The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:38 pm
@layman,
Can I please ask a question without inciting a storm over which members are dirtbags who should be run out on a rail?
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 05:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Can I please ask a question without inciting a storm over which members are dirtbags who should be run out on a rail?

Not sure if your question is rhetorical, or what, Glitter. If you want to ask me a question, by all means, feel free.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 07:30 pm
@hingehead,
Not everybody is on Facebook. I'm a reluctant Facebook member, but I have had a great time catching up with expats on NA2K. I know that Roberta and several others really miss the expats, the folks who migrated to FB are not folks you think of as troublemakers. They just tired of the ugliness. Hopefully most will return, but since posting here is a voluntary pastime, they are entitled to spend their free time doing things they enjoy.

It might be useful to remember that Facebook allows you to keep your posts private, you can block people from reading your account. That really is useful if you need to avoid ex-husbands, or really anybody you would not want to spend time with in social or work situations.

Spending time here is something I enjoy. My favorite topics are the humor and game threads. But I also enjoy the music, film topics. If I find someone is getting under my skin to the point I start responding in kind, its time to use the ignore feature.

Some members seem to believe that a clarion call goes out in order to thumb down other members posts. No one has ever asked me to do that and I don't seek back up in order to express my opinion. Oddly enough, I've been thumbed down on silly game threads, even the really harmless ones like "women's names in alphabetical order". Personally the whole thumbs up and down is a non-issue, but it does bother some.

Bottom line is, we are all guests on Robert's site. If I'm driving members away, he would be remiss if he didn't send me packing.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 07:36 pm
Is the site going to look any different? Personally, I hope so. Not that there's anything wrong with the way it looks now, but I feel that if the new policies and set-up were to go with a new look, it would stimulate the feeling of "newness". (I know - it's incoherent rambling!)
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 07:43 pm
@Wilso,
Yes, and there are elements to the newness that will be disliked by some (i.e. threaded comments is a big change).
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 07:58 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Quote:
Bob said: You've made no case at all that this will happen, and are just throwing out you fear, uncertainty and doubt about the changes.

I have made a case, although it wouldn't surprise me if you ignored it.

It is sometimes (perhaps frequently) necessary to know what a certain poster has said in order to meaningfully participate in a discussion.

That's my claim. Do you deny that's the case, Bob?

I'm repeating this just to see if I can get a response to a very simple question.

Bob, you wrote a long-ass "response" to a point I was trying to make, and spent a lot of time analyzing my motives and assuring me that my thoughts were "silly," "nonsense," indefensible, and generally reactionary and fearful.

I responded with the post above. Do you care to respond to the substance of the issue, or would you prefer to just limit it to your prejudiced monologue?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:01 pm
@layman,
Your question doesn't seem to make sense to me in the context of the feature planned. I suspected it was a misunderstanding about how that feature would work and didn't try to decipher what you meant. But if an answer means that much to you instead of merely repeating it perhaps you could rephrase it. I don't understand your question.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
As I said, in a rhetorical kinda way before, maybe I don't understand how this "blocking" function is supposed to work.

As I've also said, I was not addressing the question to the planned "communities," but rather to open forums.

With that hopefully understood, let me ask you to be sure:

If I "block" someone, does that make it impossible for THEM to read MY posts? My understanding it "yes, it does." Is that correct?
roger

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:17 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

If I "block" someone, does that make it impossible for THEM to read MY posts? My understanding it "yes, it does." Is that correct?

That is my understanding, as well. Your blocking action will not affect others from seeing that member's post.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:18 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
As I've also said, I was not addressing the question to the planned "communities," but rather to open forums.

You are confused here too. There will be a platform that hosts communities the communities are themselves the forums. Each forum is a community on this platform and whether they are "open" or not is up to them I guess (most will be, cause they will want more members than the few that they start with).

Quote:

Nothing is impossible but yes it hides it from them.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
You are confused here too. There will be a platform that hosts communities the communities are themselves the forums.

And each "forum" has a ringleader?

And each forum has criteria for being allowed to enter and speak?

Is that the idea?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:23 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
And each "forum" has a ringleader?

It may have one it may have many, up to them.

Quote:
And each forum has criteria for be allowed to enter and speak?

In the sense that any community has rules, yes. But not like there will be an application or anything (except for the rare types of community that will want to restrict registration). Most communities will not want to restrict posting or registering as those are the key goals a forum wants its visitors to accomplish. The ones that do will have their special reasons to do so (e.g. a secondary private forum for the moderators of a community).
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
It may have one it may have many, up to them

OK, but who is "them" to begin with? Can I set up my own "forum" at will, which I will then "own?" It can just be my personal fiefdom where I am the absolute dictator?

In general, how do these "forums" get established?
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sound like you are reinventing facebook groups.
BillRM

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:30 pm
@layman,
Layman had you ever used either a yahoo group or a facebook group as that sound what Robert is talking about,

Nothing wrong with the concept except there are many websites meeting that need and had been for a decade or so.

An of course it will in my opinion break up one large community into a great many smaller ones.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:32 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sound like you are reinventing facebook groups.

Nothing new about forums either (there was nothing new about Facebook for that matter), the main differences I want to have from Facebook (and any other platform I know of this type) are:

1) the users will "own" the network on this platform vs being the product on facebook. They can use their own domains to run communities and they are the owners of them, unlike facebook groups (you can't sell it, it's not yours).

2) This will aim to live in the pseudonymous identity space, unlike Facebook. Not all types of community lend themselves well to real identity.

3) This platform will live and die based on the users liking it enough to want to keep it alive with some of them opting for subscriptions, and the revenue from these subscriptions will not just support the platform but will be distributed to the community managers and the content creators. Unlike on most other platforms, this business model revolves around users making micro donations to the content creators and community managers.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:37 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
OK, but who is "them" to begin with?

"There's a minimum crew requirement..."
"What's the minimum crew?"
"One.. I suppose.."

Quote:
Can I set up my own "forum" at will, which I will then "own?" It can just be my personal fiefdom where I am the absolute dictator?

Pretty much.

Quote:
In general, how do these "forums" get established?

Click button, make forum. Get to be the person on the other end of these exchanges.

I'm looking forward to it immensely.
layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Layman had you ever used either a yahoo group or a facebook group as that sound what Robert is talking about,

Naw, Bill, I aint had (and aint planning to) no truck with them kinda joints, so I aint got no clue what this is all about, I guess.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Unlike on most other platforms, this business model revolves around users making micro donations to the content creators and community managers....I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Well, OK, business is business. Good luck.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2015 08:42 pm
@layman,
I see that you are mixing my words out of context deliberately. What I'm said I was looking forward to is users being on the other end of these exchanges.
0 Replies