U.S. Governors Suspend Refugee Relocation in their States

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
The governors can restrict funding for some programs.

Enough volunteers and donors and those limitations won't count for spit.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Baldimo always has a poor attitude towards these things. I don't look to our fellow countrymen and women to be big on wanting to help or volunteer, I just hope federal government can make those states help relocate and help them anyway.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:36 pm
@revelette2,
The people are the country! Or don't you recall the first few parts of the Constitution? We the People in order to form a more perfect union... What you want is for the federal govt to not listen to the people and do what they please. You guys always forget that it is the people who run this country, and the Constitution was put in place to limit the govt, not the people. What you want is a tyranny of the federal govt over what the people of the US want. Force the states to do what the Feds want. This is normal for the Obama admin and the left since he was elected. Screw the people who pay for everything, we will do what we want and make you pay for it...

Call it a poor attitude all you want, I'm concerned for my country. Unless they can vet every person that they bring in, which the head of the FBI has already said we don't have a process for, then we shouldn't bring them in.

Quote:
FBI Director James Comey famously admitted last month that the U.S. government has no real way to conduct background checks on refugees. “We can only query against that which we have collected. And so if someone has never made a ripple in the pond in Syria in a way that would get their identity or their interest reflected in our database, we can query our database until the cows come home, but there will be nothing show up because we have no record of them,” Comey explained, quite sensibly.
revelette2

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:44 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
With more than two dozen governors objecting to a federal government plan to accept Syrian refugees, a spotlight has been placed on how the Constitution deals with these matters.

In the long run, Congress might have a bigger say in a federal policy decision that could see as many as 10,000 Syrian refugees accepted into the United States in the coming year. State leaders, such as governors, and state legislatures have far fewer options.

In general terms, the Constitutional power for the federal government, and not the states, to control immigration policies and laws comes from interpretations of Article 1, Section 8, Clauses 3 and 4, of the Constitution. A Supreme Court decision from 1941, Hines v. Davidowitz, explained the logic behind this, which involves conflicts between federal and state jurisdiction.

In 1939, Pennsylvania established its own alien registration act, which required non-citizens to pay a fee to register within the state, show a state ID card to police at all times, and present the same card to qualify to register to drive a car. At the same time, a federal alien registration act existed.

Justice Hugo Black, writing for the majority, struck down the Pennsylvania law. “That the supremacy of the national power in the general field of foreign affairs, including power over immigration, naturalization and deportation, is made clear by the Constitution was pointed out by authors of The Federalist in 1787,9 and has since been given continuous recognition by this Court,” Black said. “The power to restrict, limit, regulate, and register aliens as a distinct group is not an equal and continuously existing concurrent power of state and nation, but that whatever power a state may have is subordinate to supreme national law.”

“Our primary function is to determine whether, under the circumstances of this particular case, Pennsylvania’s law stands as an obstacle to the accomplishment and execution of the full purposes and objectives of Congress,” said Black.

In the minority opinion, Justice Harlan Fiske Stone disagreed, saying the federal and state laws differed, even though they had the same general subject. “The national government has exclusive control over the admission of aliens into the United States, but after entry, an alien resident within a state, like a citizen, is subject to the police powers of the state and, in the exercise of that power, state legislatures may pass laws applicable exclusively to aliens so long as the distinction taken between aliens and citizens is not shown to be without rational basis,” he argued.

In 1980, Congress passed and the President signed the Refugee Act, which added details to earlier immigration acts that outlined a protocol for accepting refugees. The Act said the Department of Health and Human Services “shall consult regularly (not less often than quarterly) with State and local governments and private nonprofit voluntary agencies concerning the sponsorship process and the intended distribution of refugees among the States and localities before their placement in those States and localities.”

In theory, the states could refuse to participate in these efforts to place refugees in their communities, and pose other barriers, such as blocking refugees from getting drivers’ licenses or access to some state services. But multiple legal experts who have commented publicly on the question see these efforts as limited and problematic.

“The one thing I feel very comfortable saying is there is absolutely no constitutional power for a state to exclude anyone from its territories,” Stephen Legomsky, a Washington University of St. Louis law professor, told USA Today on Monday.

Another problem for the states is that much of the relocation funding they control originates with the federal government.

Florida Governor Rick Scott is opposed to having Syrian refugees in Florida under the current system. But he has acknowledged that state leaders are limited in how they can handle Syrian refugees, and that it would be up to Congress to act in some fashion.

“Please take any action available through the powers of the United States Congress to prevent federal allocations toward the relocation of Syrian refugees without extensive examination into how this would affect our homeland security,” Scott said in a public letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan.

Speaker Ryan and Republican congressional leaders could attempt to tie funding for these refugee aid programs to an upcoming appropriations bill that needs to be passed by December 11, to avoid a government shutdown.

But on Tuesday, Ryan and GOP leaders said they wanted to fast track a bill to stop Syrian refugee efforts for now and come up with a new plan to figure out if some refugees pose security threats.

source

Facts sucks, huh?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:46 pm
They are finding passports of dead Syrians in the ISIS raids in France. That's a bit troubling with so many Syrian refugees to process. Reason enough for a pause while still treating the refugees humanely IMO.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:46 pm
@Baldimo,
If the Federal government gives someone person in... how would individual states keep them out?

A state can't decide to keep people from crossing internal borders.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
A state can't decide to keep people from crossing internal borders.

This is the very reason these people should be very well vetted. Once they are here, they can go anywhere and that includes any terrorists that would slip through our none exist vetting process.

Quote:
If the Federal government gives someone person in... how would individual states keep them out?

With a majority of states refusing to accept them, the Feds should rethink their plans. If the states refuse, will Obama send in the FBI to remove those governors? How do you think that would turn out?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:52 pm
@revelette2,
What I'm seeing on my alternate FB page suggests that groups are already in action in the US preparing for the refugees - and making a stink to the governors of some states about their statements.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
and making a stink to the governors of some states about their statements.

This is taking place here in my state. Our Governor was one of the first to raise his hand for this bad idea. Groups here in CO are moving against the Looper to pressure him into not taking refugees. I hope a majority are against him and he listens to the people he represents. I'm guessing that he won't listen as it appears he is on the short list to be VP for Hillary Clinton.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:09 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
This is the very reason these people should be very well vetted. Once they are here, they can go anywhere and that includes any terrorists that would slip through our none exist vetting process.

Syrian refugees should be vetted the same as gun owners (although I think statistically gun owners are far more dangerous to us).
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:11 pm
@Baldimo,
I really don't understand how people calling themselves Christians can be trying to keep out the refugees. Have they even opened a Bible?
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Silly comparison. Rejected!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:19 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not a Christian. Although it is funny how those on the left want religion used and how you don't want it used. I'm not sure what the Bible has to say about the security of the US as it pertains to taking in refugees. I'm surprised more ME countries are not taking more of these people.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Hmmm, a point in her favor, from the bits I know about him.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:11 pm
@Baldimo,
The issue is hypocrisy. If someone claims to be a Christian, and then violates basic Christian teachings, then they are a hypocrite.

Here is what Jesus says about Ted Cruz.

Matthew 25:41-43 wrote:
‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

If you want, read the whole passage in context. Jesus in the Bible was not very kind to hypocrites.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:14 pm
@maxdancona,
although, in fairness, the modern translation is

"I was thirsty, and the coffee cup you gave me didn't have a f***ing Christmas tree."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:25 pm
@maxdancona,
This doesn't address the safety and security of the US population. The Bible didn't have to deal with terrorists at the door step as we very well could be dealing with when inviting in Syrian refugees. Unless they are properly vetted then the safety of the American people could be in jeopardy and from the sounds of things we do not have a secure vetting process.

Will these refugees have to leave the US once the problems in Syria are gone, or will they be staying for life and at the expense of the US taxpayer?
revelette2

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I hope so, it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:27 pm
@Baldimo,
If you were actually interested in the subject, you'd already know that Americans are at most danger from other Americans.

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
That would depend on what segment of the US population you were referring to. I'm sure since this subject has came out, that the anti-gun people have been on the offensive with more of their BS stats. I'm interested to see where you found this bit of info...
0 Replies