God's Forgiveness

koodles4you

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
"Can ALL sins be forgiven then? Are there such sins that can not be forgiven by God?" -Count Digit

Some believe that there is one unforgivable sin. The sin of telling God that you want nothing to do with Him, The Holy Spirt, or Jesus, and you want them totally out of your life.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:16 pm
sunlover, I think another form of "god" that serves too often to rationalize atrocities is the nation. Nationalism is the moral equivalent of religion for many people in their efforts to dehumanize and kill people of other nations, just as fundamentalists are more susceptible to dehumanizing non-believers. And when nationalism and fundamentalist religion are combined, watch out!
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:14 pm
JLNobody, I've recently moved from a fundamentalist society to a large city where people are move tolerant, mixed, etc. During my short spell with the very religious I just found them terribly thin-skinned. They can't take criticism so they flare up in anger, get revenge, talk loud and fast. The proverbial "good 'ol boys." The only way to handle such people is to get away from them, smile when they ask you to attend their church classes. They were probably yesterday's segregationists who thought everyone was happy that way.

I once saw a news show where an Irish priest (probably in 1930s) was standing on his podium saying really horrible things about Jews.

Fundamentalists and nationalism coming together? Where is that happening, JL? Right now that sounds like those who killed over 3000 people here on 9/11 and declared a "holy war" on America.

But, can you please explain just how America is nationalizing, if you refer to U.S.? And, why didn't bin Laden mind his own business, keep his billions $, spend it on his own country?
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:17 pm
koodles, I don't think there is ANY sin that God does not forgive.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:29 pm
sunlover wrote:
koodles, I don't think there is ANY sin that God does not forgive.

Supposedly, sins against the Holy Spirit (or Holy Spook as he is known in some circles)...are never forgiven.

Ref: Matthew 31:32
Mark 3:29
Luke 12:10
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
As I understand it, the only sin, in Christianity, that cannot be forgiven is the individual's REFUSAL to believe in God. It is the individual's act, not God's, that keeps him out of grace. This is the worst aspect of Christianity, this matter of faith. Christianity focused spiritual virtue away from altruistic intentions and acts (remember, Jesus enjoined us first of all to love one another) to the blind act of "faith." It is as if a cognitive act were a spiritual value, like believing in the Theory of Evolution, or the Theory of Relavity as the way to Heaven. Ghastly that anyone could endorse such a notion, and describe that endorsement as the foundation of their spirituality.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:35 pm
JLNobody wrote:
As I understand it, the only sin, in Christianity, that cannot be forgiven is the individual's REFUSAL to believe in God. It is the individual's act, not God's, that keeps him out of grace. This is the worst aspect of Christianity, this matter of faith. Christianity focused spiritual virtue away from altruistic intentions and acts (remember, Jesus enjoined us first of all to love one another) to the blind act of "faith." It is as if a cognitive act were a spiritual value, like believing in the Theory of Evolution, or the Theory of Relavity as the way to Heaven. Ghastly that anyone could endorse such a notion, and describe that endorsement as the foundation of their spirituality.

No need to do the understand bit on this one, JL. I have given links to the appropriate passages in the New Testament on this issue. It is quite explicit...even if a bit contradictory.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
Frank & JLN, I have just moved and my 8 boxes of books are not going to tell me which one holds the bibles, so I won't know right away what it says in Matthew, Mark and Luke to lead one to think God forgives some sins and not others.

Our sins are forgiven, period. What sort of bible are you reading from? The bible won't stand up and explain itself. There are so many more books written, so many more, that assist us in understanding the bible. There are also books written at the same time the "book of little books" was put together that were not included in this "bible." The bible as we know was also changed in the 13th century to exclude spiritual matters. Some is lost in interpretation.

This topic IS called Religion AND spirituality is it not? Religions lead us to believe religion itself will save us. Ha!

I will return again with bible in hand.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:23 pm
sunlover, seems you do not need to depend on the Bible for your spirituality. My reference to the primacy of faith (over deeds) in Christianity reflects my observations of the words and deeds of fundamentalists I know and read about and watch (in very short bits) on T.V..
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
sunlover wrote:
Fundamentalists and nationalism coming together? Where is that happening, JL? Right now that sounds like those who killed over 3000 people here on 9/11 and declared a "holy war" on America.

But, can you please explain just how America is nationalizing, if you refer to U.S.? And, why didn't bin Laden mind his own business, keep his billions $, spend it on his own country?

It's happening right now in America and is manifested in the Bush administration.

JL is right about nationalism being like another religion. For a long time now, I've heard people talking about good nationalism and bad nationalism like there's a difference. Good nationalists consider the nationalists of other countries they disagree with to be the bad nationalists.

Fundamentalists also claim that they are more moral than other people, and they like to point out amorality. Where have we heard that before? That's a red flag going up. Self-righteous morality is always the justification for attacking the civil rights of other people, which is usually a precursor to violence. Any aggressor first dehumanizes its target to justify its action. The abuse and torture at, first, Guantanamo and then Abu Graib were policies mandated by the Pentagon and indirectly given the nod by Bush himself. Bush has never denounced the use of torture.
0 Replies

koodles4you

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:14 pm
A topic brought up earlier in this forum was a question some where around 'What happens if a man goes out kills people, rapes women, then comes home every night and pray for forgiveness, what happens then?'

That question bothered me alot. Once i figured it out i felt like an idiot for not coming up with it sooner.

God doesn't just hear and prayers and grant them. He sees our heart and our intentions. You can only be forgiven if you have no intention to do it again. If you plan on doing it again, you really aren't sorry anyway.

And the question comes up 'what if the person doesn't want to do it again, but is too weak?' Then i go to Philippians 4:13. "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
So really, no that person is not forgiven.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 04:05 am
koodles4you wrote:
A topic brought up earlier in this forum was a question some where around 'What happens if a man goes out kills people, rapes women, then comes home every night and pray for forgiveness, what happens then?'

That question bothered me alot. Once i figured it out i felt like an idiot for not coming up with it sooner.

God doesn't just hear and prayers and grant them. He sees our heart and our intentions. You can only be forgiven if you have no intention to do it again. If you plan on doing it again, you really aren't sorry anyway.

And the question comes up 'what if the person doesn't want to do it again, but is too weak?' Then i go to Philippians 4:13. "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

And then again...maybe there is no God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 04:34 am
sunlover wrote:
Frank & JLN, I have just moved and my 8 boxes of books are not going to tell me which one holds the bibles, so I won't know right away what it says in Matthew, Mark and Luke to lead one to think God forgives some sins and not others.

Our sins are forgiven, period. What sort of bible are you reading from? The bible won't stand up and explain itself. There are so many more books written, so many more, that assist us in understanding the bible. There are also books written at the same time the "book of little books" was put together that were not included in this "bible." The bible as we know was also changed in the 13th century to exclude spiritual matters. Some is lost in interpretation.

This topic IS called Religion AND spirituality is it not? Religions lead us to believe religion itself will save us. Ha!

I will return again with bible in hand.

Coming to a discussion in the religion section of an Internet forum without a Bible in hand, Sunlover, is like going to a gunfight with a knife...and a dull one at that. :wink:

LUKE 12:10, "And everyone that says a word against the Son of Man, that will be forgiven; But he that blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

MARK 3:29, "Whoever blasphemes against The Holy Spirit will never have forgiveness, but is guilty of everlasting sin."

MATTHEW 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come".
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:25 am
Re: God's Forgiveness
If there is a god, I use the brain and body that it gave me to determine that agnosticism is the truth.

I am a very good person. I am moral, I work hard, I give to charity, I try my best to be a positive force for my friends and family.

If I go to hell because of this, I would be in good company!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 11:27 am
Re: God's Forgiveness
Portal Star wrote:
If there is a god, I use the brain and body that it gave me to determine that agnosticism is the truth.

I am a very good person. I am moral, I give to charity, I try my best to be a positive force for my friends and family.

If I go to hell because of this, I would be in good company!

You da gal!!!! :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Portal Star, if you've described yourself accurately and go to Hell, then you will be suffering but righteous and God will be wrong. This will be so FROM OUR HUMAN PERSPECTIVE. A Christian clerlic might tell us that our human perspective is inadequate and that we cannot grasp God's perspective. If that is so, then how can that Christian cleric presume to talk to us of God's will?
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:28 pm
God's Forgiveness
koodles4you wrote:

Your last sentence says it all: "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

This person cannot stop what he's doing that he considers wrong. But, through God who is within, he can. What this person could do is pray for, ask for, the strength to cease these hidious actions. But, when we ask for something, we have to generate the feeling that we already have what we've asked for, then say, "thank you." In this way anyone is forgiven for anything. The temptation to commit the act will enter this person's mind again and again. People do have to do something for themselves, and seek help. Some must hit bottom before they will seek help.

We are forgiven even before we ask. But, we do have to make amends, admit our wrongs, pay for our wrongs. Nobody needs a bible to read, that is common sense. God forgives all transgressions, as we should forgive those who transgress against us. Regardless of what Matthew, Mark and Luke say. God forgives all sins, regardless of what THE BIBLE SAYS.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:54 pm
Revenge is the Lord's. What a mess we'd all be in if these words weren't true. Obviously that doesn't happen here on earth in this little life. Figure it out for yourself.

My last book to read was "Five People You Meet in Heaven." by Mitch Albom. If Albom figured it out, there's hope for everyone. The truth is we are incredible spiritual beings living in a human experience, only to learn, one lesson after another.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
Sunlover, Ablom's story was on the T.V. the other night--with John Voigt. p.s., I hope your aka does not predict melanoma.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:02 am
sunlover wrote:
Your last sentence says it all: "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

This person cannot stop what he's doing that he considers wrong. But, through God who is within, he can. What this person could do is pray for, ask for, the strength to cease these hidious actions. But, when we ask for something, we have to generate the feeling that we already have what we've asked for, then say, "thank you." In this way anyone is forgiven for anything. The temptation to commit the act will enter this person's mind again and again. People do have to do something for themselves, and seek help. Some must hit bottom before they will seek help.

We are forgiven even before we ask. But, we do have to make amends, admit our wrongs, pay for our wrongs. Nobody needs a bible to read, that is common sense. God forgives all transgressions, as we should forgive those who transgress against us. Regardless of what Matthew, Mark and Luke say. God forgives all sins, regardless of what THE BIBLE SAYS.

Sunlover also wrote:

Quote:
Revenge is the Lord's. What a mess we'd all be in if these words weren't true. Obviously that doesn't happen here on earth in this little life. Figure it out for yourself.

My last book to read was "Five People You Meet in Heaven." by Mitch Albom. If Albom figured it out, there's hope for everyone. The truth is we are incredible spiritual beings living in a human experience, only to learn, one lesson after another.

Then again, Sunlover, maybe there is no god...and all this stuff you are spouting is nothing but superstition gone amok.
0 Replies