Are We Ready For a Woman President? Really?

glitterbag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Well damn, I didn't know we were going to go all 18th Century English lit. Give me a minute to adjust.
Ahhh hem (Noisy sounds of throat clearing). Well I wish you would eschew the ponderous and bloated style of communication while you think you skip the strictures of the oppressive newspeak. Thank God and the Sisters of Notre dame de Namur for insisting on a broad vocabulary or else I might have blurted out 'God bless you' after your eschew.

I have no objection to your notions of lighthearted fun, and I'm sure those ball buster gals just adore you, after all, who wouldn't. I'm sure you are delighted by the nicknames they use to describe you, how bad could it be.

I don't disapprove of you, I'm a little shocked an old sailor would be so easily offended. But then again, your disapproval doesn't change anything, I express myself as I see fit. Yea verily, forsooth.....pardon the redundancy
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag, I'd like to input a bit of balance about George O'B here, because I have met him, and think he's really an good guy that I call friend. When we had a a2k meet in San Francisco, he invited the group to the St Francis Yacht Club to have our meal and some drinks. The ambiance was picture perfect with the Golden Gate Bridge on one side, and Alcatraz Island on the other.
This scenery sort of reflects what our life is; we have beauty on one side, and the dark side of humanity on the other.
I think we all share a bit of each with varying degrees. I think George fits closer to the Golden Gate Bridge, but that's my personal opinion.
BTW, I also don't always agree with George on many subjects. But I also don't agree with my siblings on many subjects including religion and politics.
I'm a CANCER; the sensitive sort.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:20 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey, I went to Notre Dame Academy back in the day. Different order of Notre Dame nuns though. (That's a story for another day, wish I went to Immaculate Heart high school instead. I had no choice, relatives got me on the list just before we moved there.)

Ok, now, carry on...
georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:53 am
@glitterbag,
You also mistake the light hearted quality of my response to you, I deliberately chose some arcane words to suggest that: perhaps my choices failed. Life is filled with irony and contradictions. I have lived and worked in several very different environments but everytime discovered them wherever I looked. Wisdom and happiness require that we don't take ourselves and our opinions too seriously , while, at the same time remaining alert for the occasional issue we must face directly.

The two female construction supervisors to which I referred are fine employees and I believe they know very well that I value their work. On more that one occasion I have had to deal with an angry subcontractor who was chafing at their sometimes hard nosed management. I check the facts and then usually just tell the sub that I trust my supervisors and if they want to get paid they will have to please them. Once that is done the issues tend to disappear. On a couple of occasions its likely that my folks have been a bit demanding, but finding nothing of significance that is objectively wrong I back them up. We joke about it occasionally, and to some extent I am delivering a message to them with it. That's how leadership works, and I have learned to be fairly good at it.

A couple of their male counterparts, with similar qualities are known as "tough SOBs", and no one objects. That appelation doesn't appear to fit women, though I suppose I could say DOB - if anyone would understand.

The world we live in is increasingly becoming very intolerant of even minor violations of an increasingly silly code of superficial behaviors, even including word choice in describing people and events. History shows us that there are indeed ages and places in which insane and obsessive levels of intolerance arise - the Chinese "cultural revolution" of a few decades ago is an example: history provides many others. There is a great deal of that nonsense afoot in our country today.

I thank my friend Cicerone for his kind words. He too has a well developed sense of humor and irony though for him and all the rest of us - me too- it's hard for those qualities to come through with only the written word on forums such as this.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:25 am
@glitterbag,
I should add that some of the humor and irony to which I was referring is readily detectable in your posts as well, and I gladly acknowledge them.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:33 am
@ossobuco,
I don't like Hillary either but please vote for her...don't make me buy a ticket to Mars please. Trump its a no go, he needs to be stoped pronto. With the prospect of a Trump presidency one tends to miss Bush by comparison...
georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:42 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Hey, I went to Notre Dame Academy back in the day. Different order of Notre Dame nuns though. (That's a story for another day, wish I went to Immaculate Heart high school instead. I had no choice, relatives got me on the list just before we moved there.

Which one? What city? Baltimore ? I used to serve mass at Immaculata, a girls boarding school on Tenley Circle NW Washington DC, across the street from my parish grade school. The nuns wold give me a lavish breakfast after Mass, but that soon changed after they noticed some silent interaction with the girls at the communion rail (actually the girls initiated it - though I was not above using the patton I was holding to get their attention ). After a few weeks they got another altar boy. (I wonder what happened to him).
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 01:43 pm
@georgeob1,
Do you mean the paten you were holding? (It took me a while to find what you meant, Patton was a US general from WWII).
georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes I do. It's been a while since I held one.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 06:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

The term describes a characteristic of some women. You are posing a nonsensical question. But you knew that.

The term is an anachronism from a 'mad men' era of male chauvinists and still used by clueless misogynists like you. But you probably can't understand that.

Well significant vestiges of the era still exist, despite the best efforts of all the spineless PPCPs out there ( = perfectly politically correct persons .. - I call them PPs for short ) such, perhaps, as yourself.

I'm no misogynist and not any of Hillary's ....phobes either. However, I still think for - and take care of - myself and family. As a result I would probably fit in her basket of deplorables, but considering the source, that is a compliment.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 07:38 pm
In construction work I have met a few women out of several bosses who felt like they had to be junk yard dogs to hold their own. I don't know their histories and I am not judging. It's just a fact of life in some circles. Most of my women bosses in the apartment industry have been the salt of the earth. I still visit some of them a few years after retiring.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry CI but I can only judge George by this forum. And in my opinion he talks down to everyone here but the conservatives. He is a typical if you dont think as I do your a stupid bastard conservative.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:07 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

snood wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

The term describes a characteristic of some women. You are posing a nonsensical question. But you knew that.

The term is an anachronism from a 'mad men' era of male chauvinists and still used by clueless misogynists like you. But you probably can't understand that.

Well significant vestiges of the era still exist, despite the best efforts of all the spineless PPCPs out there ( = perfectly politically correct persons .. - I call them PPs for short ) such, perhaps, as yourself.

I'm no misogynist and not any of Hillary's ....phobes either. However, I still think for - and take care of - myself and family. As a result I would probably fit in her basket of deplorables, but considering the source, that is a compliment.

Yeah, you're no racist, homophobe, xenophobe or misogynist. And everyone in prison is innocent.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:11 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Not to worry, I already voted for her in the Primary and will for the General Election.

I agree re tending to miss Bush by comparison.. not that I miss Bush, don't get me started, but I'm in horror re Trump.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:40 pm
@RABEL222,
You are welcome to your opinion - about anyone. I share my opinions on a2k, and they're not always looked upon favorably, but that's okay.
I'm here to learn and to be entertained, and it always fulfills those needs. I read all your posts that I come across, and agree with most of your opinions.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 08:45 pm
@georgeob1,
I remember great breakfasts after first Friday, and wonderful lunches, in retrospect, but that was at St. Nick's grammar school in Evanston, Illinois.
After eighth grade, we moved back to Los Angeles, where both my parents were old timers (film business). Immaculate Heart was progressive for its time, with some sort of challenges to olden ways. That was in '55 - 59 and later.
Notre Dame nuns (girls' school, boys' was in the Valley if I remember), were in a very strict order. I was taught it was a mortal sin to have pleasure in the marriage 'act' even when you were married.

On Washington, DC, we lived there for I'm not sure how many months, in Arlington, when my dad brought film from the Bikini bomb tests back on the Enola Gay. I was nearing age six, so was unaware of a lot. I liked that time there. Some drugstore - I think in Fairfax - had wonderful coloring books.

I'm not into religion now, but I respect others', well, a lot of the time.

Re people we both know - I've met Tak several times, and Bernie Latham lots of times, both of them in a couple of different states, and Calamity Jane (whose name I know but I don't see on A2K so won't say), back in California.

A bit of a small world.
On your post, I'm grinning about the girls.

Edit - I know we both knew Bob and Diane.. Diane and I are close friends these days.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2016 09:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I should add that I'm one of the vile PC people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 10:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Trump is a showman and a fraud. He admitted today that Obama was born in the US after promoting his hotel with more words. He thinks admitting Obama's birthplace after all these years, the subject has ended shows how shallow he is.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 10:09 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In construction work I have met a few women out of several bosses who felt like they had to be junk yard dogs to hold their own. I don't know their histories and I am not judging. It's just a fact of life in some circles. Most of my women bosses in the apartment industry have been the salt of the earth. I still visit some of them a few years after retiring.

I think both of your observations apply to the two I was discussing. I didn't expect the PC firestorm that resulted: I was just commenting on two powerful characters I deal with on a regulat basis.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 11:56 am
@georgeob1,
They still argue with you. They don't give a crap what I think anymore. Smile