Suddenly A Plethora Of Threads Become NSFW

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:12 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
NSA does not allow cell phones, CD's or DVD's or any electronic device to be brought into the building. Access to the regular internet is restricted to non-secure areas.

quite a few companies still enforce this by blocking non-company WIFI access in their buildings

my employer uses software to take screenshots regularly of all employees' monitors. they run it through some kind of program to look for inappropriate access.

they don't say that people can't access the internet at work but there is a large document that reviews what's appropriate and what's not
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I can't fault a company for expecting the employees to actually perform work for which they are being paid. I used to go to a large medical practice devoted to eye care, laser surgery, the whole shebang. One of the docs told me they had to remove internet access to most of the computers because too many of the support people were accessing their Facebook accounts while they were working. The downside, was if a doc needed the internet to look up something, they needed to get access from the computer gods which just made it more difficult.

I remember years ago asking folks on Abuzz where were they when they logged into Abuzz. I was surprised how many people said they posted from their jobs. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed so strange if something like that was available to DOD employee's. It wasn't easy to fire federal employees, but playing solitaire on your computer would get you 2 weeks off without pay, and would screw you for future promotion. (OK, physical altercations, DUI arrests, sexual assaults, theft and other things would mean automatic loss of security clearence, and usually led to termination, or participation in armed robbery, home invasion and murder were also frowned on)

In all fairness, the solitaire access was only available when the govt completely
switched out one system for another to help IT people teach the workforce how to use this new and strange computer do-over. Something tells me the solitaire option hasn't surfaced in the last 20-25 years.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Miller

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

WTF? Are we evolving into a right wing Christian site?

I agree, too me this has become exactly like the "trigger warning" bullshit that goes on at University now....it is pandering to the overly sensitive, which can go no place good.

Did you say "evolving"? Where will end?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 09:21 am
@Miller,
mea culpa...I clearly should have said devolving Laughing
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
chai2

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:22 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Now that made me snort.

ditto.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:35 am
@Ionus,
The down voting on you is saying it pretty loud !
You wouldn't find 5% Europeans indulging with half the adjectives you used to describe what American right wing supposedly stands for.
(...make no doubts not even in south Europe !...)
...the fact that in America they can go 50%/50% is beyond scary...
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:48 am
@blueveinedthrobber,

If I remember correctly, A2K used to have a dirty-word filter that wouldn't even let you post supposedly-offensive language. Allowing to post it and flagging it as NSFW may still offend you as fascist, but it's less fascist than the A2K you chose to join. Any readers who find the NSFW flag worthless can freely ignore it.
NSFW (view)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:51 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
If I remember correctly, A2K used to have a dirty-word filter that wouldn't even let you post supposedly-offensive language

I remember it being planned but not implemented.
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:55 am
@hawkeye10,
I know the dirty-word filter was implemented because the infrastructure comes with phpbb, the software framework A2K was originally built on. The filter went away after Robert's company re-implemented A2K on top of software it had made in-house (also known as "the new A2K").
NSFW (view)
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 11:01 am
@Thomas,
That is a feature that can be turned off, and might have been. I dont recall it being turned on here, but I admit that my using blue language is recent so I might not have run afoul of it if it was on. My use of "offensive" language is less thoughtless habit and more rebellion against the thought police.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 11:07 am
@hawkeye10,
I can't help you there. If you insist on being the tragic victim of thought prosecution, be my guest.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 12:28 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

If I remember correctly, A2K used to have a dirty-word filter that wouldn't even let you post supposedly-offensive language. Allowing to post it and flagging it as NSFW may still offend you as fascist, but it's less fascist than the A2K you chose to join. Any readers who find the NSFW flag worthless can freely ignore it.

I was just being snarky for the hell of it as I've been known to do from time to time. Look what happened. Mr. Green
NSFW (view)
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:36 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I was just being snarky for the hell of it as I've been known to do from time to time. Look what happened. Mr. Green

I am shocked --- shocked! --- that there is snark going on in this establishment.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:43 pm
@Thomas,
Where is Dys when we most need him.

He must have said something that applies..

I do know, Dys is in our brains.
0 Replies