Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

revelette2

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
Why are you so obsessed with "manliness"? I mean, give it a rest already.
revelette2

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 05:51 am
@McGentrix,
Bobsal must like Texas despite the laws or the political environment, I seriously doubt many people decide to live in a place because of it's political environment. For most people, it is probably where they grew up and they have family and friends or it might have something to do with jobs and/or their careers.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:10 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Bobsal must like Texas despite the laws or the political environment, I seriously doubt many people decide to live in a place because of it's political environment. For most people, it is probably where they grew up and they have family and friends or it might have something to do with jobs and/or their careers.

A lot of people have moved to Texas because of the laws and/or political climate. Now, Bob wants to change that to suit his needs and desires. He has 49 other states to choose to live in that may or may not have the kinds of laws and political climate he wants to live in.
revelette2

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:22 am
@McGentrix,
I don't think so, but I guess a study would have to done on it to know for sure, even then, probably the study would be up for debate...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:23 am
@revelette2,
As a response to all those idiots who go on about freedom and wave their guns about, but are completely supine when it comes to dealing with the aristocracy.

If you need a gun to be a man you're no man.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:24 am
@revelette2,
Bob doesn't live in Texas anymore, he even started a thread about his new abode.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Not quite, we're getting ready to move there early next year.

I have a business to pack up and move and a house to sell.
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 04:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Best to move before the Summer.

I was in Texas in May, and it was too hot for me. I couldn't hack it for longer than a couple of months.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2015 05:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Tell me bout it. Been here for over fifteen years and it just kicks my butt every summer.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 03:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't have air conditioning, (very few houses do over here,) and I have a cool house, but every Summer there's a night or two when it's too hot to sleep and you can feel the temperature rise going up the stairs.

Last year we had a month of it, I don't think I could handle any more than that.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 07:19 am
@izzythepush,
Being from the UK (is that the correct term, I never really know), what did you make of Texas other than the weather? Did you go anywhere else? Just curious.
revelette2

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 07:25 am
@McGentrix,
You whole premise reminds of when people are critical of the current polices of an era and those who respond to that criticism says, "Move to Canada if you don't like it." Of course people don't just accept the political norms, if they did nothing would ever change and we would still have slaves or even be a colonized nation of Britain, the civil rights war would never had taken place, women would not be able to vote nor blacks...I could go on but surely you get the point.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 09:17 am
@revelette2,
I went to New Orleans as well. (Couldn't get a decent cup of tea anywhere.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
(Couldn't get a decent cup of tea anywhere.)
As far as I know, the best tea is served in Hampshire - you should have gone there Very Happy Wink (I've got some really good tea [and cake] in the Lyndhurst Tea House)
saab

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
And I got the worst tea at my British sister in laws´house in Washington DC
She serves a very thin tea with plenty of milk and rather cold.
So where ever I went it seemed perfectly delicious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 12:57 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
(Couldn't get a decent cup of tea anywhere.)

I can believe that, you can't get a decent hamburger over there. In fact, the first time i ordered one, in Limerick, they brought be something dry and inedible. I asked what the hell it was made of, and was informed (in a haughty manner) that it was made of ham, of course, and that if i had wanted a beef burger, i should have ordered one. Hamburger, or Hamburg steak, has been used for ground beet, in Germany and other parts of Europe, since at least the 18th century. You would think the nickel would have dropped in the British Isles by now.

Carping because people in other countries don't do things the way you do is a wonderful example of parochialism.

The following is from the Wikipedia article on "Hamburg steak:"

Quote:
In as early as the early eighteenth century, Hamburg steak was already widely heard of and popular mostly among the Germans, who are claimed to have invented it. One tale has it that the beef in Hamburg, a German port, was known for being minced and chopped – a method borrowed from the Russians by the German butchers. Another one states that Hamburg steak is an English creation; it is mentioned in the 1745 cookbook Art of Cookery by Hannah Glasse. Migrating Germans introduced the dish worldwide and Hamburg steak became a mainstream dish in nineteenth-century America. The first printed menu in the United States listed Hamburg steak as one of the food items offered; at ten cents, it was the most expensive item on the list. After being wedged between two pieces of bread, the steak evolved into the hamburger.

There is a distinction between the term "Hamburg steak" and "hamburger": The former refers to just a beef patty made a certain way, while the hamburger is a sandwich-like dish comprising the patty, buns and other ingredients including onions.

It appears that, at one time, the Brits did know how to make a hamburger. I guess they forgot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:11 pm
https://timemarcheson.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/wimpy.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 01:13 pm
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2015 02:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I went to New Orleans as well. (Couldn't get a decent cup of tea anywhere.)

Maybe you should have tried a Mint Julep or something, you know when in Rome do as the Romans do.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/images/stories/s.mintjulep.1.jpg