What Is the Most Important Challenge Facing the US?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
Quote:
Cycloptichorn, Right you are, but profits are what drives them. How can there be an alternative?

I think that a re-definition of the corporation is step numero uno. The fact that they are considered to be an individual in our legal system is f*cking ridiculous.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but let me ask you, suze - is there another motive besides profit for people to excel?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:58 pm
"The fact that they are considered to be an individual in our legal system is f*cking ridiculous."

Yes, it certainly is.

"I hate to answer a question with a question, but let me ask you, suze - is there another motive besides profit for people to excel?"

I used to think so! I know that individuals do it all the time, but these corporations are beholden to their shareholders, for one thing, and they need lots of money to lobby politicians to get the plum jobs, for another, so that they can make more money for their shareholders. There probably is a solution, but the greedy bastards will fight it every step of the way, and they've been winning a lot lately.

Do you know who Aaron Fuerustein is? He did the right thing (even better than the right thing) for the right reason, but now he's lost it all, it seems.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:09 pm
Suzy,

Thanks for alerting me to this guy. He hasn't lost it all - even if he went broke, there's a whole town of people who would break their backs to help him out.

That's TRUE profit right there! I'm going to think on this and write an essay tonight on it.

Thank you!!!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:47 pm
Nimh
Quote:

Bangladesh wont easily refuse a much-needed industrial investment by some American corporation, "greedy and corrupt" or not. They need the jobs, the income, too much.

American corporation? I suppose the Europeans would never commit such a dastardly act. They of course are simon pure. History has proven that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:50 pm
au1929 wrote:
American corporation? I suppose the Europeans would never commit such a dastardly act. They of course are simon pure. History has proven that. Rolling Eyes

Sure, European corporations, same thing. I was just responding in shorthand to Fox's "Greedy and corrupt corporations from the U.S. or anywhere else".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
Fox, Government intervention can reduce pollution, not eliminate it, such as the smog controls we have in California. Not all states nor countries have the same controls on smog emission by automobiles, and that will increase world pollution as more and more cars are produced. The consumer will buy whatever it will to satisfy their own desires without much thought to pollution. You must study and understand basic economics to understand the theory of supply and demand. I would suggest you learn about world fish demands, and how that is reducing the fish populations in our oceans. As long as there is demand for fish, the fishing industry will try to meet it's demand. Combustion engines will continue to be produced as long as consumers are willing to buy - whether they are gas guzzlers or not. Consumers will continue to buy what they think they can afford - not paying much attention to how they might contribute to pollution.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
kuvasz wrote:
nimh wrote:
OK, I've read the thread and I've changed my mind.

It's the sock puppets, obviously. The very fact that we've heard so little of that danger yet indicates just how insidious it must be.

Kuvasz, what action do you propose?

Well nimh, that's tough one, and i believe that there is not much choice if we are to survive against a secret onslaught of SP PSYOP provocateurs.

Torture is never pretty, but there are times that one considers its use the only way to save lives

may god have mercy on our souls

Did anyone catch what Howard Dean said about the need to fight sock puppets? I think I heard some activist going, "we've got to beat back / the sock puppet attack / beat, beat back / the sock puppet attack!".

I thought Ted Kennedy was especially eloquent about the need to stay calm and confident though, when he was paraphrasing FDR: "Today, we say the only thing we have to fear is the fear of Sock Puppets". Thats right - we've got to be vigilant, but never cower.

I do want to thank Kuvasz for showing such excellent foresight in raising the issue. And although I want to avoid coming across as partisan, I will say that I doubt the other side will be anything as alert or astute in tackling it.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 07:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Suzy,

Thanks for alerting me to this guy. He hasn't lost it all - even if he went broke, there's a whole town of people who would break their backs to help him out.

That's TRUE profit right there! I'm going to think on this and write an essay tonight on it.

Thank you!!!!

Cycloptichorn

Smile That's the spirit! He's the kind of man that makes me cry. The good kind of cry Wink I wish that somebody like him could run the country.
0 Replies