izzythepush

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 09:40 am
@Robert Gentel,
I post a lot of you tube vids a youtube facility like quote, img or i would be quite handy. I welcome the block feature, I don't want to have anything to do with those I put on ignore, and if people want to block me, so be it.

It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech or injustice and everything to do with not having to deal with arseholes.
maxdancona

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 09:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
You are convincing me, Robert. Having separate moderated communities is an interesting idea.

I come to Able2know to have interesting, civil, discussions with people who have differing points of view to mine. The exchange of ideas, and the ability to test my ideas against opposing views, is what makes me happy here.

It sounds like the model you propose may be constructive.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 09:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech or injustice and everything to do with not having to deal with arseholes.

This made me chuckle (freedom of speech means having to deal with "arseholes").
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 10:15 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Why don't you just change the screen colour and hope it attracts colour-sensitive drones.
Why don't you listen to your primitive tennants - they'll fix it for you.

We call this 'jobs for the boys'..

Oh Frank, let's have a drink...'
This guy is a prime example of why folk never return here.

ARE YOU BLIND, Robert, Or just desensitised to your own incompetence?

Oh, am I Banned, again, for implying your godliness is negligent?
Do us all a favour - Shut the site - It's ****, and you know it.

Feel better???
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:

It's going to become more powerful, it will be a "block" feature and will not only ignore the user but prevent them from being able to see and respond to your posts.

bad idea. If someone is badmouthing me or my ideas I have a right to see it. The way you plan to rig it you are going to see people putting others on ignore and blasting away, depriving the one being attacked of any recourse. You should not be a participant in injustice.

I'm with Hawk here. I've been put on ignore by a nutcase conspiracy theorist who was tired of having his posts debunked. If you set up ignore so that people can use it to prevent dissent, there could be posts with ridiculous claims that no one is disputing. Would you really want some student pulling up one of these threads in a search with no dissenting opinion?

http://able2know.org/topic/247236-1
http://able2know.org/topic/243518-1
http://able2know.org/topic/245772-1
http://able2know.org/topic/249161-1

It's not that this stuff isn't on the Internet, but when someone puts in on A2K, someone else refutes it. If the OP can block out all other opinions, it ends up showing up as a good link in search engines.
Frank Apisa

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 01:31 pm
http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/404674
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 02:34 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Would you really want some student pulling up one of these threads in a search with no dissenting opinion?

Why do you think it would kill dissent for everyone? If someone blocks dissenting views that is clearly not an academic ideal but ultimately forcing them to see what they refuse to see isn't going to change anything.

What happens when people cannot control the interactions they have is that they go away. Giving people better tools to deal with "assholes" (or better, interactions they do not enjoy) is just not going to magically make the entire community a groupthink bubble. It may (if used excessively) just do so for that one individual (and quite frankly I think they should have the choice to do this even if you don't think they should).

Not being able to block interactions one does not want is a much greater threat to the community than someone failing to be disabused of their fallacious notions, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

But hey, like all such "that will ruin the community" fears my lack of concern largely comes from the knowledge that if it really were to significantly hurt the community then this can be measured and demonstrated, and if so we would obviously change course. I don't think this will make an even perceptible impact on overall community culture but if it hurt the community I'm fine changing it (I'm not against change).
dlowan

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 02:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It's going to become more powerful, it will be a "block" feature and will not only ignore the user but prevent them from being able to see and respond to your posts.

Thank you
0 Replies

panzade

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 02:57 pm
My 2 cents.

I like a2k and enjoy interacting with my friends.

I ignore people that disgust me.

It's not that complicated

I'll look forward to the changes
0 Replies

djjd62

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:02 pm
two things, please stay away from anything that resembles the abortion that is Facebook mobile

and as i mostly only come here to take the piss, will there be urinals?
Foofie

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Max: What you might have hit on is the downside of giving literacy to all types of people. The 19th century tended to keep certain demographics cloistered in their natural habitat, based on limited communications skills, including a command of the language. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:10 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
and as i mostly only come here to take the piss, will there be urinals?
I've always followed the sign for the pissoar ...
http://i64.tinypic.com/vctnvd.jpg
... but a posh urinal would be fine!
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:12 pm
Regarding. . .
Civility: If you can't stand the smell, stay out of the barn.

Thumbs: Instead of posting only the total, include # of ups and # of downs. That will give an indication of how many have opinions one way or the other.

Blocks, Ignore: I don't block anybody and don't intend to. My scroll feature works well enough when needed.

Tags: So long as we can tag our own, I guess it's OK.

Diverse communities: I don't get it.

Trolls: All they need is 'controll'. Sarcasm works.

A2k: IMO, it's leap years better than anything else online.

Ite. Missa est.
bobsal u1553115

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:15 pm
@gungasnake,
Whats your problem with voting?
0 Replies

djjd62

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:15 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

A2k: IMO, it's leap years better than anything else online.

agree, but then i haven't been to any other message board in about 5 years
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What about threads? Will members be blocked from entire threads?

Will someone who is blocked by the person who started a thread be excluded forever from the discussion that is being joined by people who want their opinion?

Will I know who is being excluded from any given thread before I choose to participate in it? If people are being excluded from a thread on a topic.. I might want to start an open thread on the topic rather than participate in a one sided discussion.

neologist

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What about threads? Will members be blocked from entire threads?

Will someone who is blocked by the person who started a thread be excluded forever from the discussion that is being joined by people who want their opinion?

Will I know who is being excluded from any given thread before I choose to participate in it? If people are being excluded from a thread on a topic.. I might want to start an open thread on the topic rather than participate in a one sided discussion.
Good question.
0 Replies

George

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:22 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
. . . Ite. Missa est.
Deo gratias.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 2 Dec, 2015 03:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
What happens when people cannot control the interactions they have is that they go away. Giving people better tools to deal with "assholes" (or better, interactions they do not enjoy) is just not going to magically make the entire community a groupthink bubble. It may (if used excessively) just do so for that one individual (and quite frankly I think they should have the choice to do this even if you don't think they should).

Many of the people who have gone away are the moderate conservatives. These are the people who are being called "assholes". The reason they are being called assholes has nothing to do with their behavior.

The word "asshole" refers to a person who expresses an opinion with which the core group here doesn't approve.

If you look at the most abusive posts here, they are coming from members that are well-liked and popular within the core group. I have seen posts calling a member a "f***in idiot" that is rewarded with many thumbs up. The very goal is to drive away people with dissenting opinions.

Group think is an issue in Able2know and people are leaving because of a core group here is trying to enforce a set of opinions on issues like woman's rights and atheism.

Please consider this while you are designing the new features. Support for a Diversity of opinions is one of the most important facets of a public discussion forum like Able2Know, at least in my opinion.

0 Replies