Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:16 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Says the big girl's blouse hiding behind his gun. Take your gun away from you and there's nothing left, just a little frightened half man.

You mean like a Brit?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:40 am
Actually, schools/colleges/universities are very safe places in the USA: the rate of getting shot on a campus is less than one percent per 100,000 people. Among the general public, it's between six and seven percent per 100,000 people.

Guns seem becoming the way conflicts are solved. And since a campus is in more than one way a mirror of society - perhaps, the number of deaths will get up. (Since the Newtown massacre, there have been at least 141 school shootings in the United States, it has been reported - that's nearly one school shooting a week.)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:42 am
@McGentrix,
You're not even man enough to accept responsibility for what happened. You wouldn't last five minutes over here.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
Pfft. I'm not muddying the waters, that is your job. I was simply stating initial reports, which it looks like are true. It has been reported in more than one place as of now, he also appears to be a fan of the IRA.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 09:54 am
@Baldimo,
If he's a fan of IRA and kills explicitly Christians ... well, that alone would give a clue about his mind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 11:06 am
I can pretty much guarantee you that if you walk into any group of people in Roseburg and ask them their religion they'll mostly answer Christian. I'll bet there are more atheists than otherwise affiliated non-Christians.

A quick Google shows

70 Christian churches.

2 Synagogues

0 Mosques

The whole religion angle of this is a red herring, I think. I'm sure he knew it would create more of a clamor if he asked this (Columbine, anyone?). He was right.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 11:12 am
@Baldimo,
And it was also reported he had white supremacist literature and had a fascination with guns.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 11:51 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Ragman wrote:

Is that anything like Swiss Bellringers?

In that both use limp wrists, yes.

I read this AM that the pistols the shooter had were from the "Too Fast, Too Furious" gun debacle. Ok, not really, but what a debacle that would be, huh?

You just can't help yourself can you? We can always count on you to float that turd in the punchbowl.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're not even man enough to accept responsibility for what happened. You wouldn't last five minutes over here.

Accept responsibility? For what? That's like asking if you accept responsibility for all the rapes in India. Do you accept responsibility for those? I've been to England. Lasted far longer then five minutes.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:51 pm
@McGentrix,
Yikes, they made you get back on the plane? What did you do to be refused entrance?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:52 pm
@McGentrix,
We got out of India a long time ago. You're still arming all and sundry because of ridiculous gun laws supported by people like you. We took responsibility after Dunblane, that's why shootings are as rare in the UK as they are everyday in America.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Lasted far longer then five minutes.

I bet you're Mr Milquetoast without your gun. You wouldn't last five minutes in some of the pubs I've frequented.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Which ridiculous gun laws would those be? Do you mean the ability to actually own guns, those silly gun laws? Considering violent crime is much higher in the UK vs the US, I'll take my chance with being shot, which is very rare, vs getting stabbed which is very common there.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Lasted far longer then five minutes.

I bet you're Mr Milquetoast without your gun. You wouldn't last five minutes in some of the pubs I've frequented.

I doubt we'd frequent the same pubs. I can afford to actually buy a pint instead of fighting for them. What kind of **** holes do you frequent?
Walter Hinteler

Christopher Mercer's 13 weapons were purchased legally by the shooter himself or a family member in the last three years.

The U.S. Army discharged him as unfit after he went through basic training in 2008 ("discharged for failing to meet the minimum administrative standards to serve in the U.S. Army")

He graduated in 2009 from a private school serving special-needs students. (The Switzer Center, a private, nonprofit school in Torrance, California, geared for special education students with a range of issues from learning disabilities, health problems and autism or Asperger's Disorder.)

His screen name on some social media sites was "lithium love".
izzythepush

@Baldimo,
The ones that allow mass shooting to happen on a regular basis. I don't know which laws in particular, but when you can buy a gun at a supermarket you know there's something seriously wrong.

You have mass shootings, we don't.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Ones where mouthy idiots usually get a slap.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:02 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I can afford to actually buy a pint

Is it pay day already?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
You can't buy guns in a supermarket. We do have mass shootings and they keep happening in gun free zones. Those seem to be working out so well for us.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:07 pm
@Baldimo,
The US is hardly a solitary example of mass killings in the world. They happen in lots of places all around the globe. The problem is people, not guns.