Another Day Where We Do Not Know If Any Gods Exist Or Not!

Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I know.

Or at least, you think you know.
izzythepush

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:04 am
@neologist,
There's a bird in the picture too.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
You think?
Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:28 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You think?

Yup.
Olivier5

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
The only thing you need to prove me wrong is to define "god".
Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 11:38 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The only thing you need to prove me wrong is to define "god".

Prove you wrong?

About what?
Olivier5

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 11:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
The subject of our discussion. What else?
Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 11:44 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The subject of our discussion. What else?

The subject of our discussion, Olivier...is what it always is. You wanting me to be wrong about something so much you damn near bleed from it.

So...how can I prove you wrong...when I agree.

You do.

Olivier5

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 12:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You could say that about anything and anybody though. And it's stooping at Trump level too, with the blood reference.

I've never seen you take up the challenge of defining "god". That's a fact. And yet you talk about "god" all the time. Odd that.
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 01:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Here's your chance!
Define God
izzythepush

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:04 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
(I fully expect Australia to thrash England.)

Blimey, looks like I got one right.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You could say that about anything and anybody though. And it's stooping at Trump level too, with the blood reference.

Talk about stooping. You just compared me to Donald Trump!

Quote:
I've never seen you take up the challenge of defining "god". That's a fact. And yet you talk about "god" all the time. Odd that.

As I've said on a couple of occasions...I don't think it is possible for humans to "define" god. All we can do is to tell others what we mean when we use the words in our posts.

For me...when I use the word "god"...I mean something that created what we humans call "the universe."

If that is not good enough for you...not much I can do.

And, since I have told you what I mean when I use the word...there is nothing odd about it.

izzythepush

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
For me...when I use the word "god"...I mean something that created what we humans call "the universe."

So that wouldn't include the Greek gods who wrested power from the Titans.
Frank Apisa

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

So that wouldn't include the Greek gods who wrested power from the Titans.

No.

But who was that masked man?
0 Replies

korkamann

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:44 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Excuse my jumping in here, Oliver5, but if Frank is not sure there is a God, how do you expect him to define such? His posts clearly infer he's not sure one way or the other whether there is a God. One can speculate regarding all the beauty of Nature surrounding us, the numberless species, including ourselves, but what we see tend to be a by-product of Nature. All the planets so perfectly aligned in the galaxies are held together by Gravity. One must admit there is a force, but since mankind is so limited in his mental capabilities, it's difficult to see how he can possibly define such a monumentally powerful source as a spiritual entity. Modern astronomy is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which brings together observational astronomy and particle physics, but alas, we still have so far to go.

Olivier5

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:54 am
@korkamann,
Quote:
Excuse my jumping in here, Oliver5, but if Frank is not sure there is a God, how do you expect him to define such?

Au contraire, if Frank cannot define what a god is, how can he speak of them gods so often, and can he say in confidence anything about them, like "we don't know whether they exist or not"?

If he can't define the concept, he should keep his stance more modest. He could rightly say: "I don't know what a god is", for instance, and leave it at that.
Olivier5

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:35 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Here's your chance!
Define God

For the sake of this discussion, God is IMO best defined as "the creator of the universe".
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Good for you. Now you proved me wrong... :-)
Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Excuse my jumping in here, Oliver5, but if Frank is not sure there is a God, how do you expect him to define such?

Au contraire, if Frank cannot define what a god is, how can he speak of them gods so often, and can he say in confidence anything about them, like "we don't know whether they exist or not"?

If he can't define the concept, he should keep his stance more modest. He could rightly say: "I don't know what a god is", for instance, and leave it at that.

Even I can tell that is from the book of Olivier. But I noticed you cleverly avoided mentioning the Chapter and Verse.

Why is that?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Good for you. Now you proved me wrong... :-)

I am sure this is clever, Olivier...but I am not sure what it means.