Same Sex Marriage

blatham

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:20 am
Quote:
Imagine a world, where there were no heterosexual marriages, only same sex "unions". Consequence?
Well, fewer of the sorts of people and ideas with which we disagree.

There are few idiotic prejudices - and idiotic arguments in support of the prejudice - kicking about which frost me more than this anti-gay thing.

"Human births will cease if everyone is a homo" is my big fav. The threat of this is knocking at our very door as we speak.

"It's unnatural" is up there at the top too. 'Unnatural' in this case would mean something which occurs in all cultures, in all periods of history; and which occurs broadly in other mammal species (and not just mammalian) is a thing unnatural. There's a winning argument.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:29 am
Smile some of the comments (against) are truly hilarious !
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:30 am
ZPG, not a bad idea
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 11:06 am
It would be a beautiful day, when people who have religious or moral objections use their objections to direct their behavior---and not impose it on other people.

I fail to understand how gay couples affect other people....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:52 pm
The "unatural" argument is quite ridiculous.

It's unatural for man to drive, it's unatural for a person to be on life support........
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:55 pm
My favorite dog, Jack, is flagrantly gay. There goes another nail in the 'unnatural' coffin.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:47 pm
There is even a name for it - the "pathetic fallacy"!

Homosexuality occurs throughout nature - therefore it is natural.

And, even if that were not true, Craven's argument clinches it. If you do not like "unnatural", take your clothes off, give away all your possessions and walk back into a cave. Happy hunting, 'cos you won't be able to grow any of those unnaturally bred food crops.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:54 pm
naturalistic fallacies are generally called "appeal to nature" or if it involves time honored traditions "argumentum ad antiquitatem".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:41 pm
yes, but the "natural" argument often goes on to talk about structures being made for each other- like penis and vagina - as an extension - my philosophy tutor called such arguments "pathetic fallacy" - but i may be wrong.

damned fine term, though!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:36 pm
guys

I checked around a bit for definitions of these two terms: pathetic fallacy and naturalist fallacy. The two I picked match my understanding:

Pathetic fallacy The attribution of human traits to nature or inanimate objects.

An important issue is how we interpret the repercussions of naturalistic accounts of phenomena. Philosophers refer to the belief that `the way things are in nature is the way they ought to be' as the naturalist fallacy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:51 pm
aaah....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 11:37 pm
do you think New Haven and the other conservatives have returned to their caves and the natural way?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 11:56 pm
No.

gasp!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 05:41 pm
just when i had a good coffee-fantasy goin' too.

<sigh>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:32 am
I'm a little late here, but (of course) I am for same sex marriage, reasons already given multiply by others, from equal financial and legal rights, to equal public dignity for love claimed.

But what did tweak my interest was Dlowan's quiet question about why promiscuity is so venomized, across the board, as it were. But that is another topic, I suppose..
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 02:03 am
I've met four people (so far) that are neither male nor female, or perhaps actually both. Their chromosomes were neither XX nor XY, and their body parts were fairly random combinations of male and female, yet still "fully operational". After doing some research, I understand there are at least 23 distinct sexes for human beings.

So ... if a hermaphrodite marries a woman, is that a same-sex marriage? What if they marry a male? What if they marry both, but carry the child of only one?

Thousands of people with their own idea of gender are awaiting your reply. Your judgement is final, because you have the authority to ostracize and hurt any human being you want.

PS -- The following website is very well-done, and our legal system might consider this option as well.
http://www.malepregnancy.com
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 08:05 am
Oss

The question of why our cultural inheritance contains such a deep and lasting antipathy to sexual pleasure (not the only coloration, of course, but clearly present) is a terribly interesting one. All such 'history of an idea' questions are quite complex and a bit amorphous, but not unassailable. One of the key books for me in attempting to understand this issue was Elaine Pagel's 'Adam, Eve and the Serpent' - I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 02:56 pm
CodeBorg, I had a friend who was as you describe. The cure for him was at the age of 13 they ripped out all of his female organs. He (?) went on to father 3 children - but, when I met him, was so confused and had always been confused as to what sex or creation he really was meant to be. He felt that part of his self had been irreparably and deleteriously changed forever -
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 05:53 pm
You prolly know this, CodeBorg, but in case:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa100400a.htm
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:23 am
Sozobe, yes I didn't want to give it away. :-) The website was so cool I wanted people to seriously consider the near future.

For men who are into dangerous sports, this might be just the thing though, no? Implanting ones own clone might be the ultimate body mod, or performance art!

PS -- I saw a PBS show about hermaphrodites (for lack of a better word). A therapist who has worked with over 50 of them said NOT ONE was happy about the surgery forced on them. Instead of us telling them which sex to be, he said, we should let a child tell us the nature of it's gender.

The Moral: Listen to your kids and find out who they are.
Then it really doesn't matter what shape or issues they have.
0 Replies