Why No Topic On The Journalist Murders?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:06 pm
I have to say I'm really surprised that I can't find a posted topic on a subject that is all over the news.

Things have changed in the relatively short time I've been gone.

Clearly it was a horrific crime; not least of all because it was on live TV.

I get why it is getting more coverage than maybe it should on TV, but nothing here?

It can't be because:

*The shooter was black
*The shooter was gay
*The shooter was an Obama supporter (so much so that he was reprimanded for wearing an Obama button while covering the news at an election site)
*That the gun he used wasn't an assault weapon and he passed on legally required background checks

None of the above, of course, means anything more than if he was a white Republican etc etc etc, but it is interesting how this seems to be a non-event for this forum.

No one is interested in it?

The guy was a nut...obviously, but he had a long history of complaining about all sorts of racial and sexual orientation discrimination that was never proved to have happened.

Do you think his pathology might have been fed by our current media or culture?

And after he shot these three people and killed two, he went to social media. What's up with that? Frankly, I find that the most frightening aspect of this because of what it implies for the future.

Well, I guess no one wants to talk about it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,626 • Replies: 33

Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Frankly, the whole thing personally makes me sick to my stomach. Also there's more info being sorted out so this is too preliminary to understand why and how this tragedy occurred.

I hate the knee-jerk reactionary dynamics it often goes on until the facts get sorted out. Often times media can go off and get facts wrong and create obfuscation and wrong thinking. The fact that this crime was shown on live TV and all who watched, saw these innocent people be executed. This must be unbearable for many other people to tolerate.
NSFW (view)
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
To me it was simply upsetting --- didn't really want to post more than what I see on the news that is enough.

I didn't realize the shooter was black until this morning when I saw his picture so don't think it had to do with that. And this is the first I heard he was gay or any of the other reasons you list.
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:54 pm
This is why acting out in violence is never a solution to any problem. It puts you in league with people like George Zimmerman. One is no better than another.

Might as well be ISIS or any other hate group. Nobody will care what this idiot has to say because he's just another murderer.

George Zimmerman: Virginia shootings are a ‘hate crime’ by black ‘pansy’ — and Obama’s an ‘ignorant baboon’

Quote:
George Zimmerman, the gun-obsessed killer of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin, offered some racist comments on the fatal shootings of two TV journalists by a disgruntled former colleague.

WDBJ-TV reporter Alison Parker, 24, and photographer Adam Ward, 27, were killed Monday morning when Vester Flanagan II opened fire on them during a live broadcast, also wounding Vicki Gardner, who was giving an interview.

Zimmerman, who says he can’t find work after his 2013 acquittal but recently teamed up with the owner of a “Muslim-free” gun shop owner to sell Confederate flag prints, reacted to the shooting by attacking President Barack Obama.

http://2d0yaz2jiom3c6vy7e7e5svk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/zimmerman1-2-800x430.jpg
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 03:59 pm
@jcboy,
Interesting that rather than focusing on the miscreant who killed these two people you've chosen to use this topic as a platform for bashing George Zimmerman.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
at a guess, I'd say you've provided your own answer

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

are the people who started the other threads you've referenced still active members here?

engineer

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
I think it is more that there is not much to say. Another senseless workplace violence story. Lots of current events don't end up as threads here, but you are free to start one. It's not everyone else's job to start threads you are interested in.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I have to say I'm really surprised that I can't find a posted topic on a subject that is all over the news.

I made a post about it just after it happened, but it didn't seem significant enough (to me at least) for its own thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/207642-49#post-6017260

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No one is interested in it?

I'd like to say some extremely unkind things about the father of the murdered reporter, but I've not yet come up with anything offensive enough to characterize my feelings.

Maybe once I find a way to put my outrage into words.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:48 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
This is why acting out in violence is never a solution to any problem. It puts you in league with people like George Zimmerman. One is no better than another.

No, sometimes self defense is the answer. Nothing wrong with being in league with Mr. Zimmerman. He had every right to defend himself.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
at a guess, I'd say you've provided your own answer

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

are the people who started the other threads you've referenced still active members here?

I think I started the Aurora theater shooting thread.

I'm not sure why I didn't feel like starting a thread this time. Maybe it was just the mood I was in.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:51 pm
Thank you for starting the topic. Me, I had internship work to do.

Anyone can start a topic. Instead of lamenting that A2K is going to hell in a handbasket (it has been going there since '02), why not make topics that interest you? I promise someone will answer you, when they can. Just like happened here.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There is a reason the shooting of Gabby Giffords, and the mass murdering in Sandy Hook and Aurora got near instantaneous attention and this one gets crickets.

The Sandy Hook thing got lots of attention because the Obama Administration decided to use it as a weapon to try to topple the US Constitution.

I commented on the Gabby Giffords thread because I'd been a fan of hers before the shooting. She used to be amazing on NASA funding issues.

And just after the shooting, I'd not yet heard her subsequent outrageous positions on guns that made me not like her so much.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 04:59 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yes
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
@engineer,
As a member of the left wing of A2K, yours is precisely the sort of answer I expected.

A left-wing shooter = ennui
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:07 pm
@jespah,
I'm not lamenting anything.

My question was rhetorical.

I know why it wasn't a featured, let alone "Popular" topic.

What I am trying to do here is to challenge mind-sets.

A perceived right-wing kook shoots em up and the place is abuzz (pun intended) Someone, very arguably, is a left-wing kook does the same and there is silence.

If you or others want to pass this off as nothing significant, fine.

It never ceases to amaze me how creative people can be in rationalizing things.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:11 pm
@oralloy,
You don't need to explain your involvement in these threads.

Even if it was only as a true-blue conservative trying to blame liberals (and I'm not saying it was) you were there.

Why one shooting attracts comments and another does not should incite questions. The answer that "Well, we're really just tired about stories of shootings" is purely bullshit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I did wonder too, though, when I would see this topic. But just figured no one really wanted to discuss another senseless act. But I figured someone would put it out there eventually.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 05:16 pm
@Linkat,
If you were waiting for the left-wing of A2K (ie the majority) it never would have come.

0 Replies