Are We Ready For a Woman President? Really?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:13 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Interesting. So if one third of the population are independents and she automatically loses 11% of that, she is down 3.4% or so.

With that logic... against one of the Hispanic candidates, she is up (i.e. advantaged) by about 2%. Against Bernie Sanders she has what... about a 45% advantage?

Hillary is privileged.
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:13 pm
@maxdancona,
..not to mention she's a former Secretary of State for 4 yrs and a US Senator from NY state for 8 yrs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Except that a whole lot of people hate her or have distaste for her, including some of us signed up as democrats. That is not quite privilege. I don't dislike her enough to not vote for her in the general election (a push), but I'm not engaged pro her.

Which is a potential problem, as I'm not the only democrat that is fed up with her. Energy will fizz.

On the other hand, my not being a data reader every day, I take it that latinos and blacks are pretty ok with her.

I think Biden matters.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
This sort of reminds me of the fifties, when I first watched conventions as a child.
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
why does it remind you of the '50s conventions?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Except that a whole lot of people hate her or have distaste for her, including some of us signed up as democrats. That is not quite privilege. I don't dislike her enough to not vote for her in the general election (a push), but I'm not engaged pro her.

Which is a potential problem, as I'm not the only democrat that is fed up with her. Energy will fizz.

Sure Osso. My distaste for Hillary Clinton has to do with the fact that she is a Clinton with many of the same problems the last Clinton had. This has nothing to do with whether we are ready for a woman president or not.

I suspect you are ready for a woman president Osso... even though you don't think Hillary Clinton is a great candidate. Am I right?

glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Glitterbag,

There have been rather unflattering comments made about Donald Trump's hair. Have these comments bothered you? I wonder if you have a double standard here.

I'm unsure what you want to hear. Well, not entirely unsure, you already assume I have a double standard. That's because you have pre-conceived notions regarding me. I suspect its because I'm direct, I'm not very talented in the passive aggressive department. If you ask me what I think, I'll tell you. I can't swear to this, but I don't think I've made Trumps hair an issue. But the topic is misogyny not GQ. I mentioned the nutcracker and the degrogatory comments about women, because I find it ugly and it angers me. I don't like it even if it is directed to women I don't like. Such insulting hooha identifies the one making that remark as a mini-mind. I have no respect for male or females who take cheap shots, they are mini-minds.

If you want start a thread about how Donald Trump is being unfairly judged by his hair, his weight or his barely articulate speaking skills, be my guest.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Why do we have to 'be ready' to finally accept a woman in the White House? I will be so freaking happy when the buzz is no longer 'he or she is the first woman, latino, asian, african american' to hold a position, that for some reason is not note worthy if it is held by a white man. I'm a white woman married to a white man, I'm not anti-white, I'm pro having the best person in the job. Male, female, black, white, asian or green. Are we ever going to get sober in this country?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:07 pm
@Ragman,
I'll have to look all of that up to explain.

In the meantime, I make associations. The conventions could be quite dramatic. I was a child then.

My father and mother differed..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes, of course.
urg, I may have to wink.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I thought maybe about the possibility you meant the Democratic debates?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:17 pm
@Ragman,
I meant what I remember (remember I was a kid) of the conventions, lots of sass and other stuff.
I'm just talking about that.

Democratic debates, good grief.
Sounds early to me.
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:20 pm
@ossobuco,
They're on July 26-28 in Philly
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:24 pm
@Ragman,
July next year? Give me a break..

Although I suppose this stuff needs organizing.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:34 pm
@Ragman,
Have you ever watched conventions in the fifties? I haven't since the fifties, but I remember.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:40 pm
@Ragman,
The first Democratic debate is next week

http://able2know.org/topic/295878-1#post-6042063
snood

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The first Democratic debate is next week

http://able2know.org/topic/295878-1#post-6042063

I've started a thread about the upcoming debates
http://able2know.org/topic/295878-1
Everyone's welcome - in fact, please comment - so far only mostly bottom dwellers have showed up Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 07:52 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Everyone's welcome - in fact, please comment - so far only mostly bottom dwellers have showed up

you always were full of yourself.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 08:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Everyone's welcome - in fact, please comment - so far only mostly bottom dwellers have showed up

you always were full of yourself.

And I bet you don't see the hypocrisy, being such a humble person yourself.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 08:48 pm
@glitterbag,
My parents and I lived in Iceland where my dad was an air traffic controller. My parents were avid news consumers, I don't remember the conventions because I may have been too young and I don't know why but I remember Sen McCarthy and his alcohol fueled witch hunts.
0 Replies