Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:59 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Parados is a very very dishonest person as he will created positions that you had not taken in order to be able to attack those false positions.
He must think that all readers of this website is stupid enough for him to get away with such nonsense.

I do not believe that he is being dishonest.

Trying to argue that guns are a problem for America though is an ultimately futile position to take, so he's defending very difficult territory.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
so he's defending very difficult territory.

Maybe he isn't thinking. He is a hack, of course, he is dishonest. It is the only way someone can be to promote progressive ideas, or schemes. It is old and tired and excuses don't solve problems.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 07:37 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
ROSEBURG, Ore. — A week has passed since J. J. Vicari huddled underneath a desk while gunshots exploded in the classroom next door. Now he is thinking about guns. Not about tightening gun laws, as President Obama urged after nine people were killed at the community college here. But about buying one for himself

“It’s opened my eyes,” said Mr. Vicari, 19. “I want to have a gun in the house to protect myself, to protect the people I’m with. I’m sure I’ll have a normal life and never have to go through anything like this, but I want to be sure.”

Mr. Obama plans to visit Roseburg on Friday to meet the grieving families of yet another gun rampage, but many people here are bristling at his renewed call for stricter gun laws. In some ways, the rampage at the college by a 26-year-old student, Christopher Harper-Mercer, has actually tightened the embrace of guns in a rural town where shots at rifle ranges echo off the hills and hunters shoot deer and elk through the fall.

Some families touched by the violence and students who fled gunfire said they now feared that the kind of bloodshed seen inside Classroom 15 of Snyder Hall at Umpqua Community College could happen anywhere. Some said they were planning to buy guns. Others said they would seek concealed-weapons permits. Others, echoing gun advocates’ calls for more weapons on campus, said the college should allow its security guards to carry guns. A few said they thought that stricter gun control laws could have averted the massacre.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/us/oregon-roseburg-shooting-umpqua-community-college.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

NONONONONONONO! This is not how the script goes!
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
bristling

Shouting, booing, yelling GTFO. Is that what that means? Do you think Obama will have people bused in?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:17 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
bristling

Shouting, booing, yelling GTFO. Is that what that means? Do you think Obama will have people bused in?

IDK, but I suspect that Obama and his people never understand that not all of Oregon is as liberal as Portland is. This is unfolding like a rookie political mistake, substituting hubris and assumptions for facts.

We shall see, maybe Obama is going to get humiliated as a result of his anti gun crusade a time or two more before he leaves.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
We shall see, maybe Obama is going to get humiliated as a result of his anti gun crusade a time or two more before he leaves.

Let's hope he doesn't impose martial law if that happens. He is sensitive.
http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/chuckle.gif
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:53 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
People magazine, one of the country's largest publications, with a circulation of more than 3.5 million readers, just threw its weight behind the push for increased gun control by publishing contacts for every member of Congress, and urging their readers to lobby for action.

In an editorial on Wednesday, the magazine's editorial director Jess Cagle explained the unprecedented decision to enter the gun debate after the latest mass shooting at a community college in Oregon.

Quote:
The early warning signs that could stop the next shooting rampage
As President Obama said, our responses to these incidents—from politicians, from the media, from nearly everyone—have become "routine." We all ask ourselves the same questions: How could it happen again? What are we doing about gun violence in America? There are no easy answers, of course. Some argue for stricter gun laws, others say we should focus on mental health issues, some point to a culture that celebrates violence.

But this much we know: As a country we clearly aren't doing enough, and our elected officials' conversations about solutions usually end in political spin.

In this issue we pay tribute to the nine Oregon victims, as well as 22 other men, women and children who've lost their lives in mass shootings—incidents where a murderer has opened fire on a crowd—in the U.S. during the past 12 months.

The move by People is remarkable considering the magazine—a staple at every newsstand and doctor's office in America—is traditionally associated with celebrity gossip and general human interest stories that carry little risk of being offensive or overtly political, meaning its message could reach many more Americans outside the DC echo chamber, in which action on gun violence has completely stalled.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/10/people-magazine-gun-control

Said as if there is some mass silent majority that strongly wants more gun laws. The truth is that in reality support for increased guns laws has been weakening outside of Washington. We continually see the elite claiming ignorance of the facts. Are they lying or are they too lazy to find out the facts before they open their yaps?

EDIT: Also People mag telling me what I should do about gun laws is right up there with Obama telling me what the best pot is. I will get my advice from people who have a tad more subject matter expertise. Then I will decide for myself. I give more thought time to those who seem to understand that what I do is up to me, that I am not some wind up toy for use by the elite.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:25 pm
I can see that there are 11 comments following my statement that too many innocent people die at the hands of others, the numbers are staggering. Since the 11 responses are from blocked people I assume they don't think the numbers are too high. I don't want to assume these blocked people are anti-abortion, pro death penalty but are comfortable with unlimited numbers of student deaths. Whats more important, the lives of other peoples children or larding up the scope of the 2nd amendment. Our children aren't being killed by foreign terrorists, just gun enthusiasts who will not budge when it comes to their unfettered access to own more weapons than most armories.

My reasons for blocking some folks is the same reason I don't read the National Enquirer, I simply can't bear the idea that Americans who are guaranteed a free education are dumber than a bag of hair.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I simply can't bear the idea that Americans who are guaranteed a free education are dumber than a bag of hair.

Well, you could shoot yourself and prove us all wrong.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:38 pm
Don't waste your time, I'm not reading whoever or whatever just remarked.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:40 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Don't waste your time, I'm not reading whoever or whatever just remarked.

Your not very good at this. A comment like that proves you are. Time for a haircut, dummy.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:00 pm
Probably not missing anything worthwhile.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:05 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Probably not missing anything worthwhile.

How would you know?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 10:14 pm
@coldjoint,
I have long wondered why Glitter advertises that she does not want to know the truth. You might think that she would be embarrassed to admit such a thing, but not her.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Not wanting to talk to the likes of CJ is not hiding from the truth. It's not wasting one's time with ignorant bigoted morons who brainlessly spew their hate filled mantra like the obedient drones they are.

You have no conception of what the truth is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:43 am
@McGentrix,
No projection, just pointing out the truth about a bunch of spineless cowards who hide behind their guns.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 02:44 am
@BillRM,
Big deal, you've done a parachute jump, who hasn't? You're still a spineless creep who hides behind a gun.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:24 am
@izzythepush,
Hide behind a gun?

A strange concept that is like stating that someone is hiding behind a fire extinguisher.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 03:46 am
@BillRM,
I knew you wouldn't understand it, and your analogy is fucked up, more like hiding behind a can of petrol.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 04:04 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry I been around guns for most of my life and I am from a family that have guns in it for many generations.

Guns are not cans of gasoline and guns like fire extinguishers are useful devices that offer protection during the time lag between calling 911 and help arriving.

Unless you have security personnels living with you your life and your family lives could depend on you dealing with a threat yourself, just like your life and family lives could depend on your ability to deal with a fire yourself using that fire extinguisher.