Harrisburg Pa. Outdoor Show "Postponed"

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:35 am
http://www.easternsportshow.com/

Quote:

Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

“It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

“ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates.”

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:37 am
Discussion on FR:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2981391/posts

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:42 am
Formerman can verify this, the Harrisburg show was the larges show of its kind east of the Mississippi river and at this point, it's basically dead at least for this year, a victim of Bork Obunga and the demoKKKrat wet-dream about banning overly scary-looking firearms.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 11:31 am
@gungasnake,
On FR:

Quote:
Let your Congressional representatives know about this and that it is an indicator of how strongly we value our 2ND Amendment rights.

Here is what I sent to my reps:

The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, originally scheduled to start February 2 in Harrisburg, has been ‘postponed’.The reason: over 400 exhibitors pulled out—including Cabelas and a host of big name firearms manufacturers.

These exhibitors pulled out in protest of the show’s decision to prohibit the display of “assault weapons”. This wrong-headed decision of the show’s management, and the ensuing backlash from exhibitors and attendees alike who respect the 2ND Amendment should serve as an indicator to you of how strongly Pennsylvanians feel about ANY attempt by Obama or Congress to erode our 2ND Amendment Rights—which incidently—don’t come from government, they come from our Creator. Remember this when Senator Feinstein trots out her proposals to disarm Americans.

You should also know that here in Pennsylvnia, our state-level legislators are taking steps to enact legislation that would protect Pennsylvanians against ANY further regulation of firearms that comes out of D.C.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 02:46 pm
@gungasnake,
It was the decision of the show's sponsr NOT to include any booths that were peddling the military style guns. What did the president have to do with it? You certainly like to yank at straws snake.

I was all set to go with some buddies but , well, guess Ill have to wait for the RV show (whish has a huge sports component and Ill bet itll be open to all peddlers)

Too bad cause the sportsmens show was always big on conservation, fishing, hiking, etc etc. The gun nutz had their own drool filled spaces .
Cabelas hawks the most overpriced pack of Chinese **** out there, so I dont even visit theor Pa sports center when I can get my stuff 33% cheaper elsewhere.

I bought a "Judge" pistol over the net and paid 350, Cabelas wanted 575, same fuckin pistol. Im sure they will go on sale when the price difference is widely known.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
I used to go to the show, mainly for the archery stuff but I also liked to check out the hunting outfitters and there were always super prices on tree-stands and various kinds of paraphernalia.

Your best prices on firearms are on gunbroker.com, I can't imagine buying a firearm of any sort from Cabelas.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 03:59 pm
@farmerman,
Of topic, but have you set that Judge off, yet? I never picked on up, but it looks like it would be ferocious at both ends, if you got the one with the 3" .410.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 06:11 pm

The last gun show I attended was SHOT SHOW in Vegas.

Local shows don't really interest me anymore, I did my shopping years ago.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 08:50 pm
@roger,
The only use I'd ever have for something like that would be snakes and I'd rather have something more like 28ga for snakes.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 09:10 pm
@gungasnake,
I would have bet that 28 ga loads would be hard to find.
Foofie

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 09:38 pm
The show sounds interesting just from the standpoint of observing those that attend. Sort of like birdwatching, only it's people, not birds. One wouldn't even need binoculars, since the attendees would not mind my observing close-up, if I did it in a non-intrusive way, I believe.

The thrill of sociology!
roger

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 09:44 pm
@Foofie,
I doubt you would get much out of it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 10:33 pm
@roger,
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-taurus-raging-judge-28-gauge-revolver/

http://cdn.gunsamerica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ragingjudge1.jpg

http://cdn.gunsamerica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Shotgun_shell_comparison.jpg

410, 28, 20, 12...

BTW, I wouldn't use buckshot loads in that even as a home defense weapon, I'd probably want to load ammo with #5 shot.
oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 08:49 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
It was the decision of the show's sponsr NOT to include any booths that were peddling the military style guns. What did the president have to do with it?

The gun show guy was boycotted into oblivion because he is a Quisling who dared to side with the President.

It is further relevant because we will devote the same energy and vigor to voting politicians out of office, should they dare to cross the NRA, that we devote to boycotting gun industry Quislings into bankruptcy.

Some people have suggested that the NRA is no longer able to fight. This boycott of this gun show should demonstrate to Congress quite clearly the strength of our resolve, should any Congressmen in rural districts have any questions about what will happen to them on election day if they vote the wrong way.

P.S. Varmint guns done right:
http://dpmsinc.com/Varmint--Target_ep_79-1.html
roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 11:07 pm
@gungasnake,
Good Lord!

I suspect you have bigger hands than I.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 01:43 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The show sounds interesting just from the standpoint of observing those that attend. Sort of like birdwatching, only it's people, not birds. One wouldn't even need binoculars, since the attendees would not mind my observing close-up, if I did it in a non-intrusive way, I believe.

The thrill of sociology!
The customers look pretty ordinary.
U r welcome to look at us.

David
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:01 am
@roger,
I don't own one of those, just saying that if I was to buy any sort of a shotshell pistol, it would be 28ga and not 410.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 05:48 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

I don't own one of those, just saying that if I was to buy any sort of a shotshell pistol,
it would be 28ga and not 410.
Y ?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 06:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Its handleable IN A STONE HOME like ours. I cannot see a home defense high V pistol. Itd ricochet all over the place Our walls are 24" thick. The 410 is comfortable for my wife (it does have some recoil , it fires 45s too)

Roger, it does have a kick and we keep it hidden in a compartment of some bedstands we had made 10 or so years ago.

The Harrisburg show is equally loaded with fishing, natute photography, RVs, outfitters, climbing , etc etc EVEN TRAPPING.

It was advertised in the last few years as the BIGEEST sportsmens show in the US (not jut east of Mississippi). It surpassed the size and no of booths of the Las Vegas show severalyears ago when they hit 1500 exhibitors
SAD

ORalloy, too bad youre so unidimensional
gungasnake

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I wouldn't trust a 410 to kill a really big snake.