Suddenly A Plethora Of Threads Become NSFW

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:47 pm
@Thomas,
take a breath and hang on old friend...I didn't mean to traumatize you.
Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's a cogent observation, internet access is increasingly beyond the control of employers. Despite Whackeye's attempt to appear wise and well-informed in contradicting me (he cracks me up), employers are not going to be any more willing to see employees shopping on line on company time than they are that the same employees access any other non-work-related sites. That they are no longer able to control that activity as easily is the more important point. GB's observations about the restriction of the use of electronic devices at work goes righ to the heart of the employers' attempts to control employee activity. Given that employees are being paid, the employers strictures are perfectly reasonable.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are putting forth a false premise. Go look at the thread you speak of. The NSFW tag is not on the entire thread, it is only on your specific post, one out of a dozen others without such a tag.

http://able2know.org/topic/279607-1
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 03:14 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

That's what you said when you got me home last Saturday night, and then look what happened.

You haven't phoned, you haven't texted.....nothing.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 03:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
By the way, Hawkeye,even without the NSFW tag on your specific post, since it has a -10 thumbs down, it would still be collapsed from view as a result of collective use of the thumbs by the community and it has nothing to do with the site's moderation policies.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 05:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

By the way, Hawkeye,even without the NSFW tag on your specific post, since it has a -10 thumbs down, it would still be collapsed from view as a result of collective use of the thumbs by the community and it has nothing to do with the site's moderation policies.

do you have any data on how many people use that function? I know that I dont. Mostly I feel that those who dont care enough about seeing unpopular views that they allow A2K to collapse threads on them unseen are not worth the headspace it would take to morn that they did not see what I wrote. I am a truth seeker and and a truth teller, and the better correlation is between truth and unpopularity than is between truth and popularity......I take negative vote numbers as a sign that I am on to something,
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 05:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

You are putting forth a false premise. Go look at the thread you speak of. The NSFW tag is not on the entire thread, it is only on your specific post, one out of a dozen others without such a tag.

http://able2know.org/topic/279607-1

I have never seen a NSFW tag on a individual post, and I dont see one on that -10 post. The only tags I ever see are on threads, and much of the time those are useless.

Re that post: the sentiment "he is not the greatest guy but I would not wish his affliction on anyone" should not be considered negative or negated at all, the fact that it is points to a problem with the other folks at A2K, not with me.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 05:26 pm
Also, you can opt out of other people's thumbs down.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Also, you can opt out of other people's thumbs down.

Robert has been wrong about some things, but allowing A2K to be programed to show users everything is one of the things that he did right.

Anyone who knows anything about those who successfully seek knowledge or power knows that one thing that they all have in common is that they insist upon trying to know everything, on seeing everything, hearing everything. Those who try to cocoon themselves in the attempt to remain comfortable will never amount to anything. One the the most major things wrong with America today is that we far too often try to pander to those who demand to remain comfortably ignorant. One of the things that makes A2K special is that Robert and his crew have not so far at least completely caved into the demand.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 06:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
So, let's see if I have this right. The use of the NSFW tag makes you uncomfortable, as does the collective use of thumbs down by people to show displeasure, disagreement or indifference to a post. Because of this discomfort, you don't want to see it used.

Aren't they expressing their own version of truth telling that you say you so eagerly seek? Should your discomfort with their choice of expression be enough to cause the removal of the voluntary option each of us has the choice of using or not using?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 06:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
Well worded.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 06:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
So, let's see if I have this right. The use of the NSFW tag makes you uncomfortable (I said it is non productive and stupid, which is quite far from uncomfortable), as does the collective use of thumbs down by people to show displeasure ( I said that I take large numbers of vote downs as a sign that I am on to something, which is even further from uncomfortable), disagreement or indifference to a post (a vote down is a huge degrade from a response and counterargument, which I would much rather see) . Because of this discomfort, you don't want to see it used. (Your inappropriate use of the word discomfort makes me question your comprehension skills tonight...this constantly talking about appetites and comfort that we see all around A2K and in the national discourse is in fact extremely shallow. Lets aim for better MKay? What if we lived in a world were words and ideas were judged by how close they track with reality rather than as we do now by how they make us feel, wouldnt that be an improvement? I am sure that you (figuratively speaking) are hot **** and all, but believe it or not the university really does not give two shakes about your feelings )

Aren't they expressing their own version of truth telling that you say you so eagerly seek? (in a lazy drive by America circa 2015 way.....sure) Should your discomfort (O.M.G) with their choice of expression (I think I am on solid ground wanting to encourage better and more full expression) be enough to cause the removal of the voluntary option each of us has the choice of using or not using? (the biggest problem with the New A2K is that it is too complicated, Americans are in this day and age basically lazy and often pretty stupid, so any talk of getting rid of options gets complicated fast).
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:17 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

That's what you said when you got me home last Saturday night, and then look what happened.

You haven't phoned, you haven't texted.....nothing.

Oh stop your whining. I left a 20 on the nightstand
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 07:50 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I was just being snarky for the hell of it as I've been known to do from time to time. Look what happened. Mr. Green

I am shocked --- shocked! --- that there is snark going on in this establishment.

You were shocked - I was more than shocked, perturbed and...(looking for stronger words..)

I've never known that gentleman to be snarky before!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 08:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
So, let's see if I have this right. The use of the NSFW tag makes you uncomfortable (I said it is non productive and stupid, which is quite far from uncomfortable), as does the collective use of thumbs down by people to show displeasure ( I said that I take large numbers of vote downs as a sign that I am on to something, which is even further from uncomfortable), disagreement or indifference to a post (a vote down is a huge degrade from a response and counterargument, which I would much rather see) . Because of this discomfort, you don't want to see it used. (Your inappropriate use of the word discomfort makes me question your comprehension skills tonight...this constantly talking about appetites and comfort that we see all around A2K and in the national discourse is in fact extremely shallow. Lets aim for better MKay? What if we lived in a world were words and ideas were judged by how close they track with reality rather than as we do now by how they make us feel, wouldnt that be an improvement? I am sure that you (figuratively speaking) are hot **** and all, but believe it or not the university really does not give two shakes about your feelings )

Aren't they expressing their own version of truth telling that you say you so eagerly seek? (in a lazy drive by America circa 2015 way.....sure) Should your discomfort (O.M.G) with their choice of expression (I think I am on solid ground wanting to encourage better and more full expression) be enough to cause the removal of the voluntary option each of us has the choice of using or not using? (the biggest problem with the New A2K is that it is too complicated, Americans are in this day and age basically lazy and often pretty stupid, so any talk of getting rid of options gets complicated fast).

Somebody's feelings are hurt. Buck up Hawk, life is hard for you truth tellers and assholes. But somebody has to do it, too bad it has to be you, you grandiose moron.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 08:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Chucking negative labels at other people is not participating in the debate, nor is it holding down your part of a conversation. It is evasion and standofishness. Why is that what you want to do? Do you hate people? Are you an idiot? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Ionus

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Its saying what we already know . People don't like their opinions challenged or to have to re-evaluate their opinions . It is too hard on their ego .

Quote:
You wouldn't find 5% Europeans indulging with half the adjectives you used to describe what American right wing supposedly stands for.
I find that easy to believe, especially as I was describing the LEFT wing .
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh stop whining and man up, you crybaby.
Ionus

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Those who try to cocoon themselves in the attempt to remain comfortable will never amount to anything.
THAT's just begging to be put on ignore . They don't want to discuss, they want to be told how clever and inciteful their current opinion is .
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:13 pm
@glitterbag,
I have too much going on lately to play in the gutter with you Glitter, maybe some other time. If you are capable and interested in interacting on an educated adult level you know where to find me.