Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You really are stupid, you can't even get the name right. Your use of words tells a great about you, nanny state is a derogatory term to belittle the advances made by the Labour government, the NHS, decent social security. Those were hard won, we took them in 1945.

Your government pays more per capita in health care than ours, and you still don't have UHC. You have to shell out to an insurance company on top of that, because you let big business, healthcare, insurance tell you what to do. You grin like **** when your education budget is slashed because you think it's an attack on the elite. You've been licking the rich man's arse for so long you actually think it's your choice.

After Dunblane the people demanded sane gun laws, and the people, not the state, or the gun lobby, and the government did what it was elected to do. So what if the Olympic team has to practice overseas, nobody gives a ****.

I use nanny state for two reason's. First, it is in fact a derogatory word. Fittingly so actually. Meant to belay that people like you are so used to having your lives regulated and regimented that you have no longer the mindset of what freedom actually is. It's bred into your genes from centuries of living under a monarchy. I can understand your fear of freedom, if I lived under the thumb and boot of some over bearing government I too might be afraid of guns like you are.
Secondly, used to impress upon you that your govt has you under such tight control that the people in England wouldn't have the first clue what to do with actual freedom. The govt is your nanny from birth to death. No sense of self can be found among the English populace anymore. Drowned out under the night at the pub watching the football match. The mere fact that something like Trafalgar square exists should tell you how limited your freedom is.

The people in America have not demanded a gun ban and never will. So, get over it. Go get a new pair of panties and have a pint and quit worrying about what we do over here. I am sure someone from the House of Lords will tell you when and where you can do your thing eventually. Until then, go enjoy whatever it is that you think you are free to do.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:28 pm
@McGentrix,
You don't speak for all Americans, you recognize that, right?
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Churchill is said to had stated after he make his famous radio speak that England would fight the Germans for every foot of England then turn off mike and said we will throw beer cans at them.

Thank to your disarming your people in 1937 the Homeguard members was breaking into museums for arms.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:30 pm
@BillRM,
No, it isn't a given on it's face. It is a made up statistic. Find me a single statistic showing how many people died driving to a movie theater.

Let's examine your attempt to make a claim. Yes, we can agree there are 30,000 deaths driving. We can also agree that over 3.03 trillion miles are driven in the US.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=us+auto+miles+driven+per+year
Now we need to figure out how many miles of that is spent driving to movie theaters. The number of movie tickets sold in the US is 1.27 billion or on average about 4 per person per year.
http://www.the-numbers.com/market/.
25% of moviegoers are under 17.
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2012-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-Report.pdf

Let's for the sake of argument assume 4 people per car trip to the theater and a distance of 10 miles to travel. (Some people walk and some cars have fewer people.) That leaves us with about 31 people might be killed driving to or from the movies based on nothing but mileage. It ignores that most deaths are caused by speed or alcohol impaired driving. . It ignores that most deaths occur on major highways. That leaves us with a handful of deaths traveling to movie theaters. It could well be less than a dozen.

While it is easy to argue there aren't a lot of mass killings at movie theaters, we can't ignore that killings that don't involve mass attacks also happen at movie theaters. I can find 5 gun deaths at movie theaters this year with a quick Google search.

Of course, if we want to play the game of deaths vs location, one would expect with 30,000 gun deaths that a number of them happen at movie theaters. Why would I need evidence?

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 05:23 pm
@parados,
You got to be kidding me as once more fast google search have no trouble finding people being killed on the ways to or from movies.

Lot more common then some nut with a gun killing people in a theater.

Quote:

http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Send-Off-For-Jackson-Couple-Killed-in-Crash-320448222.html

Bryan Carnaggio
[email protected]
Story Created: Aug 2, 2015 at 10:24 PM CDT
Story Updated: Aug 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM CDT

JACKSON, Tenn. -- An emotional celebration of life took place Sunday afternoon for Julie and Jay Hogan, the Jackson couple killed in a two-car crash after family and friends said they were leaving the movie theater Thursday night.

Quote:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-05-13/news/0305130261_1_family-members-tree-drag-racing-accident

Students in two suburban high schools mourned three classmates Monday with flowers, tributes and tears after a fiery fatal crash over the weekend.

"Anytime we lose students it hits the school hard," said Kathy Birkett, principal at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville, where 16-year-olds Diana Panczyk and Anthony Jacobson were sophomores. "It's the saddest thing, it's the toughest thing we have to deal with. My heart goes out to their families."

Police said Panczyk lost control of her 1995 Pontiac Firebird while driving north over the crest of a hill on High Road in unincorporated Lockport Friday. The car veered off the road and hit a tree, then burst into flames. Passersby were able to save one passenger, Daniel Wasilewski, 15, of Lockport, but David Opel II of Lockport, 14, and Panczyk and Jacobson died.

Wasilewski was airlifted to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, where officials said they could not release his condition Monday.

"I died Friday," said Panczyk's father, Daniel, choking back tears. "I don't know what else to say."

Family members said the teens were driving to a movie theater when the accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m.

Reddit
Quote:
JERSEY CITY -- The man charged with killing a Union City man while driving recklessly in North Bergen on November was arraigned Thursday on multiple counts, including aggravated manslaughter, death by auto and leaving the scene of a fatal accident.

Authorities say Rogelio Chavix-Tacen, 38, was behind the wheel of his boss' 2010 Nissan Rogue last Nov. 14 when it jumped the curb on Kennedy Boulevard between 31st and 32nd streets in North Bergen and struck Michael and Adrian Viruet as they walked home from a nearby movie theater.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 07:18 pm
@parados,
I admire your willingness to engage with people who don't care how many children are killed by gunfire. They don't understand the difference between accidents and 'on purpose'. Even if we stopped going to movies and Church (July 15 2015 Charleston massacre 9 dead) we might die going to work, getting hit by lightening, a victim of a serial killer and even staying in bed all day doesn't keep you safe from a heart attack or a pack of wild dogs.

So, silly men come up with silly reasons why every aspect of life is more dangerous than a testosterone fueled skinny 16 year old boy who's been bullied and comes to school with automatic weapons determined to make everybody pay the ultimate price because he isn't having a great adolescence and he is ill-equipped to know that things can get easier. You know why? Because silly men never grow out of that adolescent state and only feel like grown men when they can hold their guns close to their hearts.

And thats why they care more about their guns than they do about newborns or toddlers.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 07:27 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
And thats why they care more about their guns than they do about newborns or toddlers.

you are talking to people who have a lifetime of experience watching the state use the justification of "SAFETY!" to run over the rights of the people. You pretend otherwise. It is your lack of honesty that makes you not a serious speaker. Your consistent lack of respect for others gets honorable mention.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Gosh, that stings.....oh wait, it doesn't.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 09:06 pm
@parados,
Quote:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/08/overreaction_an.html

The rarity of events such as the Aurora massacre doesn't mean we should ignore any lessons it might teach us. Because people overreact to rare events, they're useful catalysts for social introspection and policy change. The key here is to focus not on the details of the particular event but on the broader issues common to all similar events.

Installing metal detectors at movie theaters doesn't make sense -- there's no reason to think the next crazy gunman will choose a movie theater as his venue, and how effectively would a metal detector deter a lone gunman anyway? -- but understanding the reasons why the United States has so many gun deaths compared with other countries does. The particular motivations of alleged killer James Holmes aren't relevant -- the next gunman will have different motivations -- but the general state of mental health care in the United States is.

Even with this, the most important lesson of the Aurora massacre is how rare these events actually are. Our brains are primed to believe that movie theaters are more dangerous than they used to be, but they're not. The riskiest part of the evening is still the car ride to and from the movie theater, and even that's very safe.

But wear a seat belt all the same.

This essay previously appeared on CNN.com, and is an update of this essay.

EDITED TO ADD: I almost added that Holmes wouldn't have been stopped by a metal detector. He walked into the theater unarmed and left through a back door, which he propped open so he could return armed. And while there was talk about installing metal detectors in movie theaters, I have not heard of any theater actually doing so. But AMC movie theaters have announced a "no masks or costumes policy" as a security measure.

Tags: guns, overreactions, psychology of security, risks, security theater, shootings
Posted on August 3, 2012 at 6:03 AM • 60 Comments
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 10:15 pm
Quote:
1,400 Sign Up to Protest Obama’s Visit to Roseburg, Oregon -
See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/1400-sign-protest-obamas-visit-roseburg-oregon-123486/#sthash.tLbdQcML.dpuf

That's more than show up for a Killary rally.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 10:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
1,400 Sign Up to Protest Obama’s Visit to Roseburg, Oregon -
See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/1400-sign-protest-obamas-visit-roseburg-oregon-123486/#sthash.tLbdQcML.dpuf

That's more than show up for a Killary rally.

I am hoping for a good turnout. This prick Obama needs to hear a little truth from the little people, get out of his ******* castle with his tiny band of sycophants that he listens exclusively to and get the bitch slap that he has so well earned.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 01:03 am
@McGentrix,
You really are a good little lickspittle parroting your master's voice. You keep fooling yourself you're free while you pay through the nose for stuff the rest of us get for free.

Nobody is interested in the moronic pronouncements of servile, eunuch bellied coward. We know what you are.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 01:19 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You don't speak for all Americans, you recognize that, right?

He only recognises what he's told to recognise. I know he likes to make a big song and dance about being American because he must have achieved so much on a personal level. It's very clear that first and foremost he's an idiot who only happens to be American. We've got idiots too, like Romeo.

It must be very frustrating when your human effluent keeps dressing itself up in the stars and stripes, and resorting to xenophobia when it loses yet another argument, but don't worry, we can see it for what it is.

I once had the misfortune to go on a day trip to France on the day that The Sun had given out a load of free tickets, so I know what it's like to cringe with embarrassment at the antics of atavistic 'fellow' countrymen. And like you I tried to make a difference by being very polite and pleasant to every French person I met.
saab

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 05:22 am
@izzythepush,
Another shooting - at a university in Arizona

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:14 am
@saab,
Let "freedom" reign, we're so jealous.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
What a pile of bullshit. You can think for yourself, you've got a choice.
I was being sarcastic, thought the part about time travel would tip you to it.

When you said I was an enabler, I take it you were not (being sarcastic)?
And you mean I can think for myself but mass shooters cannot?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:27 am
@Leadfoot,
You were avoiding the question with a load of duplicitous nonsense. That's not sarcasm, it's not even close.

Of course I'm not an enabler, we stopped mass shootings over here. You support the status quo, more mass shootings, ergo you're an enabler.

You see how that works?

(Btw, that last sentence was sarcastic. You can use it as a reference point in future if you want.)
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:32 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You support the status quo, more mass shootings, ergo you're an enabler.
Nope, never said that.

I have always advocated for a closer examination and understanding of the reasons behind the killings in order to reduce them. That's something that has at least a chance of having a significant impact.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:40 am
@Leadfoot,
So you think the problem is something other than insane gun availability. I suggest you watch the clip with John Oliver, because that's just nonsense.

Mental health is a smokescreen thrown up by gun nuts to avoid dealing with the real issue.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 07:46 am
@saab,
From the first reports it seem more likely to be personal and related to drugs selling on campus.

Quote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/09/one-dead-3-injured-in-shooting-at-northern-arizona-university/

In 2011, the Delta Chi house in Flagstaff came under gunfire in a drive-by shooting. “Police say the frat house was pockmarked with bullet holes but there were no injuries,” the Arizona Daily Star reported at the time. The newspaper added that “two other recent firearm-related assaults at the fraternity are also believed connected to drug sales there.”