The A2K Fantasy Olympics Prediction Game

Thok

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:02 pm
Anyway, i want to defend place 10. :-)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:52 pm
(checked) RESULTS AFTER 14 DAYS OF COMPETITION -with a little help of douglashuang's better spreadsheet- , with all the re-assigned medals so far, and counting the bronze medallists for boxing (those medals are already in the official Athens 2004 site medalboard):

1. markr - 890 points
2. douglashuang - 886 points
3. MOU - 797 points
4. fbaezer - 748 points
5. Laeknir Scrat - 705 points
6. pnut - 673 points
7. ossobuco - 633 points
8. Craven de Kere - 621 points
9. Patada Veloz - 598 points
10. Thok - 541 points
11. jabs - 500 points

We've got a new leader
markr is now edging douglashuang, thanks to New Zealand's and Sweden's performances today.

MOU has almost grabbed the bronze medal (the same thing thought the Chinese race walker after 49.5 Km. of the 50 Km. event).

Osso was briefly surpassed by CDK during the day, but regained her spot and put some distance.

Thok -helped by his beloved German team- holds fiercely to his 10th spot.
0 Replies

douglashuang

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:21 pm
Optimum Pick ............... 966
Group A: China (199), USA Men (163)
Group B: Australia (134), Japan (115), France (82)
Group C: Hungary (54), Spain (47), Canada (27), Belarus (26), Poland (25)
Group D: New Zealand (21), Turkey (20), Slovakia (18), Austria (18), Chinese Taipei (17)

I've been worrying about markr. It looks like he will win the fantasy games unless Belarus, Georgia, or Algeria can pull out multiple miracles in the next couple of days. (Algeria, I am counting on you! :wink: ).

Despite the setback in the game today, I am happy because Liu Xiang won the first men's gold medal for China in Athletics. The only other time a Chinese man won an Olympic medal in track was twenty years ago, when high jumper Zhu Jianhua took the bronze. (Chinese women have done far better.)

Liu, a bus driver's son, is revered in China but has had to travel extensively abroad to find worthy competition internationally for his training sessions.

Just as Mr. Liu said, "This result changes the opinion that Asian countries don't get good results in sprint races. I want to prove to all the world that Asians can run very fast." He also said that "my victory has proved that athletes with yellow skin can run as fast as those with black and white skin."

Being a Chinese, I am inspired. I vow to continue running until I qualify for the Boston Marathon, even though my marathon training was marked as "a sadistic endeavor". (I've run two marathons so far this year and my next one will be on Oct. 10, in Chicago.)
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:48 pm
One gold medal and you're back in the lead. I'm not counting my chickens - the fat lady hasn't sung yet.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:59 pm
The Newcomers to a2k will be win the game. ;-)

already now: Congrats
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:36 am
I think douglashuang is going to win. From what I can tell, Belarus has two boxers fighting for gold. That's a minimum of six points for him. I think Georgia still has a wrestler who may win a medal.

My hopes seem to rest on the shoulders of the Nigerian men's relay teams.

One way or another, it will be close...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 06:19 pm
(checked) RESULTS AFTER 15 DAYS OF COMPETITION -with a little help of douglashuang's better spreadsheet- , with all the re-assigned medals so far, and counting the bronze medallists for boxing (those medals are already in the official Athens 2004 site medalboard):

1. markr - 1011 points
2. douglashuang - 1009 points
3. MOU - 897 points
4. fbaezer - 855 points
5. Laeknir Scrat - 808 points
6. pnut - 750 points
7. ossobuco - 737 points
8. Craven de Kere - 716 points
9. Patada Veloz - 709 points
10. Thok - 632 points
11. jabs - 561 points

One day to go and only two points separate the leaders.
Nigeria did give 2 points to Doug.
Had it been a silver instead of a bronze, we'd be speaking of a tie.
MOU is about to clinch the bronze.
Patada Veloz is closing hard on Craven.
Thok is saved from finishing last.
0 Replies

douglashuang

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:19 pm
Optimum Pick ............... 1081
Group A: China (220), USA Men (191)
Group B: Australia (149), Japan (116), France (91)
Group C: Hungary (64), Spain (53), Canada (36), Belarus (30), Brazil/Norway/Poland (26)
Group D: Turkey (24), Austria (23), New Zealand (21), Thailand (19), Slovakia (18)

markr has achieved 93.52% of the perfect score!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:39 pm
fbaezer wrote:

Thok is saved from finishing last.

Yes,that's good. :-)
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
Congratulations douglashuang!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:40 pm
FINAL RESULTS

THIS WAS FREAKING UNBELEIVABLY CLOSE

1 douglashuang - 1040 points
2. markr - 1037 points
3. MOU - 918 points
4. fbaezer - 917 points
5. Laeknir Scrat - 841 points
6. ossobuco - 776 points
6. pnut - 769 points
8. Craven de Kere - 767 points
9. Patada Veloz - 760 points
10. Thok - 651 points
11. jabs - 594 points

I ask all players to verify their results.

There were several last minute changes due to medallists stripped for doping, so I'll give a 24 hours before virtual medals are granted, in a virtual ceremony.

Really exciting.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
I verify it. 10 place, relative good :-)

The game was exciting and I'm sure: We all wait for the virtual ceremony.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:29 pm
I'd like to file a protest. I think douglashuang was using performance enhancing drugs. Ship the duplicate gold medal to markr. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
I protest, perhaps. For now, I beat out the quiet pnut for 6th (we are both marked 6th), me me me me, I say, wiping sweat from upper lip. Laughing On the other hand, things may change by tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:10 pm
Fbaezer, missing bronze by one! Oh, the heartbreak..

Tell us, then, in your own words, how you really FEEL about that.. as we talk here overlooking the hotel bar..
0 Replies

Patada Veloz

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:32 pm
I didn't want the 9th. place, but anyway... This virtual tournament was very exciting, too bad that the Olympics ended. I can't believe how close the "top pack" were, and the fight for the third place also went very close (And I think that fbaezr is waiting for some last minute change in order to obtain the virtual bronze!).
Regarding the national teams performance I got a little bit disappointed with Russia and Cuba, but in Beijing we will surely see a closer race between USA and China for the top spot! (It was kinda boring knowing beforehand that USA would take home the first overall place).
0 Replies

douglashuang

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 01:28 am
I just got back from work. I can't believe that I edged out markr. I'd been thinking about this contest all day at work. Wow, what an exciting game! And the best part, I won! (well, at least for now.)

Looking back, it was really stupid to pick Algeria over Austria or New Zealand. I picked it because of its Sydney performance and because of its larger population. Stupid, but I am also lucky.

Thanks everybody, especially for fbaezer and the brilliant idea, for making this Olympic experience extra exciting!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
tap... tap... tap...

still waiting for some judge to overrule the women's 400 mts. race Wink
It's unforgivable, MOU, I picked Croatia, and you picked the Bahamas! You were supposed to bring bad luck!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
The two keys of the game were Australia and China. It's a combination chosen by the first four. The first six chose Australia.
Not chosing a full country in Group A paid terribly for jabs.

My biggest mistake -besides the one driven by nationalism- was to choose US women instead of US men. I just happen to like them better and admire them more, I guess.

The host nation factor was not that relevant, this time. But Australia -like South Korea and Spain before her- only got momentum from being host. It seems Greece will not -like Mexico or Canada did not.

For 2008, China should be divided in men and women. I believe China will win in those games.
Australia has earned, beyond doubt, a spot in group A.

Greece has to be demoted again, to group C. While Hungary and Spain should go to group B (but the Hungarians should work better with their doping detection system Twisted Evil ).

Switzerlard, Indonesia, Jamaica and Mexico Crying or Very sad are demoted to group D, while Turkey, Slovakia, Iran, Thailand; Austria, South Africa and Argentina have made group C.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 11:17 am
Reunion in 4 years or 2? The up coming winter games?
0 Replies