Are We Ready For a Woman President? Really?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 05:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Actually, his wife beats up on him.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 05:41 pm
I would like to zero this thread, but I respect Snood.
snood

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 07:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I would like to zero this thread, but I respect Snood.

I appreciate that, but it has pretty much run its course.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 07:12 pm
@snood,
OK, cooked.

not cooked, I re-looked at the opening posts.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 01:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI is correct.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:15 pm
@RABEL222,
You know, when I go to Kaiser hospital, they ask me in private whether my wife beats on me. I guess it's more common than we think.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Standard procedure in every hospital I've been in in the last 5-10 yr (including Veteran's Hospitals) ask that same sort of question (do you feel safe in your home, etc.). They look at me sideways when I say that it sounds pretty exciting and it might spice things up in the bedroom.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:49 pm
@Ragman,
LOL
glitterbag

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I get asked that question as well, but they ask in front of my husband. Of course he doesn't mistreat me, but if someone is being roughed up....do they think they would say so in front of someone they fear. I am happy to hear they are asking men as well, it might not be a wife that is mistreating them, it could be adult children or hired home care aides....there are a lot of opportunists willing to divest you of your money and property.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 02:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You guys must go to better hospitals than me. When they ask the abuse question they always ask it of my wife.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 02:21 pm
@glitterbag,
That's true; the perpetrator can be anyone who has access to their home/residence.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 02:34 pm
@Ragman,
I've not been asked that and I've had a variety of doctor visits and eye operations in the last batch of years. I have been asked, once, if I've ever been depressed, to which I answered, not clinically. I've gotten to be quite homely in my old age (mainly re the bad eye) but I don't think I'm read as someone who is beaten up - re my demeanor and my verbal mode. I guess doctors vary on this, asking or not. I think it's a good idea, whatever the patient's gender.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:29 pm
@maxdancona,
and that´s not a personal attack?????
momoends

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:42 pm
@maxdancona,
facts? list those facts, please
My facts: women were not allowed to vote for years
women´s money was controlled by their husbands for years
women were banned for applying several jobs because they were seen as uncapable for just because of their gender
women are sold on several countries nowadays.....

those are facts
momoends

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 11:53 pm
@maxdancona,
equality is not a political ideology
glitterbag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 12:15 am
@momoends,
American women did not get the right to vote until 1920. Women did not serve on juries in all 50 states until 1973. I don't even want to get started on when women were allowed to be in the Military while married, or when they were no longer discharged because they had a baby. And forget about women being accepted into the Military technical fields, that took longer.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 07:59 am
@momoends,
momoends wrote:

and that´s not a personal attack?????

Actually, this is an American cliche. Any English speaker would know what I was referring to.

Type the phrase "when did you stop beating your wife" if you want to learn about this English idiom.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 08:02 am
@momoends,
I have no problem with your facts.

- women were not allowed to vote for years
- women´s money was controlled by their husbands for years
- women were banned for applying several jobs because they were seen as uncapable for just because of their gender
- women are sold on several countries nowadays.....

These are all absolutely true. I have no problem with saying so.

One side ideological narratives are based on one-sided facts. You can accept and trumpet the facts that support your narrative and ignore any facts that question or dispute it. You can support any ideological narrative that way. But, it isn't intellectually honest.

Intellectual honesty means looking at all of the facts whether they support your narrative or not. When you do that you will find that reality is too complex to fit into a single ideological narrative. And that is my point.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:11 am
@glitterbag,
Well they have girl fighter pilots on carriers now. I sometimes find that a bit hard to visualize, but it appears to work.

I grew up in an all male world for many years. Catholic boys schools, the Naval Academy and in Naval Aviation in the bad old days Glitterbag was referering to. Now in my 2nd career I have females working for me in many areas, engineers, geologists, chemists, marketers, etc. There are differences indeed, but I've found that the differences among individuals of either sex are far greater and count for much more than the average difference between the groups ( although the females are generally more pleasant to look at). Indeed after a while individual abilities and qualities trump everything else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:15 am
@georgeob1,
Women should be able to do anything a man can if they are qualified. I was the first Audit Manager at Florsheim Shoe to hire women auditors.