unworthy of you, you have to be smarter than that.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 10:53 pm
@layman,
Not all conflict is avoided, just the ones where one of the participants doesn't want to fight.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:00 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Suppose the President plans an "address the nation" speech, designed to articulate his goals and, presumably, open them up to "public" discussion. But, before the address, he sends his agents in to shut off the TV's of every person he doesn't like.

Don't be silly. This analogy makes no sense. The president essentially blocks everyone from interrupting him in a speech and if anyone wants to not listen to the speech they can. It's not like every idiot gets to run up to him in his speech and blather on either or every single person must see the speech.

Quote:
Wouldn't that strike you, on principle and a priori, as somehow wrong?

Sure but predictable. Make up ridiculous examples get ridiculous results.

Quote:
That's simply not "public" discussion. It excludes potential critics, that's all.

Sure, it was a deliberately ridiculous example meant to do so. Doesn't have anything at all to do with this feature and the analogy makes no sense. In any case, I've discussed this with you long enough and this is just getting to you repeating what you have already said (this silly Obama sneaking in and turning off everyone's TV analogy was ignored the first time) and there's really no profit in continuing to talk about this endlessly.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:01 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
This is unworthy of you, you have to be smarter than that.

I just think that I don't, and shouldn't, have the right to prevent you from attending if I want to make an argument to the City Council at a public Town House meeting.

If that's not smart, then I fess up: I'm an idiot.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
The president essentially blocks everyone from interrupting him in a speech and if anyone wants to not listen to the speech they can.

Do you deliberately misconstrue anything you want to disagree with, Bob? Your supposed "illustration" of my point is itself extremely ridiculous.

How about after the speech? The next day? The next week? How are those who weren't allowed to hear the speech to begin with supposed to discuss it?

Interruptions, eh? Yeah, right

I realize that I have the weaker argument here, of course. After all, I didn't characterize what you said as "ridiculous" 4-5 times. I just did it once. You win 5-1.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:09 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Do you deliberately misconstrue anything you want to disagree with, Bob? Your supposed "illustration" of my point is itself extremely ridiculous.

Not it's not. When the president makes a speech it is like everyone is blocked from posting and can only read it, it is not a two way conversation even. The president doesn't face a free-for-all where he can be interrupted at any time by anyone in the audience. It's a one to many conversation not a many to many conversation. Comparing the forums to his speeches makes no sense, his speeches has much more control than blocking even would ever give. He can enforce the one to many nature of the conversation, and you can't say anything back.

It's an awful analogy because it's not even the same kind of communication. Forums are a many to many medium. Not a one to many medium (that would be more like a blog kind of community, which we'll be doing too). Forums are more like conversations Obama chooses to have in public, things like town halls. And yes he blocks people, go ramble on and interrupt him in a public town hall sometime and you'll see. Those are moderated conversations and behaving a certain way will get you excluded from the conversations.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
When the president makes a speech it is like everyone is blocked from posting and can only read it

Oh, so it that case they CAN read it, eh? Go figure.

Quote:
Comparing the forums to his speeches makes no sense...It's an awful analogy because it's not even the same kind of communication

This is quite typical, actually. If I want to make a point to a kid, and use an analogy using a tortoise and a hare, he can just utterly refute the point by saying: "But they aren't real people, like me."

Quote:
And yes he blocks people, go ramble on and interrupt him in a public town hall sometime and you'll see

You continue to completely ignore the point. That's the best way to "respond" to it, sho nuff. Go right on ahead with your bad self, there, Bob.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:22 pm
@layman,
You're partly right , you can't keep me out of a government open meeting, but you don't have to accept my phone call or allow me access to private parties at your house.

This forum is open to everyone until it's not. We are guests, not shareholders or citizens with an absolute right to be here. The crucial word here is 'public meeting' City Council is public, A2K is not. Honest to God, don't you see the difference? Members here are not public figures like elected officials. You have the right to express your opinion, you just can't force free people to listen to you. I don't care if you read my posts or put me on ignore. What is the real world consequence for me? Will it affect my finances or family, and if it doesn't, why in the world should I give a rats?. I keep you on ignore because I cannot abide that stupid affectation you use, i simply cannot take you seriously when you are 'sho nuffing' around. Please give me your rationale why I should be forced to read or respond to everything you post. No one can force me to watch 'Survivor' but if you want to watch it, God Bless.
Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:34 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
When the president makes a speech it is like everyone is blocked from posting and can only read it

Oh, so it that case they CAN read it, eh? Go figure.

Quote:
Comparing the forums to his speeches makes no sense...It's an awful analogy because it's not even the same kind of communication

This is quite typical, actually. If I want to make a point to a kid, and use an analogy using a tortoise and a hare, he can just utterly refute the point by saying: "But they aren't real people, like me."

Quote:
And yes he blocks people, go ramble on and interrupt him in a public
town hall sometime and you'll see

You continue to completely ignore the point. That's the best way to "respond" to it, sho nuff. Go right on ahead with your bad self, there, Bob.

Do you honestly not see the difference between public meetings and this forum? Please don't tell me you don't because I have raised children and I recognize kid bullshit when its offered up. Over the years I have learned if you treat every single silly question like its a worthy argument your child will continue for hours. I will not spend hours with a four year old negotiating what he/she wants to do when its something I simply will not allow as a parent. Every so often the answer is 'because I said so", I used that with my kids, my nephews and frankly when I was in management. In management that wasn't my first response, but when you have a project and it has to be completed you do not have the luxury of debating new hires for hours on the utility of doing the job they get paid to do.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You're partly right , you can't keep me out of a government open meeting, but you don't have to accept my phone call or allow me access to private parties at your house.

Of course not. And I don't have to invite you to my birthday party, either. But, somehow, I never got the idea that A2K was a private birthday party or a phone call to an individual. Generally, I have the right to call your phone number, and of course you don't have to answer it. I generally have the right to walk down a public sidewalk in front of your house, even if you have told me that you don't want to see me.

Let's not confuse public with private, eh?

Quote:
you just can't force free people to listen to you

Of course not, and you can put me on ignore any time. Why the non sequiturs? You have in no way addressed the effect of "blocking." Nor has Bob in his recent "responses."

Quote:
No one can force me to watch 'Survivor' but if you want to watch it, God Bless. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

It's easy to grasp, and I wouldn't argue with it for a second. But of course it has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I've said.

Any more obvious, but irrelevant "arguments" you want to make, Glitter?

0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Do you honestly not see the difference between public meetings and this forum?

Yeah, I see you do have more non sequiturs to dispense.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:42 pm
OK, I give up, I cannot nor will not continue entertaining these silly 'what ifs". I don't have Robert's patience, and if this was a face to face conversation I would have finished this a long time ago. It does piss me off when smart people play dumb just for grins and giggles. I really don't like to be pissed off this late in the evening, especially when it becomes piffle.

Now I have to do something that real adults do, maybe pay a bill or shop for a new car. I think I'll get online and check out the new Audi's. Thats it, I feel cleansed.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:48 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
It does piss me off when smart people play dumb just for grins and giggles.

I can't comment on whether or not you and Bob are just "playing" dumb.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 11:57 pm
@layman,
Ok, Bob who, bobsal or robert genteel?

Of course you can't, you still think this a game you can win.
layman

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:02 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:

My Mama done told me, that there one time, she said:

Quote:
Looky here, Layboy: Don't NEVER try to learn no pig to sing. It aint never gunna work no how, and it just pisses the pig plumb the **** OFF. Remember that, boy.

I don't never forget nuthin my Mama done told me.
Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:55 am
@layman,
Quote:

She said, "That ain't the way to have fun, son"

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:13 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

My Mama done told me, that there one time, she said:

Quote:
Looky here, Layboy: Don't NEVER try to learn no pig to sing. It aint never gunna work no how, and it just pisses the pig plumb the **** OFF. Remember that, boy.

Sorry pal, I can't decipher you gibberish. But on a more coherent post, you said you can call, but if I tell you you can't call, you can't call me. I don't have to endure you calling nor can you make me responsible for ignoring phone calls from you. But you can walk down my street, you can't step on the lawn or loiter.
It appears you have boundary issues.

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:39 am
@layman,
I kinda like you. There is a lot to like.

I hate when people call cops pigs, I just do ya know?

It's like call a woman a bird. Why? Cause she has two legs? She doesn't chirp, she may seek food and water, tend to her babies, mumma taught her.

If only you would be you..............
roger

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 02:44 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

If only you would be you..............

Yes. I think he can talk very well. The rest is just a distraction.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2015 01:13 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Hey everybody, its too soon to panic. Genteel said the change is at least a year away. He could get busy and have to abandon the idea temporarily. All he has said so far is he wants to bring us into the 21st century and nothing else has really been decided. Lets not stress over changes that haven't been made and remember that Robert designed the site we are all so fond of, lets trust him to just make it better.

This is one of several posts wherein you have either advised everyone to settle down or expressed the opinion that you couldn't stand to be Robert, getting all of these questions and comments.

Unless you are attempting to curry favor with Robert, I fail to see the point in your repeatedly posting such things. If the thread frustrates or annoys you, don't participate.