Same Sex Marriage

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:10 pm
Tres
How do I put this. Religion is manmade and has no relation to God or the supreme being, if indeed there is one.
As for Christianity it's basis is beyond doubt Judaism. Jesus was a member of a Hebrew sect as were many of his disciples. The last supper was a Passover seder. It is quite understandable when you borrow from a religion you will make changes if not it remains the same religion. Should also note the Jesus died a Jew. Christianity and it's many laws and rituals evolved with time as did Judaism. It did not exist at the time of Jesus.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
au1929 wrote:
Tres
How do I put this. Religion is manmade and has no relation to God or the supreme being, if indeed there is one.
As for Christianity it's basis is beyond doubt Judaism. Jesus was a member of a Hebrew sect as were many of his disciples. The last supper was a Passover seder. It is quite understandable when you borrow from a religion you will make changes if not it remains the same religion. Should also note the Jesus died a Jew. Christianity and it's many laws and rituals evolved with time as did Judaism. It did not exist at the time of Jesus.

au - How do I put this... what???

Seriously, I'm not sure why you think I need the history/religion 101 lesson, or why you seem to think I don't know this stuff already, but thanks, I guess. ????
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:24 pm
Tres
I did not get that from what you wrote. Anyhow you are welcome.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:49 pm
There is, I insist quite unhumbly, rather more going on in any faith and faith community than simple true/false claims can accomodate. I think Tres' notion of profound differences between the earlier Judaism and later Christianity to be a far more defensible position than to argue for sameness. Judaism is, of course, an outgrowth of something earlier too, and is not the same thing as its predecessor(s).

King Lear is many things, but in part it is the most profound portrayal I've ever bumped into of differences between Christianity and Stoicism - and Stoicism comes out badly wanting by that comparison. I'm an atheist, but I do not hold that Christianity is a mere basket of tricks and delusions.

ci and sozobe...it's a very good argument you make. I would augment it with a view to the social import of sexual unions. Where 'handedness' or hair color or other such physical features, if rare in a population, may tend to place the bearers in some risk of being singled out, sexual unions are something rather more important to a social group. Power structures and family aspirations and values are often solidified by directing unions of the youthful. Likewise, sexual attraction and activity are frequently constrained (wrong side of tracks stuff). This is a big conversation, if an incredibly interesting one.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
I voted in support of same sex marriage but really I support the government noseing out of peoples bedrooms and personal lives in general. I don't think its up to the government or society to decide what it is I should be doing in personal life with another consenting adult.
0 Replies

faegirl

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 05:56 pm
Very Happy Hi! I'm writing a position paper on same-sex marriage for my English class, and just found this. I was just wondering if I could use some of the comments in this thread as quotes and such in my paper(with respects given to who said what of course Smile ) . Thanks!

Faegirl :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:12 pm
Hi faegirl! Welcome to A2K!

Well, I checked out the Terms of Service:

Quote:
C. You may download or copy the content and other downloadable items displayed on the Service for personal use only, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained therein.

If you were writing a book,...............
0 Replies

faegirl

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:30 pm
Hey ^_^ okay then, thanks...now I just need my interview..I don't suppose there's anyone around here that could be considered/is and expert who'd be willing to answer my 4 questions, perhaps?

faegirl :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:54 pm
I don't know if there is such thing as an expert on same-sex marriages.

What are the 4 questions?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:02 pm
I don't either, but if there are, I'll bet they know about as much as the experts on "opposite sex" marriages.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:09 pm
In the latest edition of Boston's Jewish Advocate newspaper, several Rabbis have come out in support of same sex marriages.

I am against these marriages and I'm not a Rabbi. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 04:10 pm
Only 3 respondents against same sex marriage. Wonder why!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:25 pm
Read the thread, New Haven. The answer to your 'Wonder why' might be found here - many of the voters provided comments.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:44 pm
This is a legal issue, property rights etc. and I don't see anything wrong with it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:47 pm
there should be a gay couple in every neighborhood-might keep out the religious fanatics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:02 pm
dys, I've got it even better, a gay couple bought the place upstairs from my apartment.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:05 am
Men should marry women and have children. Buy a house and pay off the mortage. This keeps the world going round and round!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:06 am
Imagine a world, where there were no heterosexual marriages, only same sex "unions". Consequence?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:08 am
ehBeth:

Only 3 against same sex marriages, because there are only 3 conservatives posting on this thread.

The liberals are ruining life and civilization !
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 05:00 am
lol
0 Replies