What Is the Most Important Challenge Facing the US?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:12 pm
It really gets down to the basics; essentially the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Most Americans don't understand what they stand for which is the danger in this country. This administration and congress approved the Patriot Act, and this president is pushing to legislate discrimination against one group of Americans. People just don't get it; and what we get is what we deserve.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:13 pm
nimh wrote:
Of course, up in the wealthy north, it was often penniless youngsters and students who were active in environmental actions ... for sure. But on a macro-scale, Fox's assertion still seems an obvious enough one to me. Where do most American environmentalists hail from? Places like leafy Washington State and Vermont and pleasant Californian towns - or the grimy wastelands of the Rust Belt?

Fox's assertion was ridiculous.

It's true that the poor don't usually have as much concern for the eviroment because they have more pressing concerns.

Thing is, concern for their enviroment is not the primary factor in polluting it. Desire for material goods and the subsequent production is. So historically, the wealthy have always been responsible for a ridiculously large portion of the polluting. Even if they produce more green types the lifestyle drive more polluting.

Even the greenies in wealthy countries usually lead a lifestyle that taxes the enviroment far more than that of a poor person.

It's very surprising that you buy into Foxfyre's absurd claim at all. The US, where there are a lot of green types, drives a lot of the polluting.

The concern for the green makes the production pollute at a lower ratio but the affluence drives the production to the point where the production levels completely outweigh the meager improvements the concern can bring.

Do the math, look at history, examine the trends and you should see that there has never been truth to Foxfyre's assertion. Not a single time.

It's true that prosperity can increase concern, but not as much as prosperity increases the detriment.

Foxfyre said "Help everybody to have enough basic necessities to feel rich, and the people themselves will take care of the environmental issues."

This is simply not true. The "basic necessities to feel rich" require production that has historically always been polluting on average.

You are right that it hits the poor people the hardest though, but when Foxfyre says "It is not coincidental that the world's most polluted cities are also the world's poorest" she neglects to mention that it's also not coincidental that the poor regions tend to do a lot of production for the wealthy ones.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:40 am
Well Craven's always diplomatic take on these tthings (cough) is uncharacteristically short sighted in this case.

It is true that production can cause polution. It is also true that poverty frequently contributes to lack of sanitation and lack of immediate environmental concern and this also causes pollution.

But what Craven overlooks is that the rich clean up their immediate surroundings and refuse to have it polluted--they have the luxury of strenuously objecting when it is.

Give the poor the power that comes with success and prosperity, and they will join the ranks of those who demand a clean and beautiful environment.

When there are no places left in which pollution is tolerated, we will find ways to avoid polluting at all as is evidenced in those areas in which factories have been required to install emission scrubbers, all toxic materials must be properly disposed of, anyone who dumps in a river receives a severe fine, etc.

Broaden your sights Craven, and you will see the wisdom of what I am saying.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
See, the thing is, the rich clean up their own neighborhoods (or, rather pay someone else to do it). Other than that, many care little about the rest of the world. And Foxfyre, we're never all gonna be prosperous. The US economy would come crashing down if that should happen, so it would never be "allowed" anyway. Our economy flourishes because we keep people in other countries down, as well as here in the good old U S of A. The environment is not a concern in the free market economy benefiting the rich. Somebody's back yard, golf course and country club, maybe, but I'd hardly call that caring about the environment.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
Okay Suzy. I'll put you down as one who advocates everybody being poor. Of course if my theory is correct, that means goodbye environment period.

I have a more optimistic vision of potential I guess. I would rather work to help people lift themselves out of poverty than think lowering the bar for everybody else will solve the problems that exist.

This is one issue I put very high on my priorty list for this election by the way. I won't vote for any party that thinks that being succssful and prosperous causes poverty.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:10 am
On second thought the greatest danger we face is from the religious fanatics who have infiltrated our government.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
Fox wrote "I won't vote for any party that thinks that being succssful and prosperous causes poverty. "

Huh ?

I don't think either party thinks that.

The differences arein the manner each party views economic opportunity.

The Republicans under Bush seem to think if more opportunity is offered to the extremely wealthy (e.g. huge tax cuts), they will invest more, create more jobs, etc. That theory seemed to work well in the early part of this century when real re-investment was made by wealthy entrepreneurs who truly had America's best interests at heart. That same trickle-down theory does not seem to be working well anymore, however, as money does not get re-invested based upon what can benefit America; rather it's what benefit's me and me alone.

The Democrats seem to prefer to put money into the hands of those who might actuall;y spend it (lower and middle income people), thereby creating more demand, stimulating the economy, etc. They also seem to put more effort into leveling the playing field via things like affirmative action.

No one wants poverty, and no one wants to stifle individual creativity and drive. Beyond that, however, we have to ask ourselves "Is the playing field really level ? Is economic opportunity really equal ? True capitalism requires both I think, and I doubt that today we actually have either.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Okay Suzy. I'll put you down as one who advocates everybody being poor. Of course if my theory is correct, that means goodbye environment period.
You go ahead and do that, but you'd be wrong. It's not me who advocates people being poor. It's the reality of the way it's set up. I thought you claimed to no longer be an idealist?
I have a more optimistic vision of potential I guess. I would rather work to help people lift themselves out of poverty than think lowering the bar for everybody else will solve the problems that exist.
Yeah, so would I, but we can only get so far as mere citizens.
This is one issue I put very high on my priorty list for this election by the way. I won't vote for any party that thinks that being succssful and prosperous causes poverty.

Foxfyre, that's not what I said. Every individual who is wealthy is not to blame for others being poor, either; in case you think I'm also saying that. I'm not. But look at the history! Throughout the world, the US govt, with the IMF, the WTO and others, has gone to war to overthrow leftist-run countries and set up right-leaning regimes who then allow their countries to be raped and pillaged for the sake of the free-market world economy. The idea of a clean environment often stands in the way of that agenda. Sometimes people are made poor by this economic expansion and plundering of the environment. This is the same no matter who becomes president. The preservation of what is left of the environment is going to be up to us. Not so much by voting as by being outraged enough to do something about it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:18 pm
Suzy, Angie and Craven are doing so well addressing the poverty/pollution issue, I think I shall just read along for now.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
angie wrote:
The Republicans under Bush seem to think if more opportunity is offered to the extremely wealthy (e.g. huge tax cuts), they will invest more, create more jobs, etc. That theory seemed to work well in the early part of this century when real re-investment was made by wealthy entrepreneurs who truly had America's best interests at heart. That same trickle-down theory does not seem to be working well anymore, however, as money does not get re-invested based upon what can benefit America; rather it's what benefit's me and me alone.

Angie,
How about the airline bailout? After 9/11, although the airlines had been in trouble long before then, Bush gave them an "emergency" package of 5 billion in cash and 10 billion in guaranteed loans (and then some), and what happened? The airlines laid off thousands. 80,000 folks who never saw any of that "windfall" of taxpayer dollars to save the airlines. And this after cutting out $1 billion in the proposed budget that was earmarked to assist children who are victims of abuse or abandonment! A nation at war has no money to assist children, but airline bailouts? Well, that's important! (to the economy?)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
Our airlines are a national asset. We can not let them go down the drain.

No more than we let our rail system go to pot.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
Oh, surely not. But no reason they couldn't have shared their windfall with their employees, many of whom were let go suddenly and with no emergency allocation for their families. US Taxpayers gave them money to continue on, and they respond by taking away the jobs of thousands of taxpayers. Shareholders voted it thusly. Deregulation of the industry, or so the theory goes, certainly helped in the eventual failure of the airlines, who were going hog-wild.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:49 pm
Suzy
Airlines are running at a loss. They have to run as efficiently as possible to save as many jobs as they can. Unfortunately that may mean that people get laid off. The loan, I think it was a loan,was not given in the interest of social welfare.
0 Replies

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:15 pm
Some were loans, but at least $5 billion was a gift from the taxpayers.
Can they run at a loss and still make themselves a tidy profit? Airlines are not a government program nor are they non-profit.
I'm not opposed to an employer having to lay people off when necessary.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:46 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

It is true that production can cause polution. It is also true that poverty frequently contributes to lack of sanitation and lack of immediate environmental concern and this also causes pollution.

Note: poverty doesn't produce nearly as much pollution as production. Not even close.

Quote:
But what Craven overlooks is that the rich clean up their immediate surroundings and refuse to have it polluted--they have the luxury of strenuously objecting when it is.

I do not "overlook" this at all. I simply note the intellectual bankrupcy of comparing this slight localized improvement with the overwhelming harm the wealth causes through its demand for production.

Quote:
Give the poor the power that comes with success and prosperity, and they will join the ranks of those who demand a clean and beautiful environment.

They will also join the ranks of the demand for increased production, which will increase pollution.

Since desire for cleanliness is not as important a factor to the enviroment as demand for production the net result is increased pollution, not decreased.

Quote:
When there are no places left in which pollution is tolerated, we will find ways to avoid polluting at all as is evidenced in those areas in which factories have been required to install emission scrubbers, all toxic materials must be properly disposed of, anyone who dumps in a river receives a severe fine, etc.

This is a simple falsehood. The factories can reduce the ratio of pollution to production they produce but it's a blatant falsehood to say that they "find ways to avoid polluting at all".

Quote:

Broaden your sights Craven, and you will see the wisdom of what I am saying.

Fox, thanks for the laugh. "Wisdom"? That is rich.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:59 pm
Sorry Craven. For somebody who puts so much stock in substantiating claims, just using simple logic my argument is better than yours and I can even make mine without being insulting.

In Borger, Texas is a huge carbon black plant that used to lay layers of greasy soot over the town and surrounding countryside. The people of Borger tolerated this condition for decades until one day it occurred to them they didn't have to tolerate it. The owners of the plant of course resisted making changes, but the people insisted and prevailed. With scrubbers installed, the emissions from that carbon black plant are now scarcely less polluting than a baby's breath and gradually the decades of greasy soot across the country side is eroding and the land is returning to normal. I didn't take time to research it, but I am pretty sure this kind of thing has happened all across the country and in other countries as well.

Your opinion seems to be that everybody either has to be poor or live with the inevitable pollution due to production. I have too much faith in the human spirit and ability to believe that increased prosperity has to equate with pollution and damage to the environment.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 04:30 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Sorry Craven. For somebody who puts so much stock in substantiating claims, just using simple logic my argument is better than yours and I can even make mine without being insulting.

Foxfyre, you claimed that promoting wealth solves pollution, this has never been the case on any large enough scale.

Are you asking for negative examples of this?

Let me explain a function of logic:

You claim a solution based on a certain sequence.

If the sequence doesn't exist, it still might not be possible to prove that it doesn't.

For this reason burden-of-proof exists and the burden of proof rests on you to substantiate your claim.

Now, if you can't back up your claim, then readily admit to it. Put yourself down for shirking burden of proof and asking me to proove a negative.

If you explicitly do so, I will feel better about setting about to proove the negative of your assertion.

Quote:
In Borger, Texas is a huge carbon black plant .....

Fox, if you are taking anecdotal evidence like that...

Today I found 10 dollars, I also bough a can of coke and felt like littering...

Remember the scale of the problem (pollution) we are talking about, and how an example of a process changing or a prevalence of greenies is but a speck in the scale of pollution we speak.

A factory changing its ways is good and sweet and all, but we are talking about the problem of pollition and not anecdotes.

Quote:
Your opinion seems to be that everybody either has to be poor or live with the inevitable pollution due to production.

Nope, I said nothing about what I consider to be the solutions. I spoke of the lack of any evidence for your solution.

Quote:

I have too much faith in the human spirit and ability to believe that increased prosperity has to equate with pollution and damage to the environment.

I operate with less faith than do you in many areas Foxfyre.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:02 pm
Okay Craven, here are a few links produced with a very quick and cursory search. Mark yourself down for accusing me of using anecdotal evidence without noting that I alluded to that as an example of many. And also mark yourself down for accusing me of demanding that you prove a negative which I did not do.

Now, you can believe that prosperity improves environment or you can continue to believe that it doesn't. But before we completely highjack Phoenix's thread here, I will say that I am as convinced as before that I am right and that the party that advocates improving prosperity for all will get my vote as I believe that increased prosperity will do wonders for our environment.

Quote:
Prosperity in the form of goods, services and public service is a central objective, since prosperity improves the basis for fulfilling welfare and environmental policy goals in the longer term.
http://www.fm.dk/1024/visPublikationesForside.asp?artikelID=4503&mode=hele

Quote:
Quality of life improves with less poverty and better air quality
(Not exactly an intentional correlation but evidence of improved environmental conditions are implied less poverty)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/northsouth/article/0%2C2763%2C741183%2C00.html

Quote:
High-income countries, where environmental regulations are usually more stringent in comparison to middle or low-income countries. . .
http://econ.worldbank.org/view.php?topic=11&type=5&id=37045

Quote:
""Environmentalism"" itself is an artifact of civilization. The abundance generated by our technologically advanced civilization allows people to contemplate more than just survival. Creatures living in a natural state of subsistence cannot afford the luxury of refraining from unbridled exploitation of the environment. For example, without abundance, wilderness is a barrier for humans to overcome or avoid. With abundance, wilderness can be perceived as worthy of being preserved.
http://www.independent.org/tii/news/960300Semmens.html

Quote:
For years environmentalists ignored or discounted the strong correlation between economic prosperity and environmental concern. But when prosperity is at risk, people willingly trade environmental quality for economic gain. This occurs even in wealthy nations. In our political campaigns environmental themes are crowded out by economic issues. As Michael R. Deland, former chairman of the President's Council on Environmental Quality, observed: "in a recession there is an increased sensitivity to the job side of the equation."
http://www.fee.org/vnews.php?nid=181&printable=Y
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Okay Craven, here are a few links produced with a very quick and cursory search.

You dump links from a cursory search a lot. First I ask:

1) Do you agree with what the links say?

2) Do you assert that the links proove you claim?

If they fail in the first criteria I'd not wish to analyse positions you may subsequently disown.

If they fail in the second criteria... what is their purpose?

Quote:
Mark yourself down for accusing me of using anecdotal evidence without noting that I alluded to that as an example of many.

Unless your allusion to "many" constitutes evidence that prosperity solves the problem with pollution then it is an important flaw in your argument.

Quote:
And also mark yourself down for accusing me of demanding that you prove a negative which I did not do.

Incorrect, I asked you if you wish for me to prove a negative, and said that I'd feel better about doing so if you explicitly put yourself down for it and explicitly shirk burden of proof.

Quote:
Now, you can believe that prosperity improves environment or you can continue to believe that it doesn't.

Indeed, both are available options. Another available option is that prosperity can improve enviromental conditions in its immediate vicinity while at the same time worsening the conditions on the whole through the increase in production demand. Demand whose production can be satisfied elsewhere, as nimh noted.

Quote:
But before we completely highjack Phoenix's thread here, I will say that I am as convinced as before that I am right.....

Ok. I won't argue with that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:19 pm
While I think you're grasping at straws here in a futile attempt to avoid admitting defeat on this issue, this one hangs you:

Craven writes:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, both are available options. Another available option is that prosperity can improve enviromental conditions in its immediate vicinity while at the same time worsening the conditions on the whole through the increase in production demand. Demand whose production can be satisfied elsewhere, as nimh noted.

From the outset, I said success and prosperity for EVERYBODY will solve the environmental problems as EVERYBODY will then demand clean air and water and beautiful surroundings. You say it can't be done. I say it can. Will concede a draw on that one point.

The links I provided show that industrialization and production are not the only cause of humans eroding their environment. I'm not going to look for links to prove it, but I suspect some of the world's poorest and most polluted cities are probably the least industrialized.

I will still vote for the party that offers the best chance for all people to be successful and prosperous.
0 Replies