Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:22 pm
If you believe in God, what are his/her attributes?
If you don't believe, explain what the term means to you.

Just two things to consider:

Time/space limitations
Predetermination
Etc.

annifa

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
God = Dog, backwards
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:30 pm
annifa wrote:
God = Dog, backwards

Hence, Caninical Laws
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
You cannnot define God with words.
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:30 pm
i've always felt john lennon said it best

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain."
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:59 pm
God can be defined: God is the (essential nature) , the unique inifinite personal spirit holy, rightious, wise, and loving, who has created the existing universe, and who is preparing souls for eternal fellowship with himself through their own free response to the error on mental challenges and opporunities which he appoints.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 09:10 pm
Jason

Is that only your personal belief, or is it also that of a religious group you belong to?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
echi

That is the definition of "God" according to philosophy. I'm an atheist, and I don't belong to any religious group. I'm just trying to provide some facts here. Hope you don't get offend it by them. If you do, I apologize.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:21 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
God can be defined: God is the (essential nature) , the unique inifinite personal spirit holy, rightious, wise, and loving, who has created the existing universe, and who is preparing souls for eternal fellowship with himself through their own free response to the error on mental challenges and opporunities which he appoints.
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
echi

That is the definition of "God" according to philosophy. I'm an atheist, and I don't belong to any religious group. I'm just trying to provide some facts here. Hope you don't get offend it by them. If you do, I apologize.
Jason, would you mind giving the source of your definition? I can't place it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:26 pm
Quote:
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions www.answers.com
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:38 pm
Columbia University Press - answers.com
Quote:
God, divinity of the three great monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, as well as many other world religions. See also religion and articles on individual religions.

Quote:

Arguments for God's Existence

There are several famous arguments for the existence of God. The argument from the First Cause maintains that since in the world every effect has its cause behind it (and every actuality its potentiality), the first effect (and first actuality) in the world must have had its cause (and potentiality), which was in itself both cause and effect (and potentiality and actuality), i.e., God. The cosmological argument maintains that since the world, and all that is in it, seems to have no necessary or absolute (nonrelative) existence, an independent existence (God) must be implied for the world as the explanation of its relations.

The teleological argument maintains that, since from a comprehensive view of nature and the world everything seems to exist according to a certain great plan, a planner (God) must be postulated. The ontological argument maintains that since the human conception of God is the highest conception humanly possible and since the highest conception humanly possible must have existence as one attribute, God must exist. Immanuel Kant believed that he refuted these arguments by showing that existence is no part of the content of an idea. This principle has become very important in contemporary philosophy, particularly in existentialism. The consensus among theologians is that the existence of God must in some way be accepted on faith.
neologist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:42 pm
husker wrote:
Quote:
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions www.answers.com
Does omniscience mean God must, of necessity, know all things including the outcome of our lives?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:43 pm
yes
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:44 pm
The entity with every positive property.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:46 pm
Is in the book called "The Fundamental Questions" by Professor Navia and Professor Kelly. I can't recall the page number. I will have to ask Professor Kelly about it.

I just got it from my class notes.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:52 pm
OK, you took someone else's definition of God. No problem. Do you see any flaws in the definition itself?

For example, why does the writer aver that God appointed challenges?
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 11:01 pm
He doesn't appoint challenges? You must have read a different Bible, neologist. Do I have to explain it?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 11:11 pm
If you would explain it that may help me out.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 11:13 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
... through their own free response to the error on mental challenges and opporunities which he appoints.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:02 am
I think God is eternal and omnipresent. The law of nature is of God. Conscience and reason are of God. I think that to know the self is to know God. God is what we all try to be.
That's what I think right now.