God's Forgiveness

snood

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:04 pm
Lemme see here... if I respond to a blanket statement which calls me a fool by association... naw, I won't bite.

Anyone who thinks that the notions of 'good' and 'evil' are definitively unrelated to the existence of a God, is, IMHO, a short-sighted jackass.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 05:20 pm
I am not short-sighted, Snood.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 06:21 pm
Duce, every time someone says that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, I feel compelled to add "So is the road to Heaven."
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, do you mean a God-damned fool? Or perhaps a G-d-damned fool?

BTW, I think the Hindu "God", Brahma, would never damn anyone since, in doing so, It would be damning Itself.

JLNobody, well said, and has to be true. No "God" would damn its own creation, but she/he might leave it alone for a spell.

sun
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 12:20 pm
sunlover wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

BTW, I think the Hindu "God", Brahma, would never damn anyone since, in doing so, It would be damning Itself.

JLNobody, well said, and has to be true. No "God" would damn its own creation...

Hummmm...well....the god of the Bible might.

The god of the Bible is capable of anything.

It is a very disconcerting mythoogy.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
sunlover wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

JLNobody, well said, and has to be true. No "God" would damn its own creation...

Hummmmm...well...I'll try to answer you, but I sure don't like it. My shield is ready for attack.

Some people whose actions were described in the O.T., those who didn't exactly "get with the program" were destroyed but, not to worry, they were given another chance, came to live again another day, hopefully, came closer to meeting challenges and/or living solely for the good of the whole.

People lived long, long lives in biblical times. Some think reincarnation was "invented" because God felt sympathy for renegades, racking up karma that couldn't be absolved in a million lifetimes. Now, we have these little short lives without so much time for rotten mistakes.

For some, dead is best. What if Hitler had lived 1,000 years? Obviously, we aren't taken out by "God" anymore but must figure things out for ourselves.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:51 pm
sunlover wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
sunlover wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

Hummmmm...well...I'll try to answer you, but I sure don't like it. My shield is ready for attack.

Some people whose actions were described in the O.T., those who didn't exactly "get with the program" were destroyed but, not to worry, they were given another chance, came to live again another day, hopefully, came closer to meeting challenges and/or living solely for the good of the whole.

People lived long, long lives in biblical times. Some think reincarnation was "invented" because God felt sympathy for renegades, racking up karma that couldn't be absolved in a million lifetimes. Now, we have these little short lives without so much time for rotten mistakes.

For some, dead is best. What if Hitler had lived 1,000 years? Obviously, we aren't taken out by "God" anymore but must figure things out for ourselves.

We weren't discussing death, Sunlover....we were discussing being damned! You know....condemned to Hell to be subjected to excruciating, unrelenting torture for all of eternity by this loving God.

Welcome to A2K.

Hope you stick around a long time.

Hope you pay attention...so that when you post...it applies to what is being discussed.

(Now that wasn't all that bad, was it. No need for a shield!) :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:12 pm
.[/quote]

We weren't discussing death, Sunlover....we were discussing being damned! You know....condemned to Hell to be subjected to excruciating, unrelenting torture for all of eternity by this loving God.

Welcome to A2K.

Hope you stick around a long time.

Hope you pay attention...so that when you post...it applies to what is being discussed.

(Now that wasn't all that bad, was it. No need for a shield!) :wink: :wink:[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome, but the shield is still up!
We are discussing death????? Surprised Death of what? When the body dies, the spirit lives on, so, there is no person to damn. God's deal with us is to connect with the spirit part, live from it so we can maybe receive assistance?. Our part is to get rid of all that stands between the two (lies we've been told) a lot of work, sure, but for some it takes an instant.

I read an old Taylor Caldwell book written about (I'm almost sure it was) Luke, the physician. He was so damn mad at God, thinking it the cause of all the sins, the pain and agony of the world, that Luke made the decision to help all those people any way he could. He spent his entire life in service to mankind, just as a doctor today would with very little money changing hands -- all the while damning God. It doesn't matter a whit if someone things they hate God, even damn him/her. It is all in how we live, being kind or being stupid, selfish, greedy, and mean. Some people appear "mean" yet are very giving and helpful to deserving people.

Then, there are some people who are dead already (Let the dead bury the dead, said Jesus to one of his disciples who wanted to attend a relative's funeral).

There really is no death of the spirit, no being damned. There is no hell, but we seem to have to suffer in order to wake up the spirit. Maybe that is hell. Or, maybe hell is when we realize the enormity of our wrongs. Aren't you just a little curious, Frank, about what we (the spirit) will all "join" to make a whole, which is God? We are all little pieces of God, we just learn, we don't die. I've known a lot of people who appear to be "mean" but are very helpful to others.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 03:03 pm
sunlover wrote:
We are discussing death?????

No...Sunlover...we were discussing being damned. Pay attention.

Quote:
Death of what?

Damned, Sunlover...not death.

Quote:
When the body dies, the spirit lives on...

Really! How do you know that? Or are you just guessing about that?

[/quote]I read an old Taylor Caldwell book written about (I'm almost sure it was) Luke, the physician. He was so damn mad at God, thinking it the cause of all the sins, the pain and agony of the world, that Luke made the decision to help all those people any way he could. He spent his entire life in service to mankind, just as a doctor today would with very little money changing hands -- all the while damning God. It doesn't matter a whit if someone things they hate God, even damn him/her. It is all in how we live, being kind or being stupid, selfish, greedy, and mean. Some people appear "mean" yet are very giving and helpful to deserving people.[/quote]

Not sure what this is about...but it is interesting.

Quote:

There really is no death of the spirit, no being damned.

How do you know that? Or are you just guessing?

Quote:
There is no hell, but we seem to have to suffer in order to wake up the spirit. Maybe that is hell. Or, maybe hell is when we realize the enormity of our wrongs. Aren't you just a little curious, Frank, about what we (the spirit) will all "join" to make a whole, which is God? We are all little pieces of God, we just learn, we don't die. I've known a lot of people who appear to be "mean" but are very helpful to others.

I have lots of curiosity about REALITY, Sunlover....but I do not know if there is a God or not...and the rest of that speculation just makes no sense if that is the case.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
Welcome, Sunlover -
and you trust your instincts, and hold on to that shield until you feel comfortable...
Hell, I feel like I need one every so often and I've been here for quite a while...
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:44 am
Frank, where is evidence that God damns people to hell for eternity? When the body is dead, it's no more. Do you really think God damns the spirit, the soul, to some kind of infinite torture. Most people, while alive, think or fool themselves into believing they're doing the right thing when they destroy others but, truth be told, they've set out to get revenge on some one, or "God."

God sentencing one of his own to torture for eternity would be like one of us sentencing a hand or an arm to neglect, or disease, or...whatever...death?. There being no hell, just change and repentence, no body can be damned when it's dead.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
God's Forgiveness
snood wrote:
Welcome, Sunlover -
and you trust your instincts, and hold on to that shield until you feel comfortable...
Hell, I feel like I need one every so often and I've been here for quite a while...

Hi Snood, and thanks. I just try not to get angry or, like a sponge, absorb some else's. You do a good job, there.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
sunlover wrote:
Frank, where is evidence that God damns people to hell for eternity?

I don't even have evidence that there is a God!

Quote:
When the body is dead, it's no more. Do you really think God damns the spirit, the soul, to some kind of infinite torture.

In the mythology...that is often supposed.

I am directing my comment toward the mythology.

Quote:
Most people, while alive, think or fool themselves into believing they're doing the right thing when they destroy others but, truth be told, they've set out to get revenge on some one, or "God."

I'm sorry...but I don't know what you are getting at here...and I don't see it applying to anything I've said.

Quote:
God sentencing one of his own to torture for eternity would be like one of us sentencing a hand or an arm to neglect, or disease, or...whatever...death?. There being no hell....

How do you know there is no Hell? Or are you just guessing?

Quote:
....just change and repentence, no body can be damned when it's dead.

Huh???
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
God is most forgiving.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:49 pm
raheel wrote:
God is most forgiving.

You have guessed that about your god also, huh?

I'm gonna be especially interested in how you figured that out.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 07:13 pm
What seems to throw a wrench in the works of most discussions like these is that "figuring" ain't how people come to knowledge of God.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:38 am
Snood:

AMEN
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:41 am
snood wrote:
What seems to throw a wrench in the works of most discussions like these is that "figuring" ain't how people come to knowledge of God.

It appears that "knowledge of god" is derived mostly from making a guess that there is a god...insisting that the guess is correct...and then claiming that doing all that constitutes knowledge rather than a guess.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:42 am
duce wrote:
Snood:

AMEN

Same response as I just gave to Snood.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 09:10 am
Frank:

Your so Funny.

Have you NEVER had an experience, you you may have thought you felt God's presence, even on the back 9?
0 Replies