What Is the Most Important Challenge Facing the US?

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 07:51 am
Fox, are you saying that terrorists are the greatest danger to global environment?

Is this where we keep in mind that even Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't create the kind of environmental destruction thats posed by, for example, the mass destruction of the rainforest?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 07:52 am
nimh wrote:
Separate from this is the issue that even our present-day "cleaner" stuff - say, our cars - are still polluting enough for it to be a environmental disaster if everyone in the world would have one.

I'm thinking of two cars per family and big Humvees Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:08 am
Nimh, I'm saying that terrorists are a greater threat to the U.S. environment than any other factor at this time. Americans are largely doing a good job of preserving and protecting their environment as I believe all prosperous nations are. The destruction of the rain forests are a tragedy indeed, but, if climate conditions do not drastically change, these will regenerate as the people who own them become prosperous and learn to value them as we do.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:32 am
Hahaha! The rainforests aren't being destroyed by third world countries, Fox! That would be better blamed on the affluent nations using them. (The "people who own them" already are affluent!)

Finn, "Guess what? The best way to assure affluence is to assure democracy". Bring it on! Some democracy sounds good.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Rick, most of the big humvees on the roads are merely pickup trucks with different bodies on them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 10:46 am
nimh wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I don't think we are actually too far apart on this, but I have to say that using a comparison between the Russias of 1980 and 1910 to assert that the Soviet union was extreme in its affluence and consumption is ridiculous. [..]

From a baseline where there is no industrialization, it goes without saying that with increased production there is increased pollution.

Well, quite. And though many developing countries already have blossoming/sprawling industries, much of the developing world is still in a pre-industrialized stage, like Tsarist Russia was. To assert, as Fox did, that once these areas and countries get more prosperous, the problem of pollution will be "solved" is therefore ridiculous, because said prosperity will for at least a large part be fuelled by industrialization. The example of the Soviet Union actually shows that pollution there, too, came with increased prosperity and industrialization. So instead of refuting the assertion that more affluence and consumption will (at least initially) result in more pollution, as you claimed it did, it actually underlines it.

Of course, the developing countries theoretically have the benefit of the lessons we've learned. Over time, we have come to produce in cleaner ways - you could hope that countries starting or progressing on the industrialization path now use the cleaner tools straight away. Problem is, much of this cleaner production is also more expensive for the company involved than the old-fashioned dirty production. Much of it is only used here because we've put laws and regulations about it in place. Third World governments do not have the luxury to make much of such demands to (either domestic or foreign) companies. Employment and investment are hard enough to come by as it is.

Separate from this is the issue that even our present-day "cleaner" stuff - say, our cars - are still polluting enough for it to be a environmental disaster if everyone in the world would have one. That means either a much more drastic push towards cleaner technology (in this example, electric or hydrogen-based cars or whatever one could come up with) has to take place, or we do need to check our consumption behavior. Probably both.

You neglected to include the following, essential element of my argument in your quote:

However from the baseline of an already industrialized world, it is not, at all, axiomatic that increased production results in increased pollution, and it is affluence (enabled by democracy) which can and will lead to a change in the original paradigm.

It is highly improbable that any developing nation will duplicate the experience of Tsarist Russia's move into the industrialized world, unless it also duplicates its dictatorial experience.

The improvement of technology over the last 100 years alone will result in a lesser degree of pollution, however it would be ridiculous for me to place any real emphasis on this element of the equation.

The key element is a political and economic environment wherein a country's citizen will have the luxury to consider the state of their physical environment, and the freedom and power to influence their government's stewardship of that environment.

This is the distinguishing feature between the United States and Western Europe, and the former Soviet Union and China.

While heavy industrialization, by any standard, existed and exists in the former Soviet Union and China, it stretchs, to the breaking point, the use of the terms to suggest that during this period they have exhibited affluence and conspicuous consumption, and they certainly have not exhibited democracy.

It is not coincidence that where consumption is increasing in China, so too are economic reforms and a minimally registered reduction in absolute political control by the center.

As I've previously argued, industrialization (in one form or another) is here to stay, and is in the future of almost every nation on earth. The notion that limitations can somehow be imposed on industrialization and by extension increased affluence and consumption is unsustainable. Who will enforce such limitations? The US and Western Europe? The UN? Some league of enlightened Third World Nations?

Even less likely is a viable global consensus on a voluntary reduction.

Even developing democratic nations are not about to limit the growth of their economies and preclude growth of the personal affluence of their people to join in such a pact, for the benefit of the nations that have already achieved this status.

A plan for strict global limitation on industrialization and consumption has virtually no hope of success, but any chance that it might have would depend upon the developing nations stabilizing the level of affluence around the world by reducing their own standards of living while subsidizing those of the developing nations. The only scenario where such an incredibly drastic move might be made is one where a global environmental disaster has actually developed and with direct and catastrophic results: ie the deaths of millions throughout the world. This is the stuff of speculative fiction, and hardly something to plan around.

The developed nations must continue their effort to reduce pollution and, it is probably the case that they need to increase restrictions to force the sort of technological developments that will become tomorrow's solutions.
Even here there is a fine line to tread, and reasoned educational efforts and dynamic leadership is required.

At the same time democracy and economic reform must be vigorously promoted and supported around the world. Dictators are not going to voluntarily limit industrialization or adopt environmentally sound policies. Subsistence level people are not going to think about the impact of a decimated rain forest when they need to clear stretchs of woodlands to establish poorly yielding fields.

There is a thick thread running through the environmental movement that holds that consumption is bad and that affluence is destructive. I would argue against these holdings, but whether they or I am right, this is not a message upon which successful environmental policy can be built. Any time your objective requires a rapid, dramatic and fundamental change in the way people think and behave, you're destined to fail.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:15 pm
"Any time your objective requires a rapid, dramatic and fundamental change in the way people think and behave, you're destined to fail."

Hmm... as with civil rights and such?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Rick, most of the big humvees on the roads are merely pickup trucks with different bodies on them.

No difference. They both tend to use a lot of gasoline.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:18 pm
I'll repeat; "To argue that wealth doesn't produce more polution is so illogical, I'm not sure how anybody can come to that conclusion." For people who do not understand this concept, let me explain. Let's go back in man's history about 2,000 years. Very little polution was created by man because we didn't have the demand on raw materials or factories producing machinery and equipment that produced polution. Get the picture yet, or must I expand this idea?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'll repeat; "To argue that wealth doesn't produce more polution is so illogical, I'm not sure how anybody can come to that conclusion." For people who do not understand this concept, let me explain. Let's go back in man's history about 2,000 years. Very little polution was created by man because we didn't have the demand on raw materials or factories producing machinery and equipment that produced polution. Get the picture yet, or must I expand this idea?

First, you are asserting that the acquisition of wealth is synonymous with industrialization. It is not.

Second, wealth was created 2,000 years ago and throughout the pre-industrialized, non-polluted history of man.

Third, you yourself provided an example of how creating wealth might work towards reducing pollution.

Clearly I don't get your picture so if you are still holding onto it you may wish to expand upon your idea.

I don't think anyone has argued that the acquisition of wealth hasn't already or won't in the future result in pollution. Instead the argument has been that it is not axiomatic that the acquisition of wealth has always and must always result in pollution.

Get the picture now? Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:04 pm
Finn, You'll NEVER get the picture.
0 Replies

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:42 pm
A few years ago the Los Angeles Times carried
a special report on the rainforests of Borneo in the South Pacific. By their own testimony, the people there lived contented lives. They hunted, fished, and raised food in their jungle orchards and groves. But their entire way of life was ruthlessly wiped out by a few giant companies that destroyed the rainforest in order to harvest the hardwood for quick profits. Their lands were turned into ecological disaster areas and they themselves were transformed into disfranchised shantytown dwellers, forced to work for subsistence wages-when fortunate enough to find employment.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
Who owned the companies doing the destruction Suzy? You can look at country after country after country in South and Central America, in Africa, and in Asia where people one lived in relative peace and harmony. Once totalitarian governmetns took over, all that changed. As Finn has pointed out, and I concur, the acquisition of wealth alone isn't enough as bad governments will and do rape and pillage the people and resources. But once there is democracy and the people are empowered to achieve success and prosperity, the people will invariably value and protect their environment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:28 pm
Fox, What are you smoking? Do you really believe consumers give a drat about our environment? You must live in another planet. Why do you think the majority of people continues to buy gas-guzzling cars and not hybrids - or smaller cars that consumes less gas? You're offered only one guess. Otherwise, it'll be too difficult for you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:32 pm
C.I.
Frustrating isn't he? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 05:37 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Who owned the companies doing the destruction Suzy?
Foxfyre, I suggest you look that up! You might be surprised. You can look at country after country after country in South and Central America, in Africa, and in Asia where people one lived in relative peace and harmony. Once totalitarian governmetns took over, (or in some cases, once the US government installed somebody) all that changed. As Finn has pointed out, and I concur, the acquisition of wealth alone isn't enough as bad governments (Or the World bank or IMF) will and do rape and pillage the people and resources. But once there is democracy and the people are empowered to achieve success and prosperity, the people will invariably value and protect their environment.
Many third world countries were protecting and valuing their environment, and are not to blame for it's destruction! It's not always the fault of some "other" government. Wake up and smell the coffee!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:32 pm
Example of how rich pollute poor countries

I suppose that you could lay the blame exclusively on the poor people for allowing this, but, when it's a choice between eating and letting the USA send their contaminated recycling stuff, most prefer to eat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:37 pm
environmental refugees
0 Replies

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:38 pm
Sheesh. I didn't know that.
See? The poor do come in handy! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 07:59 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Finn, You'll NEVER get the picture.

It's tough to respond to such a detailed and reasoned rejoinder, but I'll try:

CI, I probably never will get your picture, but then I have never been very partial to the primitive school of art.
0 Replies