Deadly shooting on Oregon college campus

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:27 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So you have never taken the position that knives and bombs are just as deadly as guns?

Bombs are proven far more deadly then firearms in doing mass killings as been proven by body counts when they had been use, knives are less deadly then firearms for mass killings but they can indeed be used to do mass killings also as past examples had shown.

Strange that you can not seem to understand such clear positions.
parados

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 02:46 pm
@BillRM,
So now it is comparing a rare event to ongoing events that occur on a regular basis.

A single bomb can be more deadly. However, the number of shootings prove to be more deadly over time. A knife can be used to kill a number of people. However the number of shootings prove to be more deadly over time.

You continue to take a position that we should not deal with the majority of deaths but instead you deflect to a position that other things can be deadly. This is a position that solves nothing. It is like arguing we shouldn't do any safety features in cars because people that wear seat belts can be killed.
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:04 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So now it is comparing a rare event to ongoing events that occur on a regular basis.

All mass killings are rare events in a nation of 350 millions you odds of being killed in a mass attack of any kind is very very very tiny even if the news media love to cover such events as it they was a great danger to the common welfare.

Once more the rate of homicide per 100,000 for all causes is near a 100 years low in the US.

Nor is there any reason to think that people who wish to go on a killing spree and for some reason could not get firearms would not turn to other means.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:05 pm
@parados,
Quote:
This is a position that solves nothing. It is like arguing we shouldn't do any safety features in cars because people that wear seat belts can be killed.

Then why do you keep replying? Or is it because guns don't kill. People do.http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/1dunno1.gif
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:15 pm
@BillRM,
Oh for ****'s sake. More deflection?

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:34 pm
@BillRM,
I have not related the squirmy explanation I offered for the hole in our font yard.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:35 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Oh for ****'s sake. More deflection?

????????????????

By the way in overall body counts the Oklahome city bombing killed 168 people where this Oregon College shooting body count is 15 so doing the math you would need 11 such events as the college shooting to match the Oklahome bombing death toll.

911 body count with the only weapons was edge weapons used to take over aircrafts was roughly 4,000 so you would need 266 Oregon college shootings to match 911.

Then we have the NYC Happy Land night club arson that resulted in 87 deaths so you would need 6 Oregon college shootings to match a killer that used a few gallons of gasoline and a match.

Seems you need one hell of a lot of shootings mass murders events to match other means of body counts such as bombings or even arson fires.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:26 pm
@parados,
Oh the 2005 London suicide bombings killed 56 people and injury 7oo or once more four times the death toll of Oregon college shootings not to mention the 700 injury.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
None of those bombs were legally carried.
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
None of those bombs were legally carried.

So what does it matter if the tools of mass murders are legally carry before the attack or not???????

The laws in the US in any case do not allowed legal carry on colleges campuses so any firearms used in attacks on campuses are not there legally.

An once more so what?
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh by the way if in the US you decided to do a mass murders shootings in say a 24 hours restaurant such as Denny there is a damn good chance approaching a 100 percents that there will be armed customers able to deal with you.

But on US campuses you know you do not need to have any great concerns that there will be armed students or professors that could interfere with your killing spree.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:24 pm
@BillRM,
Never bloody happens though. That's just fantasy in the minds of sad little men who like to pretend they're something else. If you were armed an in a restaurant and someone started shooting, you'd **** yourself and hide under the table.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you'd do anything else.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:25 pm
@BillRM,
The NRA is ridiculed by the "journalists" for making the argument that a more armed nation would have less gun violence, but I have not seen their argument proved false. They that more people will die because of suicides but that is not necessarily a cost. Liberals are generally in favor of making suicide easier.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Never bloody happens though. That's just fantasy in the minds of sad little men who like to pretend they're something else. If you were armed an in a restaurant and someone started shooting, you'd **** yourself and hide under the table.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you'd do anything else.

Man you sure do project yourself on others a lot. Just because you would do something doesn't necessarily mean others would act in the same fashion you would. There are many stories of armed people protecting themselves and others. There are a lot of stories of unarmed people charging shooters to protect others.

You really need to stop projecting your own fears on others though.
BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
you'd **** yourself and hide under the table.

Well I did not **** when my main parachute did not open correctly on my third jump or when my ultralight was way out of balance and I needed to take off my seat belt and move my body way forward out of the seat with only one hand keeping me connected to the plane as I control the plane with my other hand.

So maybe I would indeed act like you and hide under a table but I do not think so.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:09 pm
Why can't we just admit that too many people/children are losing their lives in a horrific fashion by simply going to school, church, work, sitting in restaurants or going to a movie theater? Why should I be armed when I go shopping? Even if I am carrying a weapon, how do I defend myself during a drive by or a sniper on a rooftop. So many children in Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Annapolis are wounded, crippled and killed by stray bullets or crossfire on playgrounds, in parks, inside their homes, walking with their parents and frankly just doing the things most of us took for granted when we were small children.

We know whats killing people, so why are we so stymied. If packs of wild dogs were invading our schools and killing people we would simply no put up with it. The difference with guns is gun nuts are willing to see collateral damage as long as they have unfettered access to guns. We can buy them in pawn shops, order modification kits in the mail, of course gun shows are remarkably popular and yet I still hear folks complaining they should stock up on more weapons and ammo before the government takes away their guns.

I don't want to take peoples hunting rifles or other guns away, but the idea that we should arm students or the answer to gun violence is more guns is insulting.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Why can't we just admit that too many people/children are losing their lives in a horrific fashion by simply going to school, church, work, sitting in restaurants or going to a movie theater?

Said as if this is a fact. In an era when "one is too many" is constantly used as an argument to get something "too many" applys to any number but zero, so it is meaningless. We have the same problem when every sexual transgression real or imagined gets called rape....now when someone says " I was raped" the words dont mean anything.

This is what happens when language is killed for political gain.

Quote:
We know whats killing people, so why are we so stymied.
Smarter people than you who know that access to tools is not the fundamental problem, that people who attempt to kill is the problem, is big part of it. The fact that we cant trust our government is a bigger part.

Quote:
I don't want to take peoples hunting rifles or other guns away, but the idea that we should arm students or the answer to gun violence is more guns is insulting.
you being allergic to considering opinions that conflict with yours is well know. But you have to first win the argument before you can even consider being insulted by the question.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This is what happens when language is killed for political gain.

That sums up PC quite well.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Why can't we just admit that too many people/children are losing their lives in a horrific fashion by simply going to school, church, work, sitting in restaurants or going to a movie theater?

People/children are dying in far far greater numbers while driving to the movie theaters with their parents then by some nut shooting up the movie theaters after they had arrived.

No matter how must coverage the news media give to such sad events they are very rare in a nation of 350 millions with 40,000 or so theaters with 200,00 or so screens and the odds of anyone person being killed in such a manner is like winning the state lottery two times within a year.

Wish every public school would have a course that would teach how to compare risks that we all run in our everyday lives.

Once more our children, assuming they are not blacks living in the inner cities , and ourselves are as safe from violence and deaths as we had been for the last 100 years.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:53 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
There are roughly 32,000 gun deaths per year in the United States. Of those, around 60% are suicides. About 3% are accidental deaths (between 700-800 deaths). About 34% of deaths (just over 11,000 in both 2010 and 2011) make up the remainder of gun deaths and are classified as homicides. Sometimes the 32,000 and 11,000 figures are used interchangeably by gun control advocates. Clearly, the 32,000 figure is a far more dramatic number and it is often used for impact by anti-gun activists.
It is unclear what percentage of gun deaths are gang-related nationally and even from one city to the next. So while Detroit logs some 350 homicides annually, there is no hard statistic to grasp the exact percentage that is gang-related or involving gang-members. In New Orleans, between 35-55% of homicides are classified as gang-related. In Chicago, an estimated 80% of homicides are gang-related. And in Baltimore, the police commissioner states that 80% of homicides are drug-related

http://usconservatives.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/a/Putting-Gun-Death-Statistics-In-Perspective.htm

So lets try to factor conservatively and say that 40% of homicides are gang banger deaths which I care little about, like suicide this is a public service, that leaves 8,000 deaths per year from either gun violence or gun accidents. I am not sure that I will support weakening my Constitutional rights more than they already have been for 8, 000 lives a year.
0 Replies