What Is the Most Important Challenge Facing the US?

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
There are numerous problems that we face in the US today. There are global issues, as well as issues of morality and conscience. Each of us have a set of priorities.

Areas which come to mind are:

abortion
civil rights
economy
environment
gay marriage
Iraq and the war
jobs
stem cell research
terrorism

Which challenge, now facing the US, is of most importance FOR YOU? I am not asking what you think is the most important problem, but the one which resonates with you, and why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,688 • Replies: 127
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:31 am
As a Dutchman I would say environment, because that will seriously effect the entire world.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:46 am
Just one huh? Rick is probably right, but Americans generally don't think about things like that until after we're in crisis mode. Might effect the profit margin. (For example, nuclear power, even though we've always known we'd have a SERIOUS waste storage problem). So the environment is not a real contender.
I can't decide at the moment which ONE is most important, but these are the ones that I feel are not even contenders for top slots!

abortion

gay marriage

stem cell research

IF we had to choose, these are issues that are lower on the scale of priorities than jobs and terrorism. We need to get crackin' on a viable, renewable, sustainable energy plan as well. This will help in the two areas I mentioned above.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
I'm rushed right now, but I vote for Enviroment + Civil Liberties + Constitutional Integrity.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:20 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=783275#783275

(the recent Family Circle commissioned survey. Interesting results, as I consider FC a not too centrist mag)
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:19 am
SOCK PUPPETS ARE THE REAL DANGER TO AMERICA'S FUTURE
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/021899/gifpics/20q.GIF

Sock puppets are a clear and present danger. they walk (perhaps crawl) amongst us plotting, plotting to rise from sock drawers everywhere and strangle us in our sleep, all because they, um, well, they hate our freedoms!

our only hope is to walk sockless and barefooted to stem the tide of new recruitments of fresh socks by the Sock Puppet Internationale and cut off their supply of new members.

this is serious stuff here, already millions have been infected by secret sock puppet sympathizers via foot fungi and it will not stop there. no, indeed. their vile bioweapon program infests showers nation-wide and can only spread if not countered.

one way to do this is to take john kerry's advice and wear our "flip-flops" with honor and pride.

there are however reports in the press of a violent schism inside the Sock Puppet High Secretariat (photo below, from their recent May Day parade) that indicate that one faction will stand for no opposition to their nefarious plans.

http://www.thepuppetplayhouse.com/db1/00066/thepuppetplayhouse.com/_uimages/Slide3.JPG

"High-ranking sock puppet murdered

"RALEIGH: On October 2, 1997, two days after her assignment to the position of Minister of Pseudo-Sock Puppets, Prophet, J.G. Bevin Conners brutally murdered Je Suis Bleu, a high-ranking tent bag puppet. The details are quite disturbing, and those with a weak stomach should skip the rest of this paragraph. Conners used a pair of children's scissors to cut Bleu's cord into several pieces. She then cut his body in half, and ripped one half into shreds by hand and with the scissors. Then, she wrapped the shreds into the other half of Bleu's body, and tied it closed with what was left of the cord.

"Due to the violent nature of his death, Bleu's spirit was unable to rest, and he now haunts Conners' backpack as J'été Bleu. When Bleu was asked for comment, he merely responded, "Âllo."

-The Disassociated Press"

http://www.holyducttape.com/oli/article4.html

some say look to the skies for seeing our danger, i say look to our drawers, sock drawers that is for the real danger to our nation.

and god bless the united states of america.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:09 pm
the reincarnation of suzy (can I call you suzy?), I also said 'as a Dutchman' cause I know that as an American you can have the feeling that fighting terrorism - to give an example - could be a bigger issue, as America being a serious target eventually (or: a more serious target than the Netherlands, I presume). However, I do believe for the entire world, the environment SHOULD be a bigger issue in the US. The US is one of the biggest users AND polluters of the world. The world can face serious problems as climate changes cause the water level of the oceans to rise, cause both floods and droughts etc.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:23 pm
I agree with you, Rick. Nothing else matters a whole heck of a lot if we can't breathe the air or if we have to mutate in order to evolve on this poisoned planet. We've got tons of asthma, lung cancers, birth defects, autism, brain damage and kids going through puberty a half-decade earlier than we did, and it is my belief that it is due in large part, if not entirely, to all the substances we've introduced for everyday consumption in one fashion or another. We need clean water and normal weather patterns and an ozone layer much more than we need a lot of other stuff, but we always focus on the quick fix instead. We make our own problems and let the next generation worry about them.
Kuvasz, Smile I have the sneaking suspicion that all those socks missing from my dryer have met up somewhere to form the resistance movement against us humans. I am tired of losing sleep over worrying about their evil agenda. This is yet another thing we must not leave for the next generation to clean up! If the sock puppets have their way, there might not BE a next generation!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
Honesty to get half the world which has been hating us these last 25 years to like us again and not wish us sorrowfull times.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:45 pm
Our whole political/social system. We need to redefine who is really governing the country; the people or big business. The Constitution declares that we have government by the people, it's time to get back to that! We also need to eliminate "imperialism" through business.

Sam
0 Replies

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 01:48 pm
Yep. But it is up to us (we the people) to do that. The government surely won't.
We all have a role to play in this.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:02 pm
IMO the most pressing problem of the day is Iraq. The need to finish the job, repair the damage we did and get our troops out of that quagmire.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Sam has a good point. So do several other posters. I won't narrow it down to one. No way to seperate issues anymore.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:50 pm
Edgar I am glad you agree with me. Most people think I'm nuts about this.

We have to stop them or we are doomed, yes, doomed! They are NOT to be trusted.

The face of America's enemy

http://tkblog.com/pics/linked/trusting.jpg

Notice their insidious propaganda, and the eyes! Ayieee! The eyes!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:52 pm
Rolling Eyes Ehh < Code Red; paranoid man on the run >
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:22 pm
Prosperity is the answer to environment. The more prosperous the people, the more they demand that their air and water be clean and their surroundings be beautiful. So, just find ways to help everybody get rich and the world's environmental problems will be taken care of.

People determined to exterminate an entire other people though are definitely a concern, and if they choose to do that in ways that poison the air, water, or the very soil we walk on, I see that as a much bigger issue.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
Rick, ignore my warnings at your peril.

Paranoid about the threat of Sock Puppets?

HARDLY, MY FRIEND!!

They have infiltrated the American media, casting their propaganda as just a plain old call for diversity. This Sock Puppet spokesperson seen on Meet The Press recently spun his web of deceit, humiliated Tim Russert, and made him look like a fool.

http://www.lyonpuppets.com/sockandrussert1.jpg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:52 pm
I happen to think one of the largest issues facing the US is a combination of terrorism, immigration, and Gay marriage. All of these are important to protect our borders, language and culture.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:06 pm
"The more prosperous the people, the more they demand that their air and water be clean and their surroundings be beautiful."
Where in the world do you gfet that idea, Foxfyre? I say it's wrong. And, actually, pretty ridiculous.
no offense.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:16 pm
Getting bush the hell out of washingon and back to texas as a private citizen. nothing is more important to the USA.
0 Replies